Re: IBI funding

Hugh McLaughlin

Kathleen and all of the IBI decision makers,

The lack of a credible way of measuring biochar properties and evaluating appropriateness and "quality" for a range of applications has been a chronic and enduring criticism of the current biochar marketplace. I have studied this particular challenge and there are real improvements that can and should be made. I would ask that a program be developed to address this situation and fix it. If it does not happen under this grant, it will likely never be attempted and the market doubt will persist and fester. I will contribute what I know, but it has to feed into a program that leads to real change. Remarking that the IBI Standards allow for modification does not address the problem that change is too little and too slow.

Regards,

Hugh McLaughlin, PhD, PE

On Friday, April 30, 2021, 7:28:47 PM EDT, Susan Klinker <suzklink@...> wrote:

Hi Kathleen, Thats great news!  Here are my thoughts on what's needed to scale up the bio-char industry.

PR Campaign to drive market demand:
  • Educational Outreach within the Agricultural sector including incentives for use and test plots.
  • Educational Outreach within the Public sector, including incentives for use and test plots.
  • Educational Outreach within the schools to increase understanding of soil health in younger generations.
  • Marketing to the General Public, including education on how to use biochar in backyards.
  • Mass publicity sharing amazing success stories of biochar re-generation of soil health toward climate change.
  • Creative messaging through social media and younger generations (FUN! Tik Tok viral storm! )
Lobbying Legislators for ongoing funding support to solve specific local problems, especially water conservation and areas suffering from desertification.

Philanthropic Funding for further capacity building in the form of jobs & equipment for scaled up distribution in the private and non-profit sectors.

Collaborative Partnerships bringing together multiple organizations to solve specific social & environmental issues. (Universities, etc)

Non-profit support to help educate and assist diverse populations to properly adopt, use, and understand bio-char successfully. Workshops, films, hands on support with design and product application.  (Americorp, etc)

Subsidized distribution in the early days of scaling up the industry.