Topics

An open source project idea for IBI...... #snowmelt

mikethewormguy

To everyone......

As I finish up my almost daily winter task of moving snow from one place to another an idea was gestating in my mind.....

What if all of the folks on this list come together on create design plans for a mobile snow melting pyrolyzer.....?

Cities and airports, where it snows, run out of places to put snow in the winter.....

The IBI could coordinate this activity for a fee.

Local folks could provide the snow melt service or ????

I am throwing this idea out there into the biochar sphere for feedback......

Your thoughts......?

Stephen Joseph

thats very easy to do.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 3:56 AM mikethewormguy via Groups.Io <mikethewormguy=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
To everyone......

As I finish up my almost daily winter task of moving snow from one place to another an idea was gestating in my mind.....

What if all of the folks on this list come together on create design plans for a mobile snow melting pyrolyzer.....?

Cities and airports, where it snows, run out of places to put snow in the winter.....

The IBI could coordinate this activity for a fee.

Local folks could provide the snow melt service or ????

I am throwing this idea out there into the biochar sphere for feedback......

Your thoughts......?

Kathleen Draper

That thought occurred to me a few years ago as well.
How do you mean IBI could coordinate this activity?

Kathleen

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 3:17 PM -0500, "Stephen Joseph" <joey.stephen@...> wrote:

thats very easy to do.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 3:56 AM mikethewormguy via Groups.Io <mikethewormguy=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
To everyone......

As I finish up my almost daily winter task of moving snow from one place to another an idea was gestating in my mind.....

What if all of the folks on this list come together on create design plans for a mobile snow melting pyrolyzer.....?

Cities and airports, where it snows, run out of places to put snow in the winter.....

The IBI could coordinate this activity for a fee.

Local folks could provide the snow melt service or ????

I am throwing this idea out there into the biochar sphere for feedback......

Your thoughts......?

Kathleen

The IBI could manage this project.....

Mike

Bill Knauss

It would be helpful to have a little more information Mike. Maybe you could rig up your snowshovel with some sort of scales you could use to measure how many pounds of snow you might want to melt.

If the temperature was close to freezing and and we were only going to pyrolyse the feedstock I suspect we could melt a pound of snow with a half pound of biomass, figuring an overall efficiency of around 50%.  Of course if it was a lot colder it would take more energy and if the ground or pavement underneath was really cold you might end up with a sheet of ice replacing the snow

Personally I had been thinking of a less energy intensive use of waste pyrolysis heat from biomass that is otherwise a very expensive liability.  I don't think either Kathleen or Albert mentioned this use in their book "Burn".  I call it biocharmation.

There would be a strong inclination to use the resulting biochar for a culturally sensitive use like planting a carbon negative memorial orchard as opposed to using it in your barbecue.

In any case if we fail to reverse global warming it will eventually pyrolyse everything that is left without any benificial effects whatsoever.