Topics

corn produces nitrogen [1 Attachment] #microbes #nutrients

David Yarrow

i'm on the run; no time to type long detailed thoughts.
so, a few quick comments.

few seem to understand yet what soil is:
one of the most complex substances on earth.
more focused & functional: one of the most complex communities on earth.
soil isn't just structure & infrastructure: it a population of creatures.
i hope everyone on this list understands that
"dirt is inert, but soil is ALIVE!"
(biochar is also inert -- a classic inert substrate)

it is this life -- the microbes --
that secrete and exude complex, sticky chemicals
to create the "biofilms" stephen j noticed that entomb old chunks of char.
"biochar bits buried in slime", so to speak.
and slime, for the most part, is bacteria equivalent of poop.
a certain amount is essential; too much is a "waste."
one microbe's poop is another's building material.

i teach nitrogen isn't a chemical molecule or nutrient, it's a cycle
-- always on the move, changing form & energy state.
almost as busy the carbon cycle.
the nitrogen cycle is mostly driven by bacteria;
the tiniest microbes fix, convert & release nitrogen in these cycles.
a partnership of diverse microbes is required for these conversions,
and a team of various bacteria is needed for each conversion.
last i checked, national science foundation listed over 250 N-fixing microbes.
these conversions also require special trace elements with unique valence & geometry.

nitrogen carries 3 electrons, with intense charge, thus makes great explosives.
and is difficult, even dangerous, for even microbes to process.
these energy intensive processes need a steady supply of sugar (= electrons),
hence the exudate "goo" of the corn = surplus sugars for microbes,
delivering charge to the N-conversion sites.
i'm startled this N-fixing takes place above ground, not some low-oxygen subsoil.

for a green & peaceful planet,
david yarrow

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 4:43 PM Stephen Joseph joey.stephen@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from Stephen Joseph included below]

Hi Mike et al

Here are the results with low application rate biochar mineral complexes with microbial analysis.  It was a complex experiment and there are a lot more results.

But I am very busy getting ready for our national biochar study tour and conference next week.

Basically it all happens around the roots and more importantly we are seeing changes in endophytes as well as microbes that sit on the roots.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 1:08 AM mikethewormguy mikethewormguy@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:

stephen,

interesting root zone effect.........

we are focused on spending time & resources trying to condition the root zone to get an expected outcome...  why work on the bulk soil when all the action&effect is in the rhizosphere.

this root zone conditioning can start with amending with inputs but long term, rotation and companion planting are important factors.....

BIOmass CHAR, whether from wood, straw, and bone, all can have a part to play in this underground movement....

my 2 cents.....

mike