Topics

Mineral Carbonation & Biochar #concrete #carboncapture

Don Coyne <don@...>

Dear Group,

I'd like to discuss an idea that a colleague of mine has proposed that we can supercharge the Mineral Carbonation Industry. Has anyone had any experience in this area i.e. combining the technology with a biochar plant or adding biochar to the mineralised? I don't know much the process and wether its a viable economic consideration but it seems if we're in an emergency then combining the two technologies would be paramount? A short video on hte process here https://vimeo.com/72796849

Chars,

Don

Ron Larson

Don and list

Good question.   I think there should be major support from most of the biochar industry - as most are now flaring CO2 with a quite high density.  A supposed major advantage of BECCS is larger CO2 sequestration - which would no longer be true with what you are proposing.  It will happen sooner where some incentive is provided for sequestration.

Biochar systems, being much smaller than BECCS (which isn’t moving much anyway) should have an advantage wherever total energy (combine heat and power) is possible because the typical biochar system will be much smaller.

It doesn’t seem likely that " adding biochar to the mineralised” can beat out making char with that same input  biomass.   Using otherwise waste CO2 is a different story.  This mainly because biochar has CDR benefits after the first year - and I don’t think anyone can make that claim for mineralizing.

Don (main organizer of the main Aussie biochar group):  Can you summarize how you feel biochar is progressing in Australia - now vs ten years ago?  (Independent of mineral carbonation)

Ron

On Mar 3, 2020, at 3:53 PM, Don Coyne <don@...> wrote:

Dear Group,

I'd like to discuss an idea that a colleague of mine has proposed that we can supercharge the Mineral Carbonation Industry. Has anyone had any experience in this area i.e. combining the technology with a biochar plant or adding biochar to the mineralised? I don't know much the process and wether its a viable economic consideration but it seems if we're in an emergency then combining the two technologies would be paramount? A short video on hte process here https://vimeo.com/72796849

Chars,

Don

Rick Wilson

Don,
I agree the chemistry is there. The question is cost.  What does it cost to recover CO2?  The companies trying to to this, such as Carbon Engineering in Canada, are finding its very expensive.  Rick

On Tuesday, March 3, 2020, 06:20:20 PM PST, Ron Larson <rongretlarson@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ron & Rob,

Rob, Puro use mineral carbonation along with biochar as a verified credit methodology if that is worth anything? I suppose the ROI is there if it is producing a high value product which in the case of CM it is, concrete, roads, etc. to an already existing business model, i.e. coal fired power station or potentially biochar plant.

Ron, I meant mixing biochar with the mineralised product to enhance economic and environmental benefits. As far as progress of the ANZ Biochar Industry, it is slowly but surely progressing albeit not as fast as we would like. I am aware of at least 4 new plants over the last 24 months. I reckon we might be up to around 10K tonne per annum that we know of, not much;

Holla Fresh, S.A. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmfUgC86nFk

Tamworth, N.S.W. https://www.carbonpoweredmineral.com.au/

Loganholme, Qld https://arena.gov.au/projects/logan-city-biosolids-gasification-project/

Towoomba, Qld https://www.pyrocal.com.au/

Largest accidental producer in Australia is https://www.simcoa.com.au/products at 3K p/a & a sawmill in Rotorua, N.Z. has a stockpile of High Carbon Boiler Ash that’s achieving about 3K tonne p/a in sales for soil application.

Having said all that if you believe what some of the other players that will be hitting the market in the next 12 months, it is about to explode!

Chars,