From: biochar@... <biochar@...>
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2019 5:37 AM
To: biochar <biochar@...>
Subject: [biochar] Biochar in compost question

I have a simple question for which I need a simple answer:

I need to provide folks as varied as small farmers in the developing world to home owners is southern Ohio with a simple "recipe.: You are making compost and everyone says it is better if you mix in biochar. So hom much do you need?

This cannot be a complicated answer. it cannot include weighing things. it has to be intuitive and probably pretty visual. For example, For every 10 big trash cans of compost you need 5 buckets of biochar" or "Make your compost pile layer by layer,  2 m wide and 1.5 m tall. For every meter in length, add a bucket of biochar with each layer.." You get the idea.

photo

Dr. D. Michael Shafer
Founder and Director, Warm Heart

+1 732-745-9295 | +66 (0)85 199-2958 | d.michael.shafer@...

www.warmheartworldwide.org | Skype: live:d.michael.shafer53

Latest Tweet: Recent article published by Global Ground Media #airpollution #globalwarmingsolutions https://t.co/a2cdLpWF7h https://t.co/rwDykD7b9K

Read More

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Thanks. Very practical. Our farmers in Africa will understand this.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019, 5:19 PM 'Teel, Wayne - teelws' teelws@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:

Michael,

My recipe varies according to season and is not precise.  I doubt whether anyone’s recipe is precise when they do it in the backyard with the resources they have.  But here goes.  I put down a layer of biochar on a 1.1 meter square base defined by some old pallets that were being discarded.  It is basically one 5 gallon (about 20 liters) bucket of ground and wet biochar.  Then I started adding grass clippings, household kitchen waste and green weeds (not coarse stem material like goldenrod) until about 10 cm thick, then add another bucket of wet ground biochar.  In the winter I add cow manure to the mix, one bucket at a time.  Manure is easier to collect when the cows are eating hay and I don’t have grass clippings.  I do this until the pile is 3 feet high, which takes 4 to 6 months. It equals about 8 layers, but these shrink as the compost cures. Then I turned the pile and let it sit, starting another pile next to it.  About a month later I turn the pile again, wait a month and it is ready.  Right now I have about 400 liters of good quality compost to go on my garden, another 400 liters curing, and am starting another pile.  Biochar is about 5% of the original material by volume, but about 10% of the cured material when finished.  However these numbers are estimates, not acceptable in a refereed journal.  The results taste good though.  Basil absolutely thrives on the compost.

Wayne