Topics

FW: [Biochar] Pyrolyzing Sewage Sludge & Digestate #biosolids #pfas #pfos #digestate

Kevin Chisholm

From: Kevin [mailto:kchisholm-inter@...]
Sent: December 11, 2019 4:55 AM
To: 'main@Biochar.groups.io' <main@Biochar.groups.io>
Subject: RE: [Biochar] Pyrolyzing Sewage Sludge & Digestate

Hi Tom

What are ”PFAS”? How are they made? Is there a “family of PFAS”? Are they all equally toxic? What kind of damage do they do? Can they be captured from the biosolids streams?

This site:

https://www.pfasfacts.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=pfasfacts%20initial&utm_content=0004

was written by a PFAS manufacturer (3M) and according to them, it seems that they made some “bad stuff in the past”, but that they don’t make it now.

Are “Present PFAS” harmful in “raw biosolids”, OR do they only become harmful when the biosolids are converted to char?

There would seem to be a lot of “loose ends” associated with PFAS. Are they, or are they not, a problem? If they are a problem, should the Biochar Community distance itself from charring biosolids?

Thanks and Best wishes,

Kevin