Re: Seminar by Rachael Smolker of Biofuelwatch

Roberto Garcia

In  spanish we have a say: " With friends like these you do not need enemies"

El mié., 14 de jul. de 2021 a la(s) 9:09 p. m., Benoit Lambert
<biocharben@...> escribió:
Dear group,

I listened too and… oh well same as in 2011, or close. No recognition that IBI is against cutting off virgin forests to produce biochar… so biochar gets associated with energy production using biomass broadly speaking. Not fair.

But what really got my attention is when someone asked what Ms Smolker thought of using ruminants to store carbone. He/she was referring to holistic grazing management promoted by Alan Savory and soil4climate (I am an advisory board member). What André Voisin discovered in the fifties, and Savory confirmed through his observations, la dynamique des herbages, grasses’ dynamic, is a major discovery. It is meaningful because it shows she is not interested in solutions at all.

I am preparing an article Biogeotherapy — life as a geological healing force. Holistic grazing, regenerative ranching as they call it, is one of the 4 pillars of nature-based climate solutions with biochar, no-till & cover crops, massive reforestation. Than I have identified about 15 other nature-based solutions including blue carbon, hemp, inga, agro-forestry, etc.

The fact Rachel had no idea what the person was referring to is very telling. She does not understand or measure how trophic chains shaped climates, how bisons were a geological force—and how big African herds are still today a local geological force.

Dr. Benoit Lambert
Founder and President / Fondateur et président
Cbiochar Inc., https://cbiochar.com
555 Ch. Réal, n° 105,
Sutton, QC, Canada, J0E 2K0
BioGéoThérapiste, auteur/blog https://cologie.wordpress.com
Membre: Fondation Stratégie énergétique, biosphère et société, Genève
Reviewer/réviseur IPCC/GIEC, Working Group I (WGI), Sixth Assessment Report (AR6), in particular Chap. 5 Carbon dioxide removal methods/biochar.
Tel: 450 775 7444

Le 14 juill. 2021 à 20:35, Rick Wilson via groups.io <rick012@...> a écrit :

Ron, I believe that voluntary carbon credits will help bringing biochar into solutions for some applications.

The nature of biochar for soils is that it is a multifunctional amendment.  You can’t put biochar into the soil and change just one thing.
For instance, if you see a positive growth response, it could be attributed to many possibilities, for instance.

1) the soil was low in potassium and calcium which are usually found in biochar
2) biochar added air porosity to the soil so now the microbes can breath and do their thing, and water can now flow through it
3) you reduced the electrical potential so that nutrients can now better flow into the plant
4). The soil was sodic so that you can now rinse out the sodium
5)  The biochar added CEC
6) you created a magnetic field
7) you added beneficial microbes
8) The biochar attracted UFO’s who made the plant grow bigger
.
.
.

And you are free to make a claim around cause and effect that you see fit, because it can’t be proven given all the possibilities.

The breakthrough that is needed, the Academic Hero who has yet to emerge, will build a model - framework based on physical and chemical properties of soil and biochar and other amendments with the ability to identify where constraints are in the soil and which ones biochar or other amendments can help with. By analogy, in chemical engineering (I am one), you can predict the physical properties of materials you never tested using Group Contribution framework, and those methods work quite well.  Same for chemical kinetics.

We need a group contribution method for soil and amendments.

Until then we have to hope for AI like you suggest…

Rick

On Jul 14, 2021, at 5:09 PM, Ron Larson <rongretlarson@...> wrote:

Rick et al

See below.

On Jul 14, 2021, at 5:36 PM, Rick Wilson via groups.io <rick012@...> wrote:

Ron, great summary, thanks for sharing!

Re Cool Planet.  Economics were independent of the price of oil.  If the oil price went down, the RINS credit went up, and visa versa.
[RWL:  Apologies.  i vaguely recall your saying this once before.

Cool Planet failed because it could not create a large enough market for biochar.  We are still failing on this dimension.
to yet ready for.
[RWL:   is there a credit amount or method that will change that?

Biochar is a complicated material, they are all different, where a particular one can help in soils is situational (soil challenge, plant type) dependent, it not a universal tool.
There is not accepted guidance on where it can help and which char characteristics are important per application type or soil challenge, how to apply it, specific enough to act on with precision, and there is a divergence of opinions among advocates, which confuses the outsiders.
[RWL:   Rachel said something similar - but that was not her main message.  With some 300 or more new publications per month, we should be solving some of that.  i think we badly need Ai = artificial intelligence.  Or is the problem so severe that AI and biochar still need more time?

Ron

Rick

On Jul 13, 2021, at 8:30 PM, Ron Larson <rongretlarson@...> wrote:

Geoff and list;

I listened and hope to hear Frank’s thoughts also.

It was much the same as other BFW material - but she willing to grant that there have been some successes -  to me,  that seemed new.   Her cites were mostly pd - and to BFW material.

I think about 75 on the webinar - a very friendly audience - united against all cutting of trees - i think of any kind;   moderator was supportive.

She got into some difficulty being against electric cars and PV.  Claimed some group (maybe Sierra Club) is proposing to cut down forests for PV.   First time I have heard that one - and doubt it.  i found a site with a similar story

This was not a venue to ask questions - and I didn’t (moderator gave no names of questioners).   I didn’t hear anything strongly pro-biochar

She clearly is way behind on biochar progress -  except she acknowledged biochar was growing fast.
       She said biochar was hard to find and no major producers - all back yard.  Gave a plug for Kelpie’s equipment.
It should be easy to quote from her material on her lack of real biochar knowledge.  Her cites were all old - except a new one that was unreadable.

Lots of time spent on Cool Planet and Mike Cheiky - with no explanation that their business plan was based on $100 oil - which happened - but later got down to $50.  now near $75.

Never mentioned any of the positives -
growth in publications per month
industrial growth rate (2-year doubling time??)
biochar webinars per month
support by numerous Forest services and foresters
Activities in China
IBI and range of countries with major biochar programs

Ron

On Jul 13, 2021, at 7:43 PM, Geoff Thomas <wind@...> wrote:

Hi Frank, I was able to enroll, but not open the meeting, then again my computer is getting old..
How did you go?

Cheers,
Geoff Thomas.

On 13 Jul 2021, at 10:40 pm, Frank Strie <frank.strie@...> wrote:

Biochar: what it is and what it isn’t

Rachel Smolker

Rachel Smolker is co-director of BiofuelwatchHer work has spanned local grassroots organizing to participation in international processes, including the United Nations conventions on climate and biodiversity. She has researched, written and organized on the impacts of biofuels, bioenergy and biochar on land use, forests, biodiversity, food, people and the climate.
She has a Ph.D. in biology from the University of Michigan and worked previously as a field biologist. She lives in Vermont.

This event is part of the Forest Speakers Series, a collaboration of Climate Action Now and Save Massachusetts Forests

Register HERE for this talk
The talks are free, but registration is required for EACH meeting. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with your link for joining the event.

Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/963080281191217