Topics

New Journal Paper: Bio-coal: A renewable and massively producible fuel from lignocellulosic biomass #biooil #biocoal

Jeff Holiman

Bio-coal: A renewable and massively producible fuel from lignocellulosic biomass
Cheng et al., Sci. Adv. 2020; 6 : eaay0748 3 January 2020

Among several favorable discussion points I am encouraged by the scenario for making biochar and returning a portion of it to enhance the very agricultural systems from which it came.

Kind regards,

Jeff Holiman
Bandon, Oregon
503-329-7912

ROBERT W GILLETT

Jeff,

Thanks for the link. Here is another one for those who want a summary. It looks to me that the upshot of this research is a better way to use bio-oil than as a liquid fuel. I'm surprised this is a discovery, though, because I had the impression that efforts at making clean coal were already using biomass feedstocks in some cases. What I did not realize is that nobody had figured out how to make coal out of the bio-oil. Just as an initial take, this looks like it could rescue both coal burning infrastructure and the fledgling biochar industry, but we would have to get over any preconceptions about clean coal (probably why they aren't calling it that).

Robert Gillett