Re: Pit under stack of crop waste - Biochar from maize stalks

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Wayne,

Don't know about you, but finding a windless day where we are is pretty hard, which has discouraging consequences for efficiency!

Regards "quenching," Kelpie suggests pouring out the char on the ground in a thin layer and letting it put itself out. I have not tried this and have no idea how much you might lose to the air.

One thought is to use a moisture meter to calculate the water content of your char. We found a good one on Alibaba for very little. We use it for pricing purposes, but you could use it to back calculate to dry weight.

General question: what are you charging your char with and how good is your soil? In my experience, the better the soil, the more char you need to accomplish anything, no matter how you charge. In the developing world, most of the soil is so bad that 250 grams plus manure, pee and either EM or a handful of forest dirt/litter will come close to doubling the yields of almost anything. (Response varies a lot among species.) Water retention and surface porosity are huge here, too, given clay soils that bake brick hard in the sun and then hold little water when it does penetrate. With climbing temps and more irregular rainfall, biochar is proving to be the poor person's only effective means of mitigating these two big consequences of climate change.

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 7:20 AM Teel, Wayne <teelws@...> wrote:

Michael,

You are correct on that.  Even in my batch retort I barely get 20% by weight.  I think you can only approach 30% in a continuous feed system where you use the heat from pyrolysis gasses to heat the new material.  I have to light a fire underneath the pyrolysis chamber and count the fuel used for that against my total yield.  On a low wind day, with very dry wood, I likely get above 15% in the Kontiki, but it is hard to measure since I use water to quench, and getting the biochar dry takes an oven since it holds water so well.  I am noticing the effect in my garden this year.  We are very dry this summer, but the biochar beds have a lot less wilt and I don’t have to water as often.

Wayne