Re: Some interesting Carbon Sequestration Chemistry

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Thanks, Stephen,

For those of you without access to volcanic or any other kind of useful rock dust, you might try the following that has worked well for us at Warm Heart. We work largely with dried corn cobs. Before putting them in the TLUD, we sprinkle them with water in which we have rusted chunks of old iron. We then dust the damp cobs with bright orange clay powder and roll them until they look like corn dogs (for the Aermicans among you). The damp and dirty cobs are then left to dry in the sun for a day and pyrolysed. The resulting char gives every indication of working great, although we have no way of proving that it outperforms.

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 5:53 PM Stephen Joseph <joey.stephen@...> wrote:
Hi Kelpie

Try adding rock dust to your biomass and then pyrolysing.  Works  better than either by themselves because you have added a small layer of carbon molecules to the rock dust particles and these are great food for the microbes as well as acting as signalling molecules and changes in soil Eh.

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 2:20 AM Kelpie Wilson <kelpiew@...> wrote:
Thank you for this Laurent.
Anecdotally, since I bought a literal ton of volcanic rock dust last year and started using it in my garden and compost, I have seen a huge improvement in my soil and the best plant growth ever. Things are greener, bigger, and I have less foliar fungal disease.
My garden is 40 raised beds worked by two families. We grow most of our own vegetables including potatoes, onions, carrots, parsnips, garlic, leeks, shallots, tomatoes, peppers, raspberries, grapes, figs, all kinds of salad greens, brassicas, peas, beans, herbs and tons and tons of flowers.
I have been using biochar all along, of course, and it has greatly improved my soil, but when I tested it and found it was 30% carbon, I realized that I needed more minerals.
Rock dust is really working for me.

--
Email: kelpiew@...
Mobile: 541-218-9890