Topics

Impacting the seasonal Keeling curve RE: [Biochar] #CDR #carbonsequestration #ccs #blockchai

Paul S Anderson

Roger,     (I am sending this message also to the CDR listserv where there might be further discussion – see prior messages below mine.)

Sorry, I changed the Subject line to express the direction of the topic.

Please include me in your “study group” (or whatever name might apply).   I have a few contributions regarding biochar production from seasonal crop residue.

Regarding Robert’s statement:   

“capturing and pyrolizing residual biomass to drive the downward leg of the jigsaw further downward.”

I think a more clear wording would be:

capturing and pyrolyzing seasonal residual biomass to reduce the rise of the upward leg so that the next year’s downward leg (which would be the same annual amount of CO2 removal by photosynthesis) will extend slightly lower than the previous year (except that the current annual net positive rise from fossil fuels overwhelms the impact of the biochar production from the seasonal residual biomass). 

If successful (and if other climate-friendly CO2 reductions and  removals can do their part), the “sawtooth” line would eventually become a horizontal sawtooth and would eventually “curve” downward when net world CO2 drawdown occurs.

For visually communicating our message of CDR and biochar as sequestration, perhaps a HIGHLY magnified segment of three sawtooths could be graphically displayed with the “contributing factors” labeled.  Factors would include “total annual seasonal biomass refuse” and the target of “seasonal biomass refuse reasonably eligible to become biochar”.    And within that latter amount, something like “crop residues currently burned in fields, producing polluting smoke and health hazards, such as in India and in northern Thailand”.  

[Unfortunately, anyone older than 40 might never see the downward curve on the world-wide Keeling curve.] 

Stay safe and healthy!!!

Paul

Doc / Dr TLUD / Paul S. Anderson, PhD --- Website:   www.drtlud.com

Email:  psanders@...       Skype:   paultlud

Phone:  Office: 309-452-7072    Mobile & WhatsApp: 309-531-4434

Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP

Go to: www.JuntosNFP.org  to support woodgas (TLUD) projects

incl. purchase of Woodgas Emission Reduction (WER) carbon credits

and please tell you friends about these distinctive service efforts.

Author of “A Capitalist Carol” (free digital copies at www.capitalism21.org)

with pages 88 – 94 about  solving the world crisis for clean cookstoves.

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Roger Faulkner via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2020 5:55 AM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] #carbonsequestration #CDR #ccs #CDR #blockchai

[This message came from an external source. If suspicious, report to abuse@...]

Yes, you do understand my idea. I would like to do some calculations about how much of that biomass that rots in the winter is from crop residues? Is there enough crop residues 2 stop the rise of carbon dioxide?

It is clear from the curve itself that if we can capture all of that carbon and sequester 50% of it that we could stop the rise. But a lot of that is in places like savannas of Earth añd forest and I know I don't want to see those places turned into biochar farms. On the other hand existing firms could readily convert the crop residue to biochar if the price for carbon sequestration was high enough.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 6:27 AM, ROBERT W GILLETT

Roger, 

My understanding of the jigsaw rise and fall of atmospheric CO2 is that the increase in vegetation growth in summer draws down the CO2 levels due to increased photosynthesis in the northern hemisphere where most of the vegetated and cultivated landmass exists. Your idea for a paper seems to focus on capturing and pyrolizing residual biomass to drive the downward leg of the jigsaw further downward. Would you like to elaborate on your approach?

Robert 

Tomaso Bertoli - CISV

I have worked out this slide to visualize the annual cycle of CO2

I think it’s important because it gives us the scale of the “vegetation” factor through seasons

The base chart and the underlaying data comes from

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-atmospheric-carbon-dioxide

T

Da: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> Per conto di Paul S Anderson
Inviato: venerdì 27 marzo 2020 14:32
A: main@Biochar.groups.io; carbondioxideremoval@...
Cc: Anderson, Paul <psanders@...>
Oggetto: Impacting the seasonal Keeling curve RE: [Biochar] #carbonsequestration #CDR #ccs #CDR #blockchai

Roger,     (I am sending this message also to the CDR listserv where there might be further discussion – see prior messages below mine.)

Please include me in your “study group” (or whatever name might apply).   I have a few contributions regarding biochar production from seasonal crop residue.

“capturing and pyrolizing residual biomass to drive the downward leg of the jigsaw further downward.”

capturing and pyrolyzing seasonal residual biomass to reduce the rise of the upward leg so that the next year’s downward leg (which would be the same annual amount of CO2 removal by photosynthesis) will extend slightly lower than the previous year (except that the current annual net positive rise from fossil fuels overwhelms the impact of the biochar production from the seasonal residual biomass). 

If successful (and if other climate-friendly CO2 reductions and  removals can do their part), the “sawtooth” line would eventually become a horizontal sawtooth and would eventually “curve” downward when net world CO2 drawdown occurs.

For visually communicating our message of CDR and biochar as sequestration, perhaps a HIGHLY magnified segment of three sawtooths could be graphically displayed with the “contributing factors” labeled.  Factors would include “total annual seasonal biomass refuse” and the target of “seasonal biomass refuse reasonably eligible to become biochar”.    And within that latter amount, something like “crop residues currently burned in fields, producing polluting smoke and health hazards, such as in India and in northern Thailand”.  

[Unfortunately, anyone older than 40 might never see the downward curve on the world-wide Keeling curve.] 

Stay safe and healthy!!!

Paul

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Roger Faulkner via Groups.Io

Yes, you do understand my idea. I would like to do some calculations about how much of that biomass that rots in the winter is from crop residues? Is there enough crop residues 2 stop the rise of carbon dioxide?

It is clear from the curve itself that if we can capture all of that carbon and sequester 50% of it that we could stop the rise. But a lot of that is in places like savannas of Earth añd forest and I know I don't want to see those places turned into biochar farms. On the other hand existing firms could readily convert the crop residue to biochar if the price for carbon sequestration was high enough.

Roger, 

My understanding of the jigsaw rise and fall of atmospheric CO2 is that the increase in vegetation growth in summer draws down the CO2 levels due to increased photosynthesis in the northern hemisphere where most of the vegetated and cultivated landmass exists. Your idea for a paper seems to focus on capturing and pyrolizing residual biomass to drive the downward leg of the jigsaw further downward. Would you like to elaborate on your approach?

Robert 

Mark Ludlow

Very useful links! Thank you!
Mark

From: main@biochar.groups.io on behalf of Tomaso Bertoli - CISV <tomaso.bertoli@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 9:00 AM
To: main@biochar.groups.io; carbondioxideremoval@...
Subject: Re: Impacting the seasonal Keeling curve RE: [Biochar] #carbonsequestration #CDR #ccs #CDR #blockchai

I have worked out this slide to visualize the annual cycle of CO2

I think it’s important because it gives us the scale of the “vegetation” factor through seasons

The base chart and the underlaying data comes from

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-atmospheric-carbon-dioxide

T

Da: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> Per conto di Paul S Anderson
Inviato: venerdì 27 marzo 2020 14:32
A: main@Biochar.groups.io; carbondioxideremoval@...
Cc: Anderson, Paul <psanders@...>
Oggetto: Impacting the seasonal Keeling curve RE: [Biochar] #carbonsequestration #CDR #ccs #CDR #blockchai

Stay safe and healthy!!!

Paul

Roger, 

Robert