From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Wilson via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 3:24 PM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [EXTERN] [Biochar] Seminar by Rachael Smolker of Biofuelwatch

Group, We should stop worrying about what other people think.

Go out and do it.  Prove biochar works in a way that users will pay for it.  Commercial scale demonstrations.

Rick

On Jul 15, 2021, at 10:14 PM, Ron Larson <rongretlarson@...> wrote:

Claudia and list:

              I agree with most below.   See inserts

On Jul 15, 2021, at 4:30 AM, Cla few udia Kammann <claudia.kammann@...> wrote:

Dear all,

thank you so much, Benoit and Ron, for your enduring this BFW unpleasantness and sharing your thoughts with us.

In the last year it became more and more clear to me that it’s so easy to “be against something” and to try and appear smart by blocking, by saying why something doesn’t work. And endlessly hard to seek solutions and change, to try and fail, to take action. You’re vulnerable when you do, you can be hurt or hit by failure. Good to have a supportive group (like this one) when you do. But falling and getting up is how we learn, how we grow and invent things. It’s the essence of being human.

We’ve had this “blocking solutions” behaviour in Germany by the older Generation for far too long, meanwhile it really endangers my kid’s generations’ future.

We’ve had these “I know better than you and boost my alpha-person ego with it” blockers for far too long, and this is why we are in this global warming mess in the first place.

Often, these were “white old men” guys but here, we seem to have the evidence that this behaviour is definitely not gender-driven:

      [RWL1:  This below is to mostly comment on your noting that that there may be some sort of unusual “gender-driven" aspect to biochar opposition.  This webinar would (unfortunately) suggest so.

              1.  First some history.

              a.  Dr. Smoker is a relatively late addition to BFW - in biochar terms.  BFW was founded by an equally anti-biomass (but unmentioned) Brit;  Almuth Ernsting).  As an example, Rachel erred in saying BFW became aware of biochar in 2009.  I remember hearing Ms Ernsting's opposition prior to the 2008 IBI meeting in Newcastle UK.  Then being surprised she was not in attendance -  as i thought she would be there with more biochar background.  Newcastle and London are not that far apart.

              b.   I was in a CBD meeting later in London with Almuth, and a very supportive German woman, where they again were strongly anti-biochar - and fairly successful. So i have viewed BFW as a small, wrong but effective female-dominated small "environmental”  NGO.  This week's audience [78 sounds OK - not 10) seemed about 95% female.  From the evidence this week one could easily conclude that biochar opposition is female dominated

              2.  So, its great that you (a very effective female IBI board member) have joined this BFW vs. biochar discussion.

              Fortunately, biochar is well represented gender wise - on both the USBI board (5 females out of 11) and IBI boards (Kathleen Draper being on both and the IBI chair).  This being another pretty good proof that there is not much biochar gender divide on biochar at this upper level.   Anyone listening to this week’s talk would have gained the opposite opinion.

              I checked Google on biochar technical publications.  Conservatively you are ahead by a ratio of about 100 to 1.  Dr.  Smolker has done some good scientific work - just. not on biochar.

              3.   I consider pretty good proof also of no gender divide in the first US state legislation on biochar (https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sjr17-002) passed with a 98-0 vote. But more importantly, most of the unanimous vote credit should go to a then senior Colorado state senator - Ellen Roberts.(R).  The state of Washington has also recently unanimously.passed similar biochar legislation.  Both bills predominantly based on forestry - not agriculture, energy, water, waste, or climate. By no means is BFW a leading voice on the harm biochar can do to forests (forestry harm and preservation being the almost sole webinar topic.)

She seems to be such a “white old male” type of person in my eyes, drawing ego from blocking, not from developing, inventing, helping. Just my 2 cents.

              [RWL2:  I have been told (accurately) that I qualify aa  a “white old male” - and I confess to taking some pleasure in blocking BFW.  It’s possibly or even probably true as "drawing ego from blocking”.  But hopefully also at least partially balanced by my "developing, inventing, helping” biochar (I have helped with this list since before biochar got its present name in 2007).

Sorry for my sentimental thoughts, maybe I’m too sleep-deprived ;)

              [RWL4:  I’m not sorry.  Thanks.  And for doing such leading and exciting biochar research.

                I hope someone has a way to get your and these thoughts back to the webinar sponsors and audience.   Won’t be me.

              Most in that audience are in danger of considerable future embarrassment for not understanding biochar’s huge potential role in the webinar’s subject matter - improving, not destroying, today’s often unhealthy forests.

              I see little chance of changing the Smolker stance.

              And I’m sure we agree gender is a non-issue as it relates to either biochar or forestry.

Ron

Claudia