Biochar and rumen methane #cattle #methane


Trevor Richards
 

NZ Farmers Weekly: "Gas culprits identified in rumen"


It seems hydrogen is being targeted in this research.

We are all aware that biochar feed supplements are also linked to methane reductions and are being studied (in Canada?).

Is it possible that biochar and hydrogen interaction plays a part?


Ron Larson
 

Trevor and list

The article itself is open source at https://www.nature.com/articles/s41396-019-0464-2

Your question on biochar being related is not part of this article (no mention of biochar;  I’ve only skimmed the article).  But the last page talks about electron transfer - which could be assisted by biochar.

Good catch.  Might help sell more char.

Ron


On Aug 17, 2019, at 9:53 AM, trevor@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:

NZ Farmers Weekly: "Gas culprits identified in rumen"


It seems hydrogen is being targeted in this research.

We are all aware that biochar feed supplements are also linked to methane reductions and are being studied (in Canada?).

Is it possible that biochar and hydrogen interaction plays a part?




Kim Chaffee
 

Interesting article.  Thanks.  It might be useful to investigate how biochar actually reduces methane production in ruminants.  Does it change the number or activity of the methanogenic bacteria?  Or promote other bacteria that reduce methane production?  Or does it simply absorb the methane?  

Also it could be useful to compare biochar with DSM’s 3-COP animal feed supplement that is supposed to reduce methane production in ruminants.  It is supposed to go commercial later this year.

Kim


On Aug 17, 2019, at 12:57 PM, Ronal Larson rongretlarson@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:

 

Trevor and list


The article itself is open source at https://www.nature.com/articles/s41396-019-0464-2

Your question on biochar being related is not part of this article (no mention of biochar;  I’ve only skimmed the article).  But the last page talks about electron transfer - which could be assisted by biochar.

Good catch.  Might help sell more char.

Ron


On Aug 17, 2019, at 9:53 AM, trevor@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:

NZ Farmers Weekly: "Gas culprits identified in rumen"


It seems hydrogen is being targeted in this research.

We are all aware that biochar feed supplements are also linked to methane reductions and are being studied (in Canada?).

Is it possible that biochar and hydrogen interaction plays a part?




mikethewormguy
 

Kim,

Seaweed and Garlic both have been shown to reduce methane in cows.  

It would be interesting to create a pre-biotic feed additive containing a blend of biochar, seaweed, and garlic.....

These ingredients could be mixed with a pro-biotic direct fed microbial product to create a synbiotic product........

These are all non-synthetic ingredients which improves the health of the animal and the earth....

my 2 cents,

Mike


Dick Gallien
 

Interesting hot air concerns and money behind it , while the semi's loaded with corn are lined up at Winona, on the Ms. River, finally filling barges with last years crop, which couldn't make it down river, headed to where ever,  before the 9' channel could be dredged open because of increased flooding and erosion and I wondered about methane from unhealthy CAFO cattle vs. grass fed and Gab Brown in Bismark, N.D. pop 75K and their wood waste and how good it is that Kelpie has a chance to demo biochar making with Fed grants removing shelter belts from the 30's dust bowl days, for more acres of corn and beans, while the dead area in the Gulf expands.  Gabe Brown in Bismark, N.D. building healthy soil with no-til and grass fed beef.


Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 7:41 AM mikethewormguy@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:
 

Kim,


Seaweed and Garlic both have been shown to reduce methane in cows.  

It would be interesting to create a pre-biotic feed additive containing a blend of biochar, seaweed, and garlic.....

These ingredients could be mixed with a pro-biotic direct fed microbial product to create a synbiotic product........

These are all non-synthetic ingredients which improves the health of the animal and the earth....

my 2 cents,

Mike


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Rowdy Yeatts
 

There was a study done last year in Nebraska looking at methane and CO2 reduction.  See TAS attachment and biochar headbox work.

There is another much larger project getting ready to start at the University of Nebraska later this year.  See biochar methane barn study attachment.

Both are supplied by High Plains Biochar in Laramie Wyoming.  There was a FDA waiver granted for the project starting this fall so I feel like we are getting closer to seeing wood biochar added to the list of approved supplements on animals used for human consumption.  There are many groups involved with making this happen from the Nebraska Forest Service, Kansas Forest Service, University of Nebraska, USBI, Great Plains Biochar Initiative, High Plains Biochar, etc..

This is one of the studies out of Canada that you were referring to.

Rowdy  


Kelpie Wilson
 

Hi Dick,
The N Dakota FS is working hard to renew the shelterbelts. The old Siberian elms are dying and it is very challenging to regenerate with new saplings. Lots of mortality from harsh conditions and grass encroachment. They hope that biochar can help the young trees survive. But it is early days in this project with lots of work to do. One thing that would really help would be more prescribed burning to control the grass, but folks are pretty scared of the potential for prairie fires getting out of control. The wind never stops on the Great Plains 

-Kelpie

--
Email: kelpiew@...
Oregon home office: 541-592-3083
Mobile: 541-218-9890
Skype: kelpie.wilson


Dick Gallien
 

Thanks for straightening me out Kelpie.  I'm sure prisons are full of those that can rationalize murder, so assumed those shelter belts were just in the way of the land barons huge machinery.  They could easily justify removing them, if they use no-til, especially if they rotate cattle and always keep the ground covered, which too many still don't.  Read that the suicide rate in Wyoming is higher, because of the continuous wind.   Is there an incentive program to encourage the land owners to reestablish their wind breaks or are these on govt land?  You are sort of a stealth, decimator of biochar, the guardians of the mother load, on this side of the Red River, who is determined to protect their ignorance.  With the City Mgr's support, we may be able to establish a beach head here also.  With the DOT 111 rr turtle at 20' and 7/16", only time will tell how much it warps.  Wish you'd check if there is anyone in that area that cuts up rr tank cars for culverts, etc.. If you had 2 turtles made for demos, they should continue spreading the gospel, long after Roland is entombed in biochar, in which condition he could join me in the Meadow here, for no charge, except I prefer compostables be mixed with biochar--together, we'll grow bigger thistles.     I have a 1500 ga. vacuum liquid manure tank, which will fill from a pond in 5 min. and if I still had liquid cow manure, would sure provide an odoriferous inoculation, but prefer slow suffocation, so the pyrolosis can continue. I look forward to playing with those turtles in winter.  
Kevin, I'm sure there's a market here, but that's the last thing I think of.  I just want to see if we can make it and keep up with the volume this town produces. Age isn't a deterrent, when one has machines to do the work. Thanks, Dick        
I 


On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 11:47 AM Kelpie Wilson kelpiew@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:
 

Hi Dick,
The N Dakota FS is working hard to renew the shelterbelts. The old Siberian elms are dying and it is very challenging to regenerate with new saplings. Lots of mortality from harsh conditions and grass encroachment. They hope that biochar can help the young trees survive. But it is early days in this project with lots of work to do. One thing that would really help would be more prescribed burning to control the grass, but folks are pretty scared of the potential for prairie fires getting out of control. The wind never stops on the Great Plains 

-Kelpie

--
Email: kelpiew@...
Oregon home office: 541-592-3083
Mobile: 541-218-9890
Skype: kelpie.wilson