Topics

experiment with biochar #inoculatedbiochar


Tom Martwick
 

This is a pic of some broccoli plants I am growing in 100% biochar.  This is biochar that I produce, then bury in worm casting (That I also produce myself).  The plants are doing well and looking very healthy.  
Tom Martwick
PurEarth Products
Phillips, Wi. 54555


Stephen Joseph
 

the biochar is intimately mixed with worm castings so what percentage biochar and what percentage worm castings is in the pot?


On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 7:45 AM Tom Martwick via Groups.Io <wormer50=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
This is a pic of some broccoli plants I am growing in 100% biochar.  This is biochar that I produce, then bury in worm casting (That I also produce myself).  The plants are doing well and looking very healthy.  
Tom Martwick
PurEarth Products
Phillips, Wi. 54555


Mike Overby
 

Does anyone know of tests of inoculated biochar of different types (side by side comparisons).  Bacterial dominated compost vs vermicompost…. mixed with biochar?

 

Regards,

Mike Overby, PE/CMC
575-377-4512

469-222-6455 – Cell

 

 

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stephen Joseph
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 4:15 PM
To: main@biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] experiment with biochar

 

the biochar is intimately mixed with worm castings so what percentage biochar and what percentage worm castings is in the pot?

 

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 7:45 AM Tom Martwick via Groups.Io <wormer50=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

This is a pic of some broccoli plants I am growing in 100% biochar.  This is biochar that I produce, then bury in worm casting (That I also produce myself).  The plants are doing well and looking very healthy.  

Tom Martwick

PurEarth Products

Phillips, Wi. 54555


CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL
 

We are inoculating phosphate solubilizing fungus to biochar with a little bit of carbon source (glucose). If anyone interested please let me know.


On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:59 PM Mike Overby <mike.overby@...> wrote:

Does anyone know of tests of inoculated biochar of different types (side by side comparisons).  Bacterial dominated compost vs vermicompost…. mixed with biochar?

 

Regards,

Mike Overby, PE/CMC
575-377-4512

469-222-6455 – Cell

 

 

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stephen Joseph
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 4:15 PM
To: main@biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] experiment with biochar

 

the biochar is intimately mixed with worm castings so what percentage biochar and what percentage worm castings is in the pot?

 

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 7:45 AM Tom Martwick via Groups.Io <wormer50=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

This is a pic of some broccoli plants I am growing in 100% biochar.  This is biochar that I produce, then bury in worm casting (That I also produce myself).  The plants are doing well and looking very healthy.  

Tom Martwick

PurEarth Products

Phillips, Wi. 54555


Eric Nolan <cirenalon@...>
 

Here is my Facebook page  Canadian Biochar & Bacon https://www.facebook.com/groups/171250350169580/
anyone can join.
Char on,
Eric


Geoff Thomas
 

Mike, I would think that the comparison should be between Chemichar and Biochar, as both your proposed mediiums are Biochar, yet the amount of Bio is dependant on what you put in the soil that feeds the Micro biology, and the amount of Biology that meets the new addition is site specific.

I guess that if you were a fertiliser company and wanting to know how to define your product, - this would be fine, but in fact, it is very difficult to prolong a high level of biological activity in a closed bag on a shelf, - they get Hungry .

Not for a second saying that it can’t be done, and indeed I can imagine the Fertiliser buyers being absolutely Thrilled if their fertilser was Chock-a block with Biology, 

Hopefully feed providers and chemical providers wil wake up and behave locally.

G

On 15 Mar 2020, at 6:20 am, Tom Martwick via Groups.Io <wormer50@...> wrote:

This is a pic of some broccoli plants I am growing in 100% biochar.  This is biochar that I produce, then bury in worm casting (That I also produce myself).  The plants are doing well and looking very healthy.  
Tom Martwick
PurEarth Products
Phillips, Wi. 54555
<89547814_653921315438822_119261298960629760_n.jpg>


Jessica Lunsford
 

Chandra I would certainly be interested in your findings. Thank you.


On Mon, 16 Mar 2020, 06:43 CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL, <paulcs2017@...> wrote:
We are inoculating phosphate solubilizing fungus to biochar with a little bit of carbon source (glucose). If anyone interested please let me know.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:59 PM Mike Overby <mike.overby@...> wrote:

Does anyone know of tests of inoculated biochar of different types (side by side comparisons).  Bacterial dominated compost vs vermicompost…. mixed with biochar?

 

Regards,

Mike Overby, PE/CMC
575-377-4512

469-222-6455 – Cell

 

 

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stephen Joseph
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 4:15 PM
To: main@biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] experiment with biochar

 

the biochar is intimately mixed with worm castings so what percentage biochar and what percentage worm castings is in the pot?

 

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 7:45 AM Tom Martwick via Groups.Io <wormer50=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

This is a pic of some broccoli plants I am growing in 100% biochar.  This is biochar that I produce, then bury in worm casting (That I also produce myself).  The plants are doing well and looking very healthy.  

Tom Martwick

PurEarth Products

Phillips, Wi. 54555


CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL
 

Dear Jessica,
I am happy to know that you are interested in our project. I will send you the details and the result after the experiment.

Regards,
Paul

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 9:43 AM Jessica Lunsford <enviroagjess@...> wrote:
Chandra I would certainly be interested in your findings. Thank you.

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020, 06:43 CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL, <paulcs2017@...> wrote:
We are inoculating phosphate solubilizing fungus to biochar with a little bit of carbon source (glucose). If anyone interested please let me know.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:59 PM Mike Overby <mike.overby@...> wrote:

Does anyone know of tests of inoculated biochar of different types (side by side comparisons).  Bacterial dominated compost vs vermicompost…. mixed with biochar?

 

Regards,

Mike Overby, PE/CMC
575-377-4512

469-222-6455 – Cell

 

 

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stephen Joseph
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 4:15 PM
To: main@biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] experiment with biochar

 

the biochar is intimately mixed with worm castings so what percentage biochar and what percentage worm castings is in the pot?

 

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 7:45 AM Tom Martwick via Groups.Io <wormer50=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

This is a pic of some broccoli plants I am growing in 100% biochar.  This is biochar that I produce, then bury in worm casting (That I also produce myself).  The plants are doing well and looking very healthy.  

Tom Martwick

PurEarth Products

Phillips, Wi. 54555


Gerry Gillespie
 

Paul,

I too would be very interested in your results. Please send me a copy too when you are complete.

I have been making and using inoculants and hydrolysates and using them as biochar activators.

Regards
Gerry Gillespie

On 20 Mar 2020, at 1:07 pm, CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL <paulcs2017@...> wrote:

Dear Jessica,
I am happy to know that you are interested in our project. I will send you the details and the result after the experiment.

Regards,
Paul

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 9:43 AM Jessica Lunsford <enviroagjess@...> wrote:
Chandra I would certainly be interested in your findings. Thank you.

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020, 06:43 CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL, <paulcs2017@...> wrote:
We are inoculating phosphate solubilizing fungus to biochar with a little bit of carbon source (glucose). If anyone interested please let me know.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:59 PM Mike Overby <mike.overby@...> wrote:
Does anyone know of tests of inoculated biochar of different types (side by side comparisons).  Bacterial dominated compost vs vermicompost…. mixed with biochar?

 

Regards,

Mike Overby, PE/CMC
575-377-4512

469-222-6455 – Cell

 

 

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stephen Joseph
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 4:15 PM
To: main@biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] experiment with biochar

 

the biochar is intimately mixed with worm castings so what percentage biochar and what percentage worm castings is in the pot?

 

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 7:45 AM Tom Martwick via Groups.Io <wormer50@...> wrote:

This is a pic of some broccoli plants I am growing in 100% biochar.  This is biochar that I produce, then bury in worm casting (That I also produce myself).  The plants are doing well and looking very healthy.  

Tom Martwick

PurEarth Products

Phillips, Wi. 54555





Marcelo Alves
 

Good morning everyone

I am also interested in the results. I work with tropical, sandy and low natural fertility soils and I have started some research with biochar, I believe they can bring big gains. I'm even interested in research partnerships.

Thanks.

Prof. Dr. Marcelo R. Alves
Tel. 018 9 9826 9393
Unoeste - Presidente Prudente

De: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> em nome de Gerry Gillespie <gerry.b.gillespie@...>
Enviado: sexta-feira, 20 de março de 2020 00:39
Para: main@biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io>
Assunto: Re: [Biochar] experiment with biochar
 
Paul,

I too would be very interested in your results. Please send me a copy too when you are complete.

I have been making and using inoculants and hydrolysates and using them as biochar activators.

Regards
Gerry Gillespie

On 20 Mar 2020, at 1:07 pm, CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL <paulcs2017@...> wrote:

Dear Jessica,
I am happy to know that you are interested in our project. I will send you the details and the result after the experiment.

Regards,
Paul

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 9:43 AM Jessica Lunsford <enviroagjess@...> wrote:
Chandra I would certainly be interested in your findings. Thank you.

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020, 06:43 CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL, <paulcs2017@...> wrote:
We are inoculating phosphate solubilizing fungus to biochar with a little bit of carbon source (glucose). If anyone interested please let me know.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:59 PM Mike Overby <mike.overby@...> wrote:
Does anyone know of tests of inoculated biochar of different types (side by side comparisons).  Bacterial dominated compost vs vermicompost…. mixed with biochar?

 

Regards,

Mike Overby, PE/CMC
575-377-4512

469-222-6455 – Cell

 

 

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stephen Joseph
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 4:15 PM
To: main@biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] experiment with biochar

 

the biochar is intimately mixed with worm castings so what percentage biochar and what percentage worm castings is in the pot?

 

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 7:45 AM Tom Martwick via Groups.Io <wormer50@...> wrote:

This is a pic of some broccoli plants I am growing in 100% biochar.  This is biochar that I produce, then bury in worm casting (That I also produce myself).  The plants are doing well and looking very healthy.  

Tom Martwick

PurEarth Products

Phillips, Wi. 54555





CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL
 

Respected Members,
I am very happy to know that you are interested in my research work. It will provide motivation for my experimental work. We are trying to find out the phosphorus availability from biochar after the inoculation of some effective phosphate solubilizing fungi. We choose fungi (not bacteria) because generally fungi are fast-growing and some fungi can grow in a wide range of carbon sources. To be more realistic, we will also inoculate the fungi on soil biochar mixture. We hope this idea will work more efficiently and will increase phosphorus availability in the soil for plant uptake.

Be careful and stay safe.


Regards,

Paul Chandrasekhar

Doctoral Researcher


Faculty of Agrobiology, Food

and Natural Resources

Department of Agroenvironmental

Chemistry and Plant Nutrition

Office 47

Czech University of Life Sciences (CULS)

Kamýcká 129 165 00 Praha 6 - Suchdol

Prague, Czech Republic.


On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 5:31 PM Marcelo Alves <marceloalves@...> wrote:
Good morning everyone

I am also interested in the results. I work with tropical, sandy and low natural fertility soils and I have started some research with biochar, I believe they can bring big gains. I'm even interested in research partnerships.

Thanks.

Prof. Dr. Marcelo R. Alves
Tel. 018 9 9826 9393
Unoeste - Presidente Prudente

De: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> em nome de Gerry Gillespie <gerry.b.gillespie@...>
Enviado: sexta-feira, 20 de março de 2020 00:39
Para: main@biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io>
Assunto: Re: [Biochar] experiment with biochar
 
Paul,

I too would be very interested in your results. Please send me a copy too when you are complete.

I have been making and using inoculants and hydrolysates and using them as biochar activators.

Regards
Gerry Gillespie

On 20 Mar 2020, at 1:07 pm, CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL <paulcs2017@...> wrote:

Dear Jessica,
I am happy to know that you are interested in our project. I will send you the details and the result after the experiment.

Regards,
Paul

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 9:43 AM Jessica Lunsford <enviroagjess@...> wrote:
Chandra I would certainly be interested in your findings. Thank you.

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020, 06:43 CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL, <paulcs2017@...> wrote:
We are inoculating phosphate solubilizing fungus to biochar with a little bit of carbon source (glucose). If anyone interested please let me know.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:59 PM Mike Overby <mike.overby@...> wrote:
Does anyone know of tests of inoculated biochar of different types (side by side comparisons).  Bacterial dominated compost vs vermicompost…. mixed with biochar?

 

Regards,

Mike Overby, PE/CMC
575-377-4512

469-222-6455 – Cell

 

 

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stephen Joseph
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 4:15 PM
To: main@biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] experiment with biochar

 

the biochar is intimately mixed with worm castings so what percentage biochar and what percentage worm castings is in the pot?

 

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 7:45 AM Tom Martwick via Groups.Io <wormer50=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

This is a pic of some broccoli plants I am growing in 100% biochar.  This is biochar that I produce, then bury in worm casting (That I also produce myself).  The plants are doing well and looking very healthy.  

Tom Martwick

PurEarth Products

Phillips, Wi. 54555





mikethewormguy
 

Paul,

Have you done any work using bone char with your fungi.....?

Mike





Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone


mikethewormguy
 

Paul,

Are you doing any single species solid state fermentations using nutrient enriched biochar, as a solid substrate, for the fungi to grow onto and sporulate into....?

Have you considered feeding your fungi blend to earthworms to make a targeted worm castings....?

Mike








Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone


CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL
 

Dear Mike,
At the moment we are not using bone-char. We are using sewage sludge biochar only (different pyrolysis temperature). However, we also plan to do that also in the future. If you have any idea regarding the experiment please inform me. 

Thank you for your question. Be careful and stay safe.


Regards,

Paul Chandrasekhar

Doctoral Researcher


Faculty of Agrobiology, Food

and Natural Resources

Department of Agroenvironmental

Chemistry and Plant Nutrition

Czech University of Life Sciences (CULS)

Kamýcká 129 165 00 Praha 6 - Suchdol

Prague, Czech Republic.



On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 4:09 PM mikethewormguy via groups.io <mikethewormguy=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul,

Have you done any work using bone char with your fungi.....?

Mike





Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone


CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL
 

Dear Mike,
We are using biochar and a small amount of carbon source (glucose) in biochar media nad evaluating the phosphorus release from biochar media. The "blending of fungi with earthworms" is quite a new idea for us. can you please describe it in detail or any research articles?


Regards,

Paul Chandrasekhar

Doctoral Researcher


Faculty of Agrobiology, Food

and Natural Resources

Department of Agroenvironmental

Chemistry and Plant Nutrition

Czech University of Life Sciences (CULS)

Kamýcká 129 165 00 Praha 6 - Suchdol

Prague, Czech Republic.


On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 11:06 PM mikethewormguy via groups.io <mikethewormguy=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul,

Are you doing any single species solid state fermentations using nutrient enriched biochar, as a solid substrate, for the fungi to grow onto and sporulate into....?

Have you considered feeding your fungi blend to earthworms to make a targeted worm castings....?

Mike








Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone


mikethewormguy
 

Paul,

We would be happy to assist you with experimental designs, as appropriate and needed......

Mike



Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone


mikethewormguy
 

Paul,

We have direct fed spore powder from Trichoderma and Bacillus to earthworms in a bin to see what would happen....  The earthworms ate through the powder.

The original material that was used to make the spore powder was wheat bran.

Mike




Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone


CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL
 

Dear Mike,
Thank you very much for your support. The biochar field is en=merging and it will be very nice to construct new ideas and experimental plans to use biochar more efficiently. As I am only working on a lab-scale so it will be better to get new ideas to form you about the status from real field culture.

Regards,

Paul Chandrasekhar

Doctoral Researcher


Faculty of Agrobiology, Food

and Natural Resources

Department of Agroenvironmental

Chemistry and Plant Nutrition

Czech University of Life Sciences (CULS)

Kamycka 129 165 00 Prague 6 - Suchdol

Prague, Czech Republic.


On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 3:33 AM mikethewormguy via groups.io <mikethewormguy=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul,

We would be happy to assist you with experimental designs, as appropriate and needed......

Mike



Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone


CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL
 

Dear Mike,
As the media contains Trichoderma and Bacillus to earthworms then I think it will be a very good media because of the synergistic effect of the organisms. I am interested in your work. please inform me when it will be done.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Paul Chandrasekhar

Doctoral Researcher


Faculty of Agrobiology, Food

and Natural Resources

Department of Agroenvironmental

Chemistry and Plant Nutrition

Czech University of Life Sciences (CULS)

Kamycka 129 165 00 Prague 6 - Suchdol

Prague, Czech Republic.


On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 3:44 AM mikethewormguy via groups.io <mikethewormguy=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul,

We have direct fed spore powder from Trichoderma and Bacillus to earthworms in a bin to see what would happen....  The earthworms ate through the powder.

The original material that was used to make the spore powder was wheat bran.

Mike




Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone


Gustavo Peña
 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVYVJExWXFo 

Biochar group, see my new idea, is a very inexpensive ventilator, to help hospitals treat patients with COVID 19
Is not finished yet, I need an electronic device to reduce the speed between 10 and 20 rpm´s, the speed for each patient will depend on the Dr. judgment.


Best regards to all of you

Gustavo Peña
Inversiones Falcon
El Salvador, Centro América
Tel: (503) 2451 9605



El jue., 9 de abr. de 2020 a la(s) 04:00, CHANDRA SEKHAR PAUL (paulcs2017@...) escribió:
Dear Mike,
As the media contains Trichoderma and Bacillus to earthworms then I think it will be a very good media because of the synergistic effect of the organisms. I am interested in your work. please inform me when it will be done.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Paul Chandrasekhar

Doctoral Researcher


Faculty of Agrobiology, Food

and Natural Resources

Department of Agroenvironmental

Chemistry and Plant Nutrition

Czech University of Life Sciences (CULS)

Kamycka 129 165 00 Prague 6 - Suchdol

Prague, Czech Republic.


On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 3:44 AM mikethewormguy via groups.io <mikethewormguy=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul,

We have direct fed spore powder from Trichoderma and Bacillus to earthworms in a bin to see what would happen....  The earthworms ate through the powder.

The original material that was used to make the spore powder was wheat bran.

Mike




Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone