Topics

blog #foodsecurity #nutrition

Benoit Lambert, PhD <benoit.lambert7@...>

blog 34) Commenting FAO’s HLPE 15 // Commentaires du HLPE 15 de la FAO (en français )

Thank you for your invitation to comment Food Security and Nutrition: Building a global narrative towards 2030 draft report…

ROBERT W GILLETT

Excellent points, Benoit. If NRCS has made a 180, then let's hope this example is followed by the rest of USDA, leading to a vast reduction in chemical farming.

Robert Gillett

Benoit Lambert, PhD <benoit.lambert7@...>

oh thank you Robert, I appreciate your comment. When I started listening to the 40 or so NRCS videos « unlocking… » I was amazed. The message was completely opposed to policies… It shows that we are into an intellectual revolution in agriculture, people see that current policies don’t make sense from a scientific perspective.

Le 23 févr. 2020 à 05:55, ROBERT W GILLETT <themarvalus.wabio@...> a écrit :

Excellent points, Benoit. If NRCS has made a 180, then let's hope this example is followed by the rest of USDA, leading to a vast reduction in chemical farming.

Robert Gillett

Ron Larson

 Benoit and list,  cc Robert

Today was my first visit to your site.  Your Blog 34 is not as important to this list as is Blog 30 - which is relatively easy to get to from your URL below.  I recommend that many on this list read it - with your emphasis on cascading (or “out-year” benefits)

The part of biochar that I didn’t see stressed enough in your Blog 30 is the energy side of biochar.  Able to replace coal, gas and oil in every end-use sector.  Wind and solar, being non-dispatchable are relying on battery backup to replace the natural gas now being used - but that must be phased out.  I believe battery storage will come down a lot in cost, but will never be the right solution for backup used only a few days a year.  Any biomass ready to be charred is stored energy.  We should not be flaring the pyrolysis gases that contain more energy than in the char.

Your #30 blog was a great introduction to biochar.

Ron