Topics

biochar in soil health report #soilhealth

Kelpie Wilson

Biochar gets one mention in this report:
http://www.croataninstitute.org/images/publications/soil-wealth-2019.pdf

--
Email: kelpiew@...
Oregon home office: 541-592-3083

4RDKBTATWOF4I7VUHH2D2CLOXA@...

A look at Figure 2 tells me that Biochar should be in a class by itself. No argument with other regenerative practices, but Biochar (along with its big sister, Compost) delivers all 12 of the services pointed out in Figure 2.

R. W. Gillett

ALAN PAGE

I live just below (south of VT) and have been in touch with several of the funders of this paper so the following was sent to them today:
-----------------
I'm sure you are busy during the beautiful weather we have been having this summer. Forestry down here has fallen apart due to lack of markets and capable producers even if forest mining is progressing normally. This brings me to a recent publication, Soil Wealth, (attached or available for down load from the Croatan Instiute) that was partially funded by the USDA NRCS and the Lyme Timber Co. among many others.

I know that none of you are directly connected to Lyme Timber, but the NRCS and other public entities have been bombarded with information about the potentials of effectively inoculated charcoal (biochar when used in soil situations) to no avail down here! We have done rigorous tests of these potentials with no public assistance and gotten no where, and now the attached publication that was prepared with assistance from the same groups makes only one small comment about these potentials and leaves out the other connections that should be made with community based pollution reduction before being permanently placed in soils within the region of the origin of the char. There is so much more that should have been said in such a publication that it is beyond ridiculous for that information to have been left out. I hope that each one of you will enjoy the weekend and then read the paper and if you have questions about charcoal let me know so that this kind of information deficit can be avoided in the future.
It is clear to me that the major funding entities are not looking for real systems that can enhance rural stability but are rather working to keep the employees functioning with a regular paycheck to the detriment of everyone else. It is time for this paradigm to change to one that can enable competent individuals and entities to work on cutting edge projects without being stopped by aggressive financing controls which we now think of as normal.
Alan C. Page

Alan C. Page, Ph.D., Research Forester - MA License #184
Green Diamond Systems
125 Blue Meadow Road
Belchertown, MA 01007

Phone: 413-323-4401