Re: [EXTERN] [Biochar] Seminar by Rachael Smolker of Biofuelwatch

Hugh McLaughlin

I actually debated Rachael at a NOFA event the summer of 2011 - pro and cons of biochar. I do not believe she can be convinced because she is not basing her position on facts and reasoning, but rather fear-mongering and hanging untenable requirements on the opposition as appropriate obligations. She and BFW have well-rehearsed party lines that attract funding from dark money and seem to get them traction with some audiences.

I remember the debate as a verbal version of "Whack a mole". She would make some outrageous claim, I would refute it by putting it in perspective, she would say "That's fine for you to claim, but what about the Spanish giving the New World peoples smallpox - when are you going to correct that."

Put your energy into something or someone that might respond to facts and reasoning. I recommend ignoring Rachael and her lot - they just want to muddy the water and waste your time.

- Hugh McLaughlin

There is a old piece of advice that applies here: Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

On Sunday, July 18, 2021, 12:41:48 PM EDT, Deborah Cook <debbiecook281@...> wrote:

Nando,
I agree it is tilting at windmills to engage with Rachel’s entrenched position.  However, since it seems she has laid out all or most of her objections, I think it would behoove iBI or someone to take each objection and refute with one or several valid studies so we are prepared with talking points and references when we encounter People who are unsure about biochar.  We would be prepared to answer the objections more for the undecided than the firmly entrenched..

Case in point, I had a discussion with someone on the call who was on the fence. He could be convinced to support biochar if we had a clear, intelligent and rational response. Meanwhile he was leaning toward her position.
Debbie

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 7:55 AM Nando Breiter <nando@...> wrote:
Deborah,

It is hard to counter disinformation. Defensiveness seems to be a natural reaction, but I don't think it is worth engaging with Rachel.

Back in 2011 or so, I spent a lot of time refuting Rachel's arguments, corresponding with her directly. One of the core objections she raised was that biochar was going to drive deforestation. George Moinbot picked this up from BFW and repeated it in a Guardian article, saying it was an absolutely daft idea to cut all the trees down and convert them to biochar.

Rachel lives in Vermont in a rural area adjacent to a number of farms. I corresponded with her directly, providing very compelling data that it was financially completely out of the question for farmers, or companies supplying them with soil amendments, to go to the expense of cutting down trees to convert them to biochar. I told her to go ask her neighbors if they thought it would be financially worthwhile to hire loggers to clear cut the forests in her region, build a large scale pyrolysis plant, make biochar, and spread it across their land. I gave her realistic numbers to demonstrate that this feedstock scenario is the most expensive in an industry where it is already very difficult to identify financially viable ways forward. On top of that, farming is a risky, competitive business.

I also wrote George Moinbot with the same information. While he didn't retract the article, he seemed to moderate his position on biochar after he got a lot of pushback from the biochar community.

The real story seems to be more complex. Deforestation to make char as a cooking fuel is prevalent in developing countries. This is real, rather than an imagined issue. And in this case pyrolysis technology can help immensely, which is completely contrary to Rachel's position. I'm aware of a project in Malawi where kontiki kilns are used to make cooking char from a species of rapidly growing, large bamboo, and we're looking to see if we can improve the financials in this scenario to help it expand. This can prevent the harvesting of virgin forest to make charcoal with inefficient primitive earthen kilns.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 4:24 PM Deborah Cook <debbiecook281@...> wrote:
Hi,

I feel a very defensive strain running through this group. We have an incredible body of scientific corroboration on the benefits of biochar, with more coming every day to defend our position.

As I remember Rachel spoke only in generalities and did not cite any specific studies. Well that's easy enough to do. She only used the word reference in parentheses when she mentioned a study. I didn't hear a fact either.

My take is that Biofuelwatch started as being against burning biomass for fuel, and couldn't change the paradigm to accept biochar, fearing a slippery slope.

Maybe someone should get her presentation and refute every point with an actual referenced study or two or three, so we are prepared with talking points and not let her get the upper hand.

Debbie

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 9:27 AM Benoit Lambert <biocharben@...> wrote:
Ron and list,

Some people, sometimes, a bit oddly well trained, made a speciality of being ‘naysayer' as they call them in Switzerland--referring to people that always answer no to 'votations' no matter the question. Journalist of the Guardian George Monbiot is one of them. He believes strongly everyone should become vegetarian to solve the climate crisis. While the argument makes sense when referring to industrial CAFO, it is false for regenerative ranching that jump starts trophic chains—animals eat grass avoiding their oxydation and desertification, theirs dropping feeds grasses that eventually increases organic matter in soils, humus gets thicker and carbon get stored, a circular economy gets in place. Paleo botanist tell us that is how soils organic matter was created over 65 million years and ppm went from 560 to 270.

Here is an answer to Monbiot by L Hunter Lovins:

George Monbiot also went against biochar in 2008 just after the Newcastle. Just like Ms Smolker, he did not attend the IBI meeting, and, obviously knew very little about biochar. I was in Newcastle, and, we already knew quite a bit about biochar at the time.

Dr. Benoit Lambert
Founder and President / Fondateur et président
Cbiochar Inc., https://cbiochar.com
555 Ch. Réal, n° 105,
Sutton, QC, Canada, J0E 2K0
BioGéoThérapiste, auteur/blog https://cologie.wordpress.com
Membre: Fondation Stratégie énergétique, biosphère et société, Genève
Reviewer/réviseur IPCC/GIEC, Working Group I (WGI), Sixth Assessment Report (AR6), in particular Chap. 5 Carbon dioxide removal methods/biochar.
Tel: 450 775 7444

Le 16 juill. 2021 à 08:31, Frank Strie via groups.io <frank.strie@...> a écrit :

Who is?  https://www.biofuelwatch.org.uk/2021/ect-press-release
Yes, there is a Tasmanian connection … sad to say actually.

About
Through my work with Biofuelwatch, I have researched and published about most aspects of bioenergy, including biofuels for road transport and aviation, biochar, Bioenergy with Carbon Capture and Storage, and wood-based bioenergy.

I have written about wider environmental justice concerns, including the interconnections between climate, biodiversity and social justice, about geoengineering proposals, renewable energy in general, and about the dangers of techno-optimism. I have had articles published by magazines and weblogs including
Truth Out, The Ecologist, Common Dreams, New Internationalist, Red Pepper, Corporate Watch.

I have acquired a high level of experience in relation to UK planning policies regarding energy proposals, and in relation to UK and EU air quality legislation.

In my spare time, I volunteer as an ESOL tutor.

Almuth Ernsting
Almuth Ernsting helped to found Biofuelwatch in 2006. She has researched and published about a wide range of issues related to bioenergy, including the climate, social and biodiversity impacts of biofuels and wood-based biomass; public health impacts of biomass and biofuel power stations; and the science and policy debate related to proposed use of biomass for geoengineering, especially biochar and Bioenergy with Carbon Capture and Storage.