From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nando Breiter
Sent: Sunday, August 8, 2021 6:21 AM
To: main@biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] Can biochar be stored outside, uncovered in huge piles?

Kevin,

Generally speaking, I believe there is a fire risk for freshly made char if it is in too large a pile, but I'm no expert. There are accounts of freshly made char being loaded into the back of a dump truck catching on fire en route, and fire eventually consuming the truck. Shipping specifications for char indicate that the maximum package should be about a cubic meter sac, and these sacks should be packed in a container so there is space between them so that heat doesn't build up to excessive levels.

So this leads me to suggest that freshly made char should not be piled more than say a meter high, and the piles should be monitored to see how hot they may get to gain experience. As the hours and days pass, the rate of surface oxidation will decrease to the point where it  may be safe to pile the char meters high. Others with more experience in large scale storage of char may have better advice.

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 9:29 PM K McLean <kmclean56@...> wrote:

We are about to start a project in Uganda to have commercial farmers make biochar from maize stalks.  It is looking likely that we will be able to collect many, many thousands of tonnes of biochar.  The cost of the biochar is minimal.  The cost of transportation and storage is a problem, a good problem to have.

We will work out the transportation problem.  But the cost of bags to store the biochar is prohibitive.

We would like to store the biochar in large piles outside, uncovered.  Is there a fire risk?  Would rain somehow damage the biochar?  Is there something else we should consider?

Kevin

--
Nando Breiter
http://biochar.info