Re: Seminar by Rachael Smolker of Biofuelwatch

Dick Gallien

Thanks Geoff and Nando---It's an oldie from the 40's, "Seems I've heard that song before", with Harry James on trumpet.

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 3:28 PM Nando Breiter <nando@...> wrote:
Geoff,

The result of some digging about a decade ago seemed to indicate Biofuel Watch was being funded by fossil fuel interests. BFW has always doggedly pursued an agenda fueled by disinformation, undeterred by arguments or common sense. Her doctorate seems to be about dolphins, and for a PhD that bills herself as an authority on biochar, her published work on the matter is rather scant.  See https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rachel-Smolker

In any case, her efforts to hold back biochar adoption are not needed. The fact that it is already so hard for a biochar-based business to gain financial traction makes them completely unnecessary.

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 9:14 PM Geoff Thomas <wind@...> wrote:
Hi Hugh, haven’t we heard that name before?

It certainly contains the same dishonesty, do you want an analysis?
Other than the same nonsense by anti renewable opponents, “it is going to take too much of our precious land” (no figures provided, all sorts of hidden - unexplicated assumptions), but the almost word for word, "One gets the impression that (for some inexplicable reason) there is great interest in finding something useful to do with biochar.
This is such a dishonest sentence, that Biochar can draw down potentially huge amounts of Carbon is dissed by calling it ‘for some inexplicable reason’ as if there was no reason when it is a life and death for the human race reason, and the attempt to sound wise and contemptuous by saying that biochar is looking for a reason, when all the things she mentions are Very good reasons, not attempts to find a reason, streuth, the woman is so obviously slimy, what is the motivation behind her supporters?

Cheers,
Geoff Thomas.
Australia.

On 12 Jul 2021, at 12:53 am, Hugh McLaughlin via groups.io <hsmclaughlin@...> wrote:

Hello Group,

There is a seminar this Tuesday:

Biochar: What it is and what it is not

Rachel Smolker, Ph.D.

Tuesday July 13th from 7:00 - 8:30 p.m.

You can register at:

They seem to save the seminars to be viewed later - which is another way to see Dr. Smolker's perspective.

Also attached is a recent opinion piece by the same. For those who want to meet the opposition of biochar, this is a place to start.

- Hugh McLaughlin

--
Nando Breiter
http://biochar.info