Biofuelwatch update on biochar #sustainability #biofuelwatch

Trevor Richards

https://www.biofuelwatch.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/biochar-briefing-2020.pdf

Should this be ignored or discussed? ... does it need some expert rebuttal?
(thanks Frank, for high-lighting)

Gordon West

I think the article makes a number of valid observations, such as the lack of solid long-term, experimental data for biochar use over a wide range of soil types and applications (we all know that and wish it otherwise), and a not yet well-developed use for the energy potential (many of us are making good progress in that regard). However, those issues are being addressed at an increasing pace and depth.

The troubling part is that there appears to be a distinct prejudice against biochar production and use, intimating that it may be dangerous until proven otherwise by rigorous scientific experiments. It also goes far into a number of “what ifs” that are not in the plans of anyone I know of. For instance, albedo effects from biochar on the surface of the ground - is anyone seriously planning to do extensive top dressings of biochar?

I don’t think a rebuttal in kind, that is an opposing article in the media, is a good idea - it would just give their arguments more airtime and further raise suspicions among uneducated readers. But it might be worthwhile to get these folks in a face to face discussion/debate situation, so that there would be an exchange of concerns and facts to cure the prejudice.

My opinion,

Gordon West
The Trollworks
503 N. “E” Street
Silver City, NM 88061
575-537-3689

An entrepreneur sees problems as the seeds of opportunity.

On Jan 25, 2020, at 9:43 PM, Trevor Richards <trevor@...> wrote:

https://www.biofuelwatch.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/biochar-briefing-2020.pdf

Should this be ignored or discussed? ... does it need some expert rebuttal?
(thanks Frank, for high-lighting)

ROBERT W GILLETT

My guess is that Biofuels Watch has a much smaller following than the collective biochar movement. Responding directly or openly would be falling for the bait. If challenged by any of these aspersions in a strategic forum, answers should be always ready at hand, but we should not add to Biofuels Watch's press exposure by an immediate head-on debate.

My 2 cents,

Robert Gillett

Rick Wilson

Someone could respond to Rachel Smokler directly, she has a Ph.D. from the University of Michigan, so she is a smart lady, and can be contacted through Linkedin.  I would suggest that if there is a response it should be one voice only, IBI, or a well-known researcher.

Her points:

Widenening Scope - true, outside of soils, which she does not mention

Finding something useful - true, challenge is cost (feedstock), lack of institutional money to build production due to to open source information

Priming - positive priming comments true, she forgets to describe negative priming that kicks in later

Vast areas for feedstock needed - come to California, 50 million tons being pulled out of landfills to mitigate GHG

Biproduct of energy production, not carbon negative.  If Energy - power, gasification established.  If Energy = fuels, there is not enough energy in biomass to produce high energy density transportation fuels (her claim is true for fuels).

Climate Mitigation, lack of long term studies.  Recent 4-year study by David Laird et.al, shows biochar catalyzes carbon sequestion, and I am sure there are many others that could be referenced.

Rick

On Sunday, January 26, 2020, 12:10:38 PM PST, ROBERT W GILLETT <themarvalus.wabio@...> wrote:

My guess is that Biofuels Watch has a much smaller following than the collective biochar movement. Responding directly or openly would be falling for the bait. If challenged by any of these aspersions in a strategic forum, answers should be always ready at hand, but we should not add to Biofuels Watch's press exposure by an immediate head-on debate.

My 2 cents,

Robert Gillett

Laurent Chabanne

Robert,

I agree with you. Those arguments should considered and addressed, with answers ready at hand, but not addressed directly.

Laurent

Kathleen Draper

Hello all -
I saw the latest Biofuelswatch article on twitter last week and left the message below. No response of course.  I encourage others to dig deeper into who they really are if they have the means, as this gets to their credibility and true agenda. Also, though Rachel may have a PhD, I think it is in zoology (I could be wrong?), so not really sure how that makes her an expert on things like climate change or biochar. Would love to know how much of her time is spent on solutions versus anti-everything.

I have also heard BFW is funded by the fossil fuel industry. This is in line with how they have sowed seeds of doubt about climate change for decades so it would not surprise me. I agree with the comment that addressing their article directly adds fuel to the fire where as addressing certain inaccuracies without giving the articles more views is a smarter strategy. I don't think IBI will be responding directly to this article. We've had this discussion in the past and the consensus seems to be that playing defense to those that have an 'anti' agenda is not worthwhile.

Cheers
Kathleen

Replying to
Always interested in who funds Biofuelswatch. Would you be willing to be transparent about your funding sources?
10:37 PM · Jan 22, 2020·Twitter for Android

Frank Strie

Thanks Kathleen,
I also read the latest “review” update from the BFW last week.
What a selective and misleading style of reporting, to me it is nothing short of sad kind of reporting, very selective and I suggest deliberately cynical, arrogant and misleading / confusion food.
I did have a look at the BFW website and they have listed the following supporting organisations:

https://www.biofuelwatch.org.uk/about
“ABOUT US

1.     Biofuelwatch provides information, advocacy and campaigning in relation to the climate, environmental, human rights and public health impacts of large-scale industrial bioenergy.  We are a small team of staff and volunteers based in the UK and US.  In the past two years, our work has been supported by grants from Ceres Trust, CS Fund/Wash-Mott Legacy, Heinrich-Boell Foundation, JMG Foundation, Network for Social Change, Packard Foundation, Partnership for Policy Integrity, Patagonia Foundation, and Threshold Foundation. We are also grateful for smaller individual donations. … “ ---

To be very frank, why would they not have reviewed the many references that are available to us all in the 2019 book of Carbon Cascades, ‘BURN Using Fire to Cool the Earth‘, and /or the many credible sources by people like Prof. Bruno Glaser https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-45693-z ; https://youtu.be/zf5rbSJ3lHo

That’s all I like to say at this stage.
Thanks to you and all active collaborators in the important Biochar Displacement Strategy for the good of this and future generations.
Best regards from under Down Under
Frank

Frank

Inline image 1

Schwabenforest Pty. Ltd.
Karin & Frank Strie
82 Brady’s Lookout Road
Rosevears, TAS, 7277
ph: 6394 4395
m: 61 (0) 417 312 927
Skype: frank.strie1

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FranksCharTasmania
website: https://www.terrapretadevelopments.com.au/products

Member of the International Biochar Initiative
www.biochar-international.org

Associated with: the Biochar Journal & the Ithaka Institute
www.biochar-journal.org/en

The original home base of Australian Wilderness Adventures -
Trek Tours Australia
https://www.trektoursaustralia.com.au

https://www.trektasmania.com.au , Tarkine Trails

AND

Frank Strie   (Managing Director AU)

The whole range of top quality FeedChars for
pets – livestock – poultry - fish

CharLine GmbH
Oberwarter Strasse 100
7422 Riedlingsdorf
AUSTRIA
+61 (0) 3 63 944 395

+61 (0) 417 312 927

https://www.char-line.com/au

www.facebook.com/charlinegmbh

[...]

Paul S Anderson

Kathleen,

1.  Many of us (certainly my case) have PhD degrees that are not related to biochar topics.

2.  Can we obtain solid information about the disruptive efforts being financed by the fossil fuel companies?   Easier said than done, but exposing them would be helpful.

Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP

     Go to: www.JuntosNFP.org  to support woodgas (TLUD) projects

     incl. purchase of Woodgas Emission Reduction (WER) carbon credits

     and please tell you friends about these distinctive service efforts.

     with pages 88 – 94 about  solving the world crisis for clean cookstoves.

[...]

Thomas Vincent

Never had any dealings with Biofuelwatch. The tone of their publications Does seem a tad shrill. Long on anger and short on solutions.

For what it’s worth their website lists the following:

In the past two years, our work has been supported by grants from Ceres Trust, CS Fund/Wash-Mott Legacy, Heinrich-Boell Foundation, JMG Foundation, Network for Social Change, Packard Foundation, Partnership for Policy Integrity, Patagonia Foundation, and Threshold Foundation

Norm Baker

Everyone;

This publication from biofuels watch is one of those issues where populism seems to give credit to what they say. If people who are skeptical about biofuels and biochar are flapping their lips, the naïve but interested people in the community start to wonder. That is the goal of this publication. Stephen Joseph hit the nail on the head. Cherry picked publications and totally inadequate literature review of even the most common scientific text.

I have been active in soils for many years. Just since this publication appeared, I have addressed, a serious rebuttal to at least five soils groups or gardener groups or climate change groups about this very publication. Personally, I think someone of a stature like Stephen Joseph or Johannes Lehmann should write a rebuttal that quotes the article succinctly enough to have it come up in a Google search every time someone reads that article. In this day and age of Internet access to information, it's almost like this publication is becoming viral when people who know what really is going on no it's entirely not credible.

Norm

Nando Breiter

I have a "BFW" directory on my computer from more than a decade ago - information I was collecting back then to rebut their claims. I've attached a Word document from 2009 ... haven't taken the time to reread it, but I just wanted to highlight how long their stance has persisted. Bottom line, BFW's financing comes with an agenda, and unless we raise enough money to outbid their current backers and pay Rachel Smolker & co. to say something different, they won't.

--
Nando Breiter
http://biochar.info

Nando Breiter

I can't believe these people are still opposing biochar. They were doing this ... 12 years ago. It is a complete waste of time to interact with them. Many people have tried over the years.

Nando

Geoff Thomas

Dear Nando, Thank you so much for all your careful work, i feel humbled by the time and thought and care you have taken.
I believe it would be very benefical of all of us on the Biochar list to read your work here, particularly regarding it as an "innoculation” against the specious and false arguments being promulgated by the Oil and Coal industry’s funded ‘think tanks’ that likely include the BFW.
I also enjoyed seeing ‘Vandana’ quoted by the BFW as she was part of the “Beware the Biochar initiative" article that infiltrated the Permaculture movement, and included many of the BFW assertions, - fortunately I believe the Permaculture movement has since significantly discredited that article.

I would like to take the opportunity to repeat something I have said in the past, ie that the fossil fuel industry made a very serious mistake when they dismissed the possibility of Wind to displace their assets, (Hypnotised by their own rhetoric?) but by the time they realised their mistake there were a hundred or so wind turbine manufacturers all over the globe, - the genie was out of the bottle and they have determined that no more genies will live, so leading to funding of many organisations such as BFW, to squash any incipient alternatives whatever to them, or even any exploration of alternatives.

It is pleasing to see that in America the Coal industry has been almost completely displaced by Wind, (and Solar) 14% of electricity produced by coal last year, 5 to 11% this year, and most coal fired power stations down to 54% of their capability, and now mainly used for load following, - how the mighty King Coal has fallen, but still has many vengeful supporters, some of which will no doubt promote claptrap such as promulgated by the BFW.

Thanks again Nando.

Geoff Thomas, Australia.

On 1 Feb 2020, at 3:16 am, nando@carbonzero.ch wrote:

<BFW Reply from RIC.doc>

[...]

Apologies for multiple copies, - those that got them, - not sure why..