PyCCS-4U no time to waste!

Frank Strie

Dear Claudia and all,
The seriousness and the scale of destructive forces by erratic weather behaviour over the last week in Europe’s summer is beyond previous worst case scenarios.
As I was born in Essen and lived with my family for my first 10 years in the Ruhr Valley Region, visited the Rhein region over weekend excursions.
In 1970 we moved to the SW Germany near Stuttgart and the alpine regions Bavaria and Austria were our destinations during Summer and Winter holidays. The shocking video recordings captured by private individuals with their phone cameras and from drones have reached me and my family on the otherwise remote island Tasmania. Listening to the interviews of “people in the know” expressing the confirmed predictions from at least 2 decades or more urges me/ us to think how we can speed up the information flow.
What will it take?

Over and over again I think of the whole community approach in Kaindorf Austria,  linking the circular economy, education and training of all.
Physical distance is no barrier anymore, but attitude can be.

Thanks to all involved, this short video from the IBI tour  is part of a positive information approach:  
https://www.terrapretadevelopments.com.au/?s=o+Toole+

The humus project of Ecoregion Kaindorf - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com › watch

Presented by Gerald Dunst on Tuesday, June 19th, 2018.

7 Aug 2018 · Uploaded by Brian Schorr

and

https://phosphorusplatform.eu/images/download/Meeting-organic/10-D%C3%BCnst-ESPP-IFOAM-12_12_17.pdf

Yesterday, Sunday I was discussing with two of my neighbours the need of a different approach to tackle the pressing issues.

Over the last few days here in Australia there were further discussions (see below) and on line presentations but to Pyrogenic Carbon as outlined and shared between us and linking  Regenerative Agriculture with Restorative Forestry  and Renovative Water Catchment management practices with Pyrogenic Carbon Capture & Sequestration PyCCS is missing.
Biofuel is a no-no topic by our urban dominated society. Big Business will not touch wood energy (thermal or power) with a bargepole.
The info below is the latest what I can find on renewable:

Decarbonising Energy: At the Tipping Point

Australia installed more renewable generation in the last three years than in the thirty years prior. It seems that every week a new renewable energy record is smashed. Yet despite this, Australia has the highest per-capita greenhouse emissions of any advanced economy, we’re on track to miss our Paris Agreement commitments and we’re nowhere near achieving net zero.

How did we get here, and how can we turn it around?

Simon Holmes à Court is one of Australia’s leading energy commentators and analysts. Based at The University of Melbourne, he is a senior adviser to the Climate and Energy College, working with the German-Australian Energy Transition Hub. Simon developed the openNEM, an Open Platform for National Electricity Market Data.

He has been a pioneering force in the Australian community power movement, both as the founding chair of Hepburn Wind, the country’s first community-owned wind farm, and founder of Embark Australia, a non-profit coalition helping communities share in the benefits of local renewable energy.

Presented in partnership with the Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering, with the support of the Inspiring Victoria program.
Simon's full presentation is available at
 https://youtu.be/qtpHVBgozA8.

https://www.facebook.com/royalsocietyvictoria/videos/271784721382548

================================================================================================

I have now looked for Simon Holmes à Court + Biochar
https://twitter.com/simonahac/status/1254288357628080129

Locking in Plantations: (not forests)  because they (most Aussies)  do not know how forests can be managed for all values and that /how forests and landscape need to be an could be restored with holistic management principles: 
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/b1a36ed536491e02074c2926d39b8788dafdfcbc6eca6adb14fe09060c42372f.png
The KISS principle enabled to create this situation.

The alternative I have proposed for over 3 decades in AUS:
ProSilva
is proof in point for decades, I am a member for 31 years:

Pro Silva - Integrated forest management

https://www.prosilva.org

Pro Silva promotes forest management strategies which optimise the maintenance, conservation and utilisation of forest ecosystems in such a way that the ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas_emissions_by_Australia

Bioenergy[edit]

Main article: Biofuel in Australia

Bioenergy is energy produced from biomass. Biomass is material produced by photosynthesis, or is an organic by-product from a waste stream. Thus it can be seen as stored solar energy.[20] In terms of reducing greenhouse gas emissions, biomass offers four different types of contribution:

·       solid, liquid and gaseous biofuels can substitute for fossil fuels in the generation of electricity and useful heat;[citation needed]

·       liquid and gaseous biofuels can substitute for oil in transportation;

·       biomass can be used in place of many greenhouse intensive materials;

·       biomass can be converted to biochar, an organic char coal that greatly enhances the ability of soil to sequester carbon.[20]

Sustainable energy expert Mark Diesendorf suggests that bioenergy could produce 39% of Australia's electricity generation.[20][needs update]

====================================================================================

So, if you have a suggestion how we can get the Royal Society Victoria aware of our global information exchange, then go for it!!! https://www.facebook.com/royalsocietyvictoria/videos/271784721382548

No time to waste, we get to ever faster action!!
 Thank you all
Frank again

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claudia Kammann
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 5:59 AM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [EXTERN] Re: [EXTERN] [Biochar] Seminar by Rachael Smolker of Biofuelwatch

I completely agree with Deborah!

In climate change research it’s called “immunisation against bullshit with facts” – and you can only vaccinate those who are at least open to listen to facts. Frantic anti-vaxxers, we will never reach them – Corona has taught us as much, right? ;)

And re the current situation in Germany, the devastating floods and the many, likely thousands of lives that were lost, so much infrastructure destroyed: It’s all the more incentive for me to get things going on negative emissions using pyrolysis for carbon capture and storage, or better, for carbon use (PyCCS-4U). There’s no time to lose.

I know many of the devastated regions, I even grew up having ~25 times holidays in one of them (Berchtesgardener Land in the alps, south east of Germany), but I’m personally safe. But seeing the destruction is heart-breaking. The only good thing is that the wish of unaffected people to help those who suffer is overwhelming. But you guys in the US will know that mechanism very well I guess.

Claudia

Von: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> Im Auftrag von Deborah Cook
Gesendet: Sonntag, 18. Juli 2021 18:42
An: main@biochar.groups.io
Betreff: [EXTERN] Re: [EXTERN] [Biochar] Seminar by Rachael Smolker of Biofuelwatch

Nando,

I agree it is tilting at windmills to engage with Rachel’s entrenched position.  However, since it seems she has laid out all or most of her objections, I think it would behoove iBI or someone to take each objection and refute with one or several valid studies so we are prepared with talking points and references when we encounter People who are unsure about biochar.  We would be prepared to answer the objections more for the undecided than the firmly entrenched..

Case in point, I had a discussion with someone on the call who was on the fence. He could be convinced to support biochar if we had a clear, intelligent and rational response. Meanwhile he was leaning toward her position.

Debbie

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 7:55 AM Nando Breiter <nando@...> wrote:

Deborah,

It is hard to counter disinformation. Defensiveness seems to be a natural reaction, but I don't think it is worth engaging with Rachel. 

Back in 2011 or so, I spent a lot of time refuting Rachel's arguments, corresponding with her directly. One of the core objections she raised was that biochar was going to drive deforestation. George Moinbot picked this up from BFW and repeated it in a Guardian article, saying it was an absolutely daft idea to cut all the trees down and convert them to biochar. 

Rachel lives in Vermont in a rural area adjacent to a number of farms. I corresponded with her directly, providing very compelling data that it was financially completely out of the question for farmers, or companies supplying them with soil amendments, to go to the expense of cutting down trees to convert them to biochar. I told her to go ask her neighbors if they thought it would be financially worthwhile to hire loggers to clear cut the forests in her region, build a large scale pyrolysis plant, make biochar, and spread it across their land. I gave her realistic numbers to demonstrate that this feedstock scenario is the most expensive in an industry where it is already very difficult to identify financially viable ways forward. On top of that, farming is a risky, competitive business. 

I also wrote George Moinbot with the same information. While he didn't retract the article, he seemed to moderate his position on biochar after he got a lot of pushback from the biochar community.

The real story seems to be more complex. Deforestation to make char as a cooking fuel is prevalent in developing countries. This is real, rather than an imagined issue. And in this case pyrolysis technology can help immensely, which is completely contrary to Rachel's position. I'm aware of a project in Malawi where kontiki kilns are used to make cooking char from a species of rapidly growing, large bamboo, and we're looking to see if we can improve the financials in this scenario to help it expand. This can prevent the harvesting of virgin forest to make charcoal with inefficient primitive earthen kilns. 

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 4:24 PM Deborah Cook <debbiecook281@...> wrote:

Hi,

I feel a very defensive strain running through this group. We have an incredible body of scientific corroboration on the benefits of biochar, with more coming every day to defend our position. 

As I remember Rachel spoke only in generalities and did not cite any specific studies. Well that's easy enough to do. She only used the word reference in parentheses when she mentioned a study. I didn't hear a fact either.

My take is that Biofuelwatch started as being against burning biomass for fuel, and couldn't change the paradigm to accept biochar, fearing a slippery slope.

Maybe someone should get her presentation and refute every point with an actual referenced study or two or three, so we are prepared with talking points and not let her get the upper hand.

Debbie

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 9:27 AM Benoit Lambert <biocharben@...> wrote:

Ron and list,

Some people, sometimes, a bit oddly well trained, made a speciality of being ‘naysayer' as they call them in Switzerland--referring to people that always answer no to 'votations' no matter the question. Journalist of the Guardian George Monbiot is one of them. He believes strongly everyone should become vegetarian to solve the climate crisis. While the argument makes sense when referring to industrial CAFO, it is false for regenerative ranching that jump starts trophic chains—animals eat grass avoiding their oxydation and desertification, theirs dropping feeds grasses that eventually increases organic matter in soils, humus gets thicker and carbon get stored, a circular economy gets in place. Paleo botanist tell us that is how soils organic matter was created over 65 million years and ppm went from 560 to 270. 

Here is an answer to Monbiot by L Hunter Lovins:

George Monbiot also went against biochar in 2008 just after the Newcastle. Just like Ms Smolker, he did not attend the IBI meeting, and, obviously knew very little about biochar. I was in Newcastle, and, we already knew quite a bit about biochar at the time.

Dr. Benoit Lambert

Founder and President / Fondateur et président
Cbiochar Inc., https://cbiochar.com

555 Ch. Réal, n° 105, 

Sutton, QC, Canada, J0E 2K0
BioGéoThérapiste, auteur/blog https://cologie.wordpress.com 

Membre: Fondation Stratégie énergétique, biosphère et société, Genève
Reviewer/réviseur IPCC/GIEC, Working Group I (WGI), Sixth Assessment Report (AR6), in particular Chap. 5 Carbon dioxide removal methods/biochar.
Tel: 450 775 7444

Le 16 juill. 2021 à 08:31, Frank Strie via groups.io <frank.strie@...> a écrit :

Who is?  https://www.biofuelwatch.org.uk/2021/ect-press-release  
Yes, there is a Tasmanian connection … sad to say actually. 

About

Through my work with Biofuelwatch, I have researched and published about most aspects of bioenergy, including biofuels for road transport and aviation, biochar, Bioenergy with Carbon Capture and Storage, and wood-based bioenergy.

I have written about wider environmental justice concerns, including the interconnections between climate, biodiversity and social justice, about geoengineering proposals, renewable energy in general, and about the dangers of techno-optimism. I have had articles published by magazines and weblogs including 
Truth Out, The Ecologist, Common Dreams, New Internationalist, Red Pepper, Corporate Watch.

I have acquired a high level of experience in relation to UK planning policies regarding energy proposals, and in relation to UK and EU air quality legislation.

In my spare time, I volunteer as an ESOL tutor.

Almuth Ernsting

Almuth Ernsting helped to found Biofuelwatch in 2006. She has researched and published about a wide range of issues related to bioenergy, including the climate, social and biodiversity impacts of biofuels and wood-based biomass; public health impacts of biomass and biofuel power stations; and the science and policy debate related to proposed use of biomass for geoengineering, especially biochar and Bioenergy with Carbon Capture and Storage.
Source: https://truthout.org/authors/almuth-ernsting

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.ioOn Behalf Of Ron Larson
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 3:14 PM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io; Claudia Kammann <claudia.kammann@...>
Subject: Re: [EXTERN] [Biochar] Seminar by Rachael Smolker of Biofuelwatch

Claudia and list:

I agree with most below.   See inserts

On Jul 15, 2021, at 4:30 AM, Cla few udia Kammann <claudia.kammann@...> wrote:

Dear all,

thank you so much, Benoit and Ron, for your enduring this BFW unpleasantness and sharing your thoughts with us.

In the last year it became more and more clear to me that it’s so easy to “be against something” and to try and appear smart by blocking, by saying why something doesn’t work. And endlessly hard to seek solutions and change, to try and fail, to take action. You’re vulnerable when you do, you can be hurt or hit by failure. Good to have a supportive group (like this one) when you do. But falling and getting up is how we learn, how we grow and invent things. It’s the essence of being human. 

We’ve had this “blocking solutions” behaviour in Germany by the older Generation for far too long, meanwhile it really endangers my kid’s generations’ future.

We’ve had these “I know better than you and boost my alpha-person ego with it” blockers for far too long, and this is why we are in this global warming mess in the first place.

Often, these were “white old men” guys but here, we seem to have the evidence that this behaviour is definitely not gender-driven: 

[RWL1:  This below is to mostly comment on your noting that that there may be some sort of unusual “gender-driven" aspect to biochar opposition.  This webinar would (unfortunately) suggest so.

1.  First some history.  

a.  Dr. Smoker is a relatively late addition to BFW - in biochar terms.  BFW was founded by an equally anti-biomass (but unmentioned) Brit;  Almuth Ernsting).  As an example, Rachel erred in saying BFW became aware of biochar in 2009.  I remember hearing Ms Ernsting's opposition prior to the 2008 IBI meeting in Newcastle UK.  Then being surprised she was not in attendance -  as i thought she would be there with more biochar background.  Newcastle and London are not that far apart.  

b.   I was in a CBD meeting later in London with Almuth, and a very supportive German woman, where they again were strongly anti-biochar - and fairly successful. So i have viewed BFW as a small, wrong but effective female-dominated small "environmental”  NGO.  This week's audience [78 sounds OK - not 10) seemed about 95% female.  From the evidence this week one could easily conclude that biochar opposition is female dominated

2.  So, its great that you (a very effective female IBI board member) have joined this BFW vs. biochar discussion.  

Fortunately, biochar is well represented gender wise - on both the USBI board (5 females out of 11) and IBI boards (Kathleen Draper being on both and the IBI chair).  This being another pretty good proof that there is not much biochar gender divide on biochar at this upper level.   Anyone listening to this week’s talk would have gained the opposite opinion.    

I checked Google on biochar technical publications.  Conservatively you are ahead by a ratio of about 100 to 1.  Dr.  Smolker has done some good scientific work - just. not on biochar.

3.   I consider pretty good proof also of no gender divide in the first US state legislation on biochar (https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sjr17-002) passed with a 98-0 vote. But more importantly, most of the unanimous vote credit should go to a then senior Colorado state senator - Ellen Roberts.(R).  The state of Washington has also recently unanimously.passed similar biochar legislation.  Both bills predominantly based on forestry - not agriculture, energy, water, waste, or climate. By no means is BFW a leading voice on the harm biochar can do to forests (forestry harm and preservation being the almost sole webinar topic.) 

She seems to be such a “white old male” type of person in my eyes, drawing ego from blocking, not from developing, inventing, helping. Just my 2 cents.

[RWL2:  I have been told (accurately) that I qualify aa  a “white old male” - and I confess to taking some pleasure in blocking BFW.  It’s possibly or even probably true as "drawing ego from blocking”.  But hopefully also at least partially balanced by my "developing, inventing, helping” biochar (I have helped with this list since before biochar got its present name in 2007). 

Sorry for my sentimental thoughts, maybe I’m too sleep-deprived ;)

[RWL4:  I’m not sorry.  Thanks.  And for doing such leading and exciting biochar research.

I hope someone has a way to get your and these thoughts back to the webinar sponsors and audience.   Won’t be me.  

Most in that audience are in danger of considerable future embarrassment for not understanding biochar’s huge potential role in the webinar’s subject matter - improving, not destroying, today’s often unhealthy forests.  

I see little chance of changing the Smolker stance. 

And I’m sure we agree gender is a non-issue as it relates to either biochar or forestry. 

Ron

Claudia

--

Deborah Cook

debbiecook281@...

-------------------

.      Check out my new book Parted Waters  

--
Nando Breiter
http://biochar.info
CarbonZero Sagl
Astano, Switzerland

--

Deborah Cook

debbiecook281@...

-------------------

.      Check out my new book Parted Waters  

Join main@Biochar.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.