Topics

United Nations Environment endorses Biochar - TerrAffix Soil Solutions Ltd #un #sdg

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

We may not need a specific firm to announce this, but certainly many of us have waited a long time for this kind of validation

https://terraffix.co.uk/united-nations-environment-endorses-biochar/

Kim Chaffee

Great find, Michael!  Thanks.

Being able to show the results of the UN Environment Program's multi-year field trials of biochar in six countries should greatly help with biochar’s credibility.  Here is a link to a 2017 news update on the results of 2-3 years of trials:  https://us11.campaign-archive.com/?u=8f144122b0cdec505ae434511&id=2ef78a749b .

Here is the main website for the UN Environment Program’s Biochar for Sustainable Soils (B4SS):  https://biochar.international .  I don’t know why I hadn’t heard about this before.

Kim

On Sep 14, 2019, at 10:22 PM, 'd.michael.shafer@...' d.michael.shafer@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:

We may not need a specific firm to announce this, but certainly many of us have waited a long time for this kind of validation

https://terraffix.co.uk/united-nations-environment-endorses-biochar/

Paul S Anderson

The link is an announcement by Terraffix, a company.   Interesting, but where is the UN document?   And does it contain biochar info relating to tropical settings?

Paul

Doc / Dr TLUD / Paul S. Anderson, PhD

Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP

Phone:  Office: 309-452-7072    Mobile: 309-531-4434

We may not need a specific firm to announce this, but certainly many of us have waited a long time for this kind of validation

https://terraffix.co.uk/united-nations-environment-endorses-biochar/

Paul S Anderson

Kim,

Thanks for the link.   At that site I found this photo of “charcoal making stove” in Ethiopia.

https://biochar.international/the-biochar-for-sustainable-soils-b4ss-project/ethiopia/

It has TLUD characteristics, and it makes charcoal.   Must be a pyrolyzer.   But not seen before by me.   The report says “Two differen biochar-making stoves.”   Does anyone have more data?    How many stoves of each type?   Evident that someone heard of woodgas / TLUD stoves.   I hope that they are in discussions with someone who has more than general knowledge.    Does not need to be me.   But with someone would be good.

Great to have such efforts successfully linking TLUD stoves and biochar and community progress.   Now to get such projects to be mutually supportive.   And to earn some carbon credits for the folks who are doing the work.

[...]

Tom Miles

Paul,

The Terrafix press release refers to the Biochar for sustainable Soils Project https://biochar.international/

“The Biochar for Sustainable Soils (B4SS) is a medium-sized project funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF) under the Land Degradation Focal Area in the GEF-5 Strategies. The United Nations Development Programme (UNEP) is the implementing agency, whereas Starfish Initiatives is the executing agency for the B4SS project. The main objective of the B4SS is to demonstrate and promote the adoption of Sustainable Land Management (SLM) practices involving biochar (charcoal applied to soils)”.

The project was developed by our former IBI Board member Dr. Annette Cowie, Australia, with Dr. Ruy Anaya de la Rosa. Ruy managed the project. He joined our delegation to promote biochar last year at the UNFCCC COP 24 meeting. As you will see from the website it was very productive and involved field activities in  ChinaEthiopiaKenyaPeruIndonesia and Vietnam. You will find that several familiar people in biochar were involved in the project like Dr. Stephen Joseph.

Dr. Brenton Ladd, who managed the project in Peru is now on the IBI board. His group developed some excellent videos in Spanish and English on making biochar. Brenton will be helping us in Chile at COP25.

Ruy Anaya presented a webinar on the project for IBI November 11, of 2018. You will find an excellent presentation of lessons learned in the various project.

https://biochar-international.org/webinars-list/

The B4SS project sites in general have ongoing biochar activities. On of the criteria for selecting sites was that they have three years of experience working with biochar.

I recommend viewing the webinar and the Spanish videos and studying the website.

Chair

International Biochar Initiative

Biochar-international.org