Topics

Can small additions of biochar raise the rate at which animals (ruminents) will gain weight if they are being fed for fattening? #biochar #IBI

Ahsan Rashid

I once read somewhere that adding 1% biochar to feeds for fattening cattle may raise the rate of cattle's weight gain by as much as 25%. Is this possible? Regards, Ahsan Rashid

Stephen Joseph

it depends.  No experimental evidence but anecdotal in drought situations possibly

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:27 PM Ahsan Rashid <rashid5808@...> wrote:
I once read somewhere that adding 1% biochar to feeds for fattening cattle may raise the rate of cattle's weight gain by as much as 25%. Is this possible? Regards, Ahsan Rashid

CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL

I agree with Joseph, it depends on the biochar feedstock type. if the feedstock is sewage sludge it contains heavy metals then it will be harmful.

Regards,
Paul
Czech University of Life Sciences Prague

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:08 PM Stephen Joseph <joey.stephen@...> wrote:
it depends.  No experimental evidence but anecdotal in drought situations possibly

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:27 PM Ahsan Rashid <rashid5808@...> wrote:

Lou Puls

Indeed, Paul and Joseph to Ahsan.  A far better application of sewage sludge biochar would be as a highly valuable additive to cement for concrete, as detailed in the US patent application of 14 Nov. 2019, searchable by number 20190345061, Type A1.

Today, the USDA is finally getting serious about their tardy acceptance of the importance of biochar in forestry, whether public or private, big or small :
USDA link on forestry biochar

Lou

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Farmers we are working with in East Africa swear by this, but i would refer to the recent and i think definitive lit review by Schmidt, Hagerman, Draper and Kammann, "The Use of Biochar in Animal Feeding."

M

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 6:27 PM Ahsan Rashid <rashid5808@...> wrote: