#carbonsequestration #CDR #ccs #CDR #blockchai #CDR #carbonsequestration #ccs #blockchai

Roger Faulkner

I have been wanting to write a paper on the potential for biochar in carbon capture and sequestration in which I use the carbon dioxide concentration block from the top of that a lion mountain Hawaiian boat where they've been measuring it for more than 50 years. That jigsaw watch shows very clearly that carbon dioxide levels decrease every summer and that can be quantified. Give some of that went matter which rocks every winter could be converted to biochar ... I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. I myself have ALS and it is difficult for me to do research but I am a chemical engineer and I would like to wait a paper on this and I'm looking for a co-author to help me.

Sorry about the transcription errors above I write these things with my voice and it is quite difficult for me to go back in and correct mistakes.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 9:09 PM, Kim Chaffee
<kim.chaffee2@...> wrote:
Thanks, Rob.  I subscribed to the free emails.
Kim

On Mar 25, 2020, at 8:26 PM, Robert Lehmert via Groups.Io <roblehmert@...> wrote:

I have discovered an interesting read if you are into "serious" carbon offsets (voluntary and compliance). Probably 2 people on this forum will enjoy this, but the depth of of this topic is growing like the Keeling Curve.  Here's the link to the weekly digest: www.carbon-pulse.com.

If you dig around on the site, you find some interesting bits on carbon taxes and legislation -- such as this tidbit:

HAWAII

The Hawaii Senate advanced a $40/tonne carbon tax bill this week, sending the proposal on for consideration in the House.

The state Senate approved SB-3150 by a 23-2 margin on a floor vote Tuesday, with one Democrat joining the upper chamber’s lone Republican in dissent.

The legislation would assign a CO2 tax equivalent to $40/tonne on fossil fuels in 2021, incrementally rising to $80/tonne by 2030. The exact rates on specific fuels will be set in conference with the House of Representatives.

In doing so, the proposal would alter Hawaii’s environmental response, energy, and food security tax, and it would make an Aloha State carbon levy the highest CO2 price in North America.

To help blunt the costs of the carbon price on low-income and middle-class residents, residents would receive a refundable tax credit.

A previous version of the bill allocated that credit to residents earning 60% or less of the state’s median income, but the iteration the House will now consider changed that rate to an unspecified amount.

The Hawaii 2020 legislative session ends May. 7. Democrats also command the House with a 46-5 grip over the GOP.

By Matt Lithgow – matt@...

Enjoy.

ROBERT W GILLETT

Roger,

My understanding of the jigsaw rise and fall of atmospheric CO2 is that the increase in vegetation growth in summer draws down the CO2 levels due to increased photosynthesis in the northern hemisphere where most of the vegetated and cultivated landmass exists. Your idea for a paper seems to focus on capturing and pyrolizing residual biomass to drive the downward leg of the jigsaw further downward. Would you like to elaborate on your approach?

Robert

Roger Faulkner

Yes, you do understand my idea. I would like to do some calculations about how much of that biomass that rots in the winter is from crop residues? Is there enough crop residues 2 stop the rise of carbon dioxide?

 It is clear from the curve itself that if we can capture all of that carbon and sequester 50% of it that we could stop the rise. But a lot of that is in places like savannas of Earth añd forest and I know I don't want to see those places turned into biochar farms. On the other hand existing firms could readily convert the crop residue to biochar if the price for carbon sequestration was high enough.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 6:27 AM, ROBERT W GILLETT
<themarvalus.wabio@...> wrote:
Roger,

My understanding of the jigsaw rise and fall of atmospheric CO2 is that the increase in vegetation growth in summer draws down the CO2 levels due to increased photosynthesis in the northern hemisphere where most of the vegetated and cultivated landmass exists. Your idea for a paper seems to focus on capturing and pyrolizing residual biomass to drive the downward leg of the jigsaw further downward. Would you like to elaborate on your approach?

Robert

Frank Strie

Just think of all the degraded land around the world due to open cut mining activities and or past forest mining / clearfell operations.
Here in Australia we have plenty of space to regenerate/ regreen/ restore  the landscape and build humus in the old soils.
By exploring geology and geography and history of what the site / area could grow again with some human “assistance”/ intervention / investment in close to nature forest management practices (ProSilva = For the Forest style), moist, wet rainforest vegetation could be replanted and seeded in the shelter of short lived pioneer species. The consequence is improved hydrology and nutrient management, soil fertility and productivity and not least optimised carbon sequestration from all green plants.
The objective is to support / foster healthy landscapes with low or reduced flammability risk.
Intensive, intergenerational management strategies can be established via discussion, information sharing
We shall see
Frank

ProSilva Forester & Char Master