Re: Some interesting Carbon Sequestration Chemistry

Paul S Anderson

Laurent and Rick (and all),

I thank Laurent for the explanations of those terms one message previously.   He sent me (again) to check the  literature, but I am fully involved in issues of biochar production, not usage.  

So I must thank Rick for his comments in response, and that then Laurent provided the link to an EXCELLENT  article that he found to be “a recent review in open access: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/sum.12731 “   I have read the Abstract, skimmed the contents that has worthwhile graphics, and read carefully the conclusion, which all who work with biochar development should read, so I am copying here the final paragraph of the conclusion:

Undoubtedly, enhancing biochars with various doping

agents is a frontier of biochar research. The development of

more fabrication and enhancement methods, novel applica-

tions, and ongoing results from the field application of these

emerging materials promise to provide a roadmap towards a

sustainable future.

This is endorsing further work on “doping agents” (including mixing rock dust).   And most relevant to me is the needed … “development of more fabrication and enhancement methods,…”   which is something that I can work on.   I will go back into the full article specifically about those methods, especially to accomplish the tasks with ease and low costs by using the RoCC kiln technology (If you do not yet know the RoCC technology for biochar production, please see   www.woodgas.energy/resources    and contact me if I can be of assistance to you). 

For those of you working on applications of biochar and / or field (and soil and plant) issues, I refer you  to the appropriate sections of the article.   If you think it is good stuff, please say so.   If it is not good stuff, please also say so because I (we) need your inputs.

End note:  we got onto this topic because of Stephan Joseph’s comment and article.   But in the hundreds of References cited in this article, not one was by him (as lead author, but maybe as a co-author, which I did not check.).   Did we come to this article via some “back door” of luck?  Is earlier work being overlooked?  What does Stephan say about this article, please?

Paul

Doc / Dr TLUD / Paul S. Anderson, PhD --- Website:   www.drtlud.com

Email:  psanders@...       Skype:   paultlud

Phone:  Office: 309-452-7072    Mobile & WhatsApp: 309-531-4434

Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP    Go to: www.JuntosNFP.org 

Inventor of RoCC kilns and author of Biochar white paper :  See  www.woodgas.energy/resources  

Author of “A Capitalist Carol” (free digital copies at www.capitalism21.org)

with pages 88 – 94 about solving the world crisis for clean cookstoves.

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Laurent Chabanne via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2021 3:53 PM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] Some interesting Carbon Sequestration Chemistry

[This message came from an external source. If suspicious, report to abuse@...]

It's a very complex system, hence: no simple answer.

As explained in the 2013 paper cited by Valentine earlier, forming organo-mineral-biochar complexes has a range of effects: from the content of labile organic matter, from the redox properties ("behaving as microgalvanic cells where organic and inorganic compounds are oxidized and reduced"), colonization by vrious species depending on the mineral/organic/biochar phase, etc.

This influences the type and relative content of microorganisms in the soil (soil biodiversity if you want), and their interactions with plants, but also on nutrient cycles and transport, etc.

It's very complex, that's why field experiments are necessary, but they take time and are expensive.

I found a recent review in open access: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/sum.12731

L

Join main@Biochar.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.