Topics

Biochar in Soil #biochar #soil #organic matter #biochar #soil #organic

ROBERT W GILLETT

Merry Christmas All,

Thought I'd drop a lump of hi-tech coal in your stockings. Carbon foam looks like a high-quality biochar from the description by the USFS. The recent winners of the Keeling Curve prize may be using it as a substrate to form catalysts for CO2 capture (see paper by Ma et al. under References). Biochar may yet end up being the biggest solution to global warming, but under a different moniker and in a way most did not anticipate.

Robert Gillett

Tom Miles

Thanks for highlighting this Bob. The carbon foam project has been underway for a few years. It’s good to see some progress.

Tom

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of ROBERT W GILLETT
Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2019 4:59 AM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: [Biochar] Carbon foam #catalysts

Merry Christmas All,

Thought I'd drop a lump of hi-tech coal in your stockings. Carbon foam looks like a high-quality biochar from the description by the USFS. The recent winners of the Keeling Curve prize may be using it as a substrate to form catalysts for CO2 capture (see paper by Ma et al. under References). Biochar may yet end up being the biggest solution to global warming, but under a different moniker and in a way most did not anticipate.

Robert Gillett

Robert Lehmert

I spoke with the scientist who is developing this project. It looks amazing but very complex. He was thrilled that somebody had noticed his work and called to discuss it. When I mentioned pyrolysis, it was like we were cousins.

I can think of dozens of uses -- but development is hampered by the scientist's access to tools and equipment. The sample shown in the story is 6" X 6" which is the largest sample they can make in the oven they use. As a courtesy, I asked him to elaborate on the specifications for the oven, so I might reach out to our community to see if there is a larger unit he could use to accelerate testing. Maybe there is a university that could work on the project to move it along to commercialization faster. 

The product is patent pending, and I tracked down the office which licenses it. If anyone is interested, I can respond to further inquiries about that.

A second article about the material is here:  https://bioplasticsnews.com/2018/10/21/us-government-usda-promotes-lignin/

The US patent pending is here: https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/41/3a/3c/8612419cbdcf54/US20190248656A1.pdf

Anand Karve

Happy new  year to all. 
Much has been written on biochar. In this group the talk seems to be mainly about making biochar, but how exactly it works in the soil and on plants is still a mystery to me. Since it is applied to the soil, it must be 1.making more minerals available to plants 2.bettering the soil structure, 3. increasing water supply to the plants 4. offering shelter to beneficial soil microbes 5 all of the above. Since carbon does not dissolve in water and also does not biodegrade, the contribution of biochar might be due to its physical structure. Has anybody compared the effect of biochar with any other material having similar physical characteristics, e.g. broken pieces of terra cotta pottery, pumice, wood chips etc. In my own trials I found that application of raw, non-composted sugarcane bagasse to the soil also causes yield increase in crops, but I did not compare it with biochar, because our soils are extremely alkaline (pH above 8.5) and biochar does not work here. Bagasse is light and porous, it degrades rather slowly in the soil because the cellulose is tightly bonded to lignin. Bagasse is a leftover product of sugarcane after the juice has been extracted from it. Due to the rigorous way in which the juice extraction takes place, almost no water soluble material is left in it. It also has practically no minerals of use to plants in it except for potassium silicate.   
Yours
A.D.Karve

Dr. A.D. Karve

Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 7:11 AM Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

Thanks for highlighting this Bob. The carbon foam project has been underway for a few years. It’s good to see some progress.

Tom

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of ROBERT W GILLETT
Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2019 4:59 AM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: [Biochar] Carbon foam #catalysts

Merry Christmas All,

Robert Gillett