Topics

Why we should feed cows charcoal: BBC Future #feed

Kim Chaffee

All,

Not sure if I already posted this piece a couple of months ago, but it’s worth a read.  SW Australian farmer Doug Pow adds biochar to his cattle feed.
Not only do cattle fed biochar emit 10-18% less methane, their manure fertilizes the pastures.  On Pow’s farm, dung beetles bury the biochar-laden manure from the cow patties, adding carbon to the soil, providing a home for beneficial microbes, and improving the soil’s water-holding capacity.

Stephen Joseph assisted Pow with trials on the effectiveness of the dung beetles in burying the biochar, fertilized with manure.  Claudia Kammann is quoted in the article.

Kim

Why we should feed cows charcoal

An ancient remedy could cut cows' prodigious methane emissions

Read in BBC Future: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200206-can-charcoal-cut-cows-methane-to-fight-climate-change

Shared from Apple News

Geoff Thomas

Thanks Kim, quite a number of us on this site have been working on this one, Stephen often posts, others of us are working on different aspects.
Myself, just recently, I am experimenting, - after acquiring a pyramid style charcoal kiln, (Ta Kelpie) and making lots of charcoal and mixing all sorts of things in it and rotary hoeing it into many beds, and observing great results, :- with feeding my Dog  charcoal, - the which I won’t go into it here as I have told everybody already, but I beleve I am reducing his carnivorous foul farts to almost nothing, - considerably more than 18% - although don’t know what proportion of his farts are methane, - although they are dreadful, - with a careful 3 or 4 teaspoon fulls of charcoal in his dinner.

Ultimately I suspect we will all have to consume a certain amount of charcoal to be healthier and to help put the carbon back in the soil.

Cheers,
Geoff Thomas.

PS, I like the small is beautiful do it your self way but respect others.