Topics

Disseminating Cost Effective Biochar Solutions to Hunger #hunger #africa

Tom Miles

Michael,

Africa, Asia, the Pacific, Central and South America all have major food security challenges now and for the future. Cost effective biochar solutions to hunger have been clearly demonstrated by you (Warmheart in Thailand, Kenya, Ghana, Malawi), Hans Peter Schmidt (Ithaka in Nepal and elsewhere) members of the Biochar for Sustainable Soils Team (Ruy Anaya, Stephen Joseph, Brenton Ladd – Peru) and others. In many cases these agents of change have continued the good work in the same and other areas but are not well known. Ruy, who managed the project, continues the work in the Pacific Islands – Vanuatu. As you point out it has been challenging to get support to disseminate the biochar techniques to those in need. When my friend who has long experience in development projects Malawi visited your project in Zomba he concluded that,  “It is wonderful to have simple, positive results from an affordable biochar process benefiting people who deserve it.” But he has been unsuccessful in getting donor agencies to support expanding the project. Just developing the proposals takes funding. For example, the B4SS project took three years of proposal development and review before the received funding for the five year project. We need to find more effective ways of funding the education and outreach activities so that we can get work done on the ground. At IBI we have spent two years meeting with major donor agencies and NGOs in Africa attempting to develop proposals to fund projects.

Techniques deployed by the successful projects tend to be similar. Biochars are made from a variety of feedstocks using low cost TLUDs, pit kilns, and flame cap kilns like Kon Tikis. Small quantities of biochars are combined with nutrient sources such as manures, urine, or compost, and strategically applied when seeding, or before. You can’t beat the cost benefit. In your projects smallholders in Malawi can pay cash for 25kg of synthetic fertilizer or they can make their own biochar-manure mix of 50-70kg and get healthier soil, better yields, less water, and healthier animals. “Mixing the char with manure, they have been able to double crop yields and cut water requirements by four. A local vet has also demonstrated that char in animal feed reduces illnesses and improves weight gain/egg and milk production. The project has now reached more than 2500  farmers in Malawi at a total cost of $2,000 and a lot of volunteer effort.”

IBI and the African Biochar Partnership have been attempting to network research, policy/funding (Government and NGOs), and users in African countries. We are beginning to inspire productive collaborations but getting the outreach and extension organizations on the ground to incorporate simple biochar solutions into their existing programs has been a huge challenge. It has been encouraging to see private companies like Seedballs Kenya and Safi Organics (Kenya) promoting biochar based solutions.

Let’s find ways to disseminate simple, practical, cost effective biochar solutions to solve real hunger challenges instead of using developing countries as a laboratory.

Tom