Re: Pit under stack of crop waste - Biochar from maize stalks

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Wayne,

Congratulations on the chicken bedding and feed. What a great use for all that manure. Our tests in Africa and Thailand show really promising results with chickens, cows and goats - better health, greater weight gain, more eggs and milk. Your testers will not take our word for it and we would love to get your results, but power to you if you can convince a few big users to try your stuff. With the rising demand for organic, you may have more than a niche. You say that someone else is working on larger-scale char. What can you find out about them and what about scaling up yourself (or bringing in a partner)?

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 8:30 AM Teel, Wayne <teelws@...> wrote:

Stephen and Michael,

Thanks for the information and the long overview article on biochar.  I finds Stephen’s research on practical “chemical” management of biochar very helpful, and Michael’s field work highly valued.  Paul, I think what Stephen means is that the still hot biochar, when quenching with compost, torrifies the organic material in the compost and produces the wood vinegar compounds.  In the process this produces an increase in functional groups on the biochar surface making it more chemically dynamic in soils.  Increased functional groups (carboxyl and hydroxyl) help nutrients stick to the biochar and fungal and plant interactions take advantage of that availability.

Right now the Shenandoah Valley is in a drought situation, not as bad as the western US, but spreading out biochar to cool would be a disaster.  I like my oak and hickory trees.  Context is everything with biochar, so there is no one way to do things, but quenching with clay and compost seems an excellent thing to try.  I will try Stephen’s method with my next batch.  I usually do the kiln burns early in the morning here, which is when the wind is least likely to blow.

We have a fertile silt loam soil (60% silt) that dominates the valley agriculture, so in many places clay is hard to find, especially the shrink-swell clays with a high CEC that would likely be best in quenching.  Our context is not one with straw or ag waste as a major problem.  People don’t burn here, they mostly feed silage to cows for dairy and the corn grain and soybeans produced is transformed into feed for poultry, of which we have more than the land can handle.  We import over a million tons of grain a year and are a hot spot for nutrient leakage into the Chesapeake Bay.  Phosphorus even shows up in ground water because soils are often saturated.  Poultry litter and dairy manure are our best options for nutrient loading in biochar.  Right now most of my production is ground to a 2mm average diameter and used in the bedding in poultry houses for organic chicken production.  A set of side by side comparisons of impact on nitrogen emissions and bird health is planned for this fall.  The resultant litter enriched with biochar is approved for use on organic farms, so that is our market.  We just have to get the local testing done to encourage the poultry farmers to expand its use.  There are people in the region working on larger scale production of biochar as well.

Wayne