Topics

Biochar in Fire Safety Plans? #technology #firesafety

James Baskin

Hello all,

I am curious if anyone is familiar with wildfire fuel modification derived biochar being identified as a risk reduction strategy in any fire safety plan.

I've been volunteering with my local county fire safe council in their update of our county's Community Wildfire Protection Plan.  The plan is currently emphasizing traditional open burning of slash piles and chipping woody debris but has zilch with respect to other applications for the materials generated in establishing defensible space around structures or providing fire and fuel breaks between forested and developed areas.

Has anyone heard of such?

Brian Lewis

Yes. At maccybiochar we list one of the advantages of converting tree litter to biochar as fire hazard reduction.
Brian Lewis
Chair, Steering Committee
Macclesfield Community Biochar Centre
www.maccybiochar.com

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S5

I am curious if anyone is familiar with wildfire fuel modification derived biochar being identified as a risk reduction strategy in any fire safety plan.

I've been volunteering with my local county fire safe council in their update of our county's Community Wildfire Protection Plan.  The plan is currently emphasizing traditional open burning of slash piles and chipping woody debris but has zilch with respect to other applications for the materials generated in establishing defensible space around structures or providing fire and fuel breaks between forested and developed areas.

Has anyone heard of such?

Kirk Harris

James,

Check out            http://bioenergyday.com/

There are several videos, some including wild fire suppression, and enough information to make some contacts.  Unfortunately, these biomass power plants do burn the charcoal instead of sequestering it.

Kirk H

Tom Miles

James,

Biochar is being considered in at least one California community. Currently defensible space materials including pine needles ad solid wood are collected, chipped, stored and burned in a distant bioenergy facility.

The emergence of small pile flame cap kilns and contractor scale enclosed burners that can recover biochar like the ROI Equipment and the US Forest Service/Air Burner carbonizers make it feasible to plan periodic removal and carbonization. The material can also be carbonized in equipment with energy recovery.  See:

Darren McAvoy “MOBILE PYROLYSIS AND FUEL TREATMENT TO REDUCE FIRE RISK FOREST” BIOMASS AND THE BIOECONOMY VANCOUVER, WA, APRIL 25, 2019

https://westernforestry.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/McAvoy.pdf

Hazardous Fuels Reduction Using Flame Cap Biochar Kilns

https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/extension_curall/2057/

ROI Equipment https://roi-equipment.com/

Air Burners https://airburners.com/

Benefits for the community are reduction in disposal costs and production of biochar that can be used for local restoration, revegetation, water quality and soil health projects. Energy recovery from the solid wood is also possible depending on the local demand and distribution. The economicsof small scale systems are often a challenge.

Tom