Topics

Floating seaweed 'latest' #seaweed #kelp

Geoff Thomas

No dissing of any comments, but I wonder if we haven’t given enough attention to the other alternative voiced earlier in the discussion, -  Biogas.
 It is hard to teach a fish to swim when it is on the land, - in the ocean, everything is there, mineral etc, so to look at the original Gobar Gas systems, - initiated I have been told by one who was there, by the Ghandians, - in Ghujurat, India.
There you had a capped cylinder, in the middle was a wall, attached to the cap, from top to near the bottom, the biodegradable material is fed into the cylinder on one side of the wall, (presumably innoculated appropriately) makes it’s way down through that half of the cylinder, - just to give it time, then, passing under the wall through that gap, up the other side, and then to the outflow.
During that time, Anaerobic digestion is taking place and huge amounts of methane are generated, which bubble up to the top, the which is sealed, so they lift it up slightly so can be drawn off and used as appropriate, - probably eg. cutting up the sargassum, (under the cap, so that that gas is used also,) and then pumping the highly nutritius fluid from the out put side to the nearest farm land or ‘bottling’ plant.
Pressure is generated by the methane  lifting the cylinder up, perhaps a centimetre or two, - just enough to push it into a low pressure pipe, certainly not enough to interfere with the chopping up the sargasso and aeration pods inlet, possibly .5 of a metre below the cap.
Note that the early reaction methane and the flotation methane compound would tend to be on one side of the wall, and the later products on the other side, -that may give possibilities.

The Cylinder, using modern technologies of structure and pressurised support skeleton, and hopefully built from re-cycled ocean plastic waste,  can be huge, maybe forged on site from local plastic waste, possibly cone shaped, details, details, but that cap is important.
So everything is really low pressure, the outflow pipes also, so can be very big, - kept inflated by the low pressure out put waste fans, powered by the methane.
There will be a small element of carbon, Biogas members could suggest how that might manifest, and could it be dried/concentrated, - to Charcoal/biochar/ and in what form, - wet or dry? - or just drift to the ocean floor, - still sequestered, but no idea how long for..

Whatever, basically fire free technology, just the using of the methane, all so low pressure that many shortcuts can be taken, whole structure easily drawn down if Cyclone/Hurricane coming.

Whuddya reckon, gang?

Cheers,
Geoff Thomas,
Malanda FNQ, Australia.

On 29 Aug 2019, at 10:42 am, Jim Bledsoe gamesbledsoe@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:

hi Kevin thanks for the map
When plants die and recompose into other organisms water chemistry is effected.
The general process releases nitrogen and scrubs oxygen.  Massive amounts of any recomposing plant matter can create states we consider extreme.
Therefore getting the stink weed into a biochar retort makes a lot of sense.

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 2:06 PM Kim Chaffee kim.chaffee2@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:

Kevin,

According to the YouTube video, below, featuring the eminent Australian biologist, Tim Flannery, the answer to the question of whether seaweed permanently sequesters CO2 when it dies and sinks to the bottom of the ocean is still unknown.  It may be degraded by microbes as it sinks.  If so, it could re-emit the CO2 or methane back into the atmosphere.  If it reaches the bottom before it can be degraded, it should stay there permanently.  Core samples taken from deep ocean sediment seem to confirm the sequestration hypothesis. However, there needs to be more research done on this important issue.  See minute 40:30 of the video for more information.

I highly recommend watching all 56 minutes of this video.  See minute 50:00 for discussion of saving 1 GT of CO2 by converting seaweed into biochar.  Total savings estimate is around 13GT from all uses for seaweed when scaling for deep ocean farming.  They are already making bricks for construction out of seaweed and using it for feeding to farmed fish.  It’s all in the video.

Kim

On Aug 23, 2019, at 7:58 AM, 'kchisholm' kchisholm@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:

Hi Jim

Your link below leads to another link: http://grid-arendal.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index..html?appid=f616ec1db45f4e898970bd448b190f50

Which gives a very good description of Sargassum…

One interesting point made in the article is that “… Sargassum dies off during the colder months…” When it dies off, what happens to it? Does it simply fall to the bottom, sequestering its carbon and nutrient load, or does the carbon and nutrient load get “recycled”?

Best wishes,

Kevin