Topics

Biochar increases soil organic carbon, avocado yields and economic return over 4 years of cultivation #avocado

Tom Miles

Free access until May 20, 2020:

Australia: Biochar increases soil organic carbon, avocado yields and economic return over 4 years of cultivation

The results of wood biochar effects on avocado growth, fruit production and economic benefit are presented.

Biochar significantly improved growth of avocado plants, fruit yield, and soil carbon relative to the control over the seasons.

The net benefit per hectare would amount to US$8,581, or US$105 per metric tonne of biochar applied.

https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1aq%7EOB8ccoCBr

Tom Miles

International Biochar Initiative

Biochar-international.org

Logo160.

Rick Wilson

Thanks for sending this through, great piece of work!

On Apr 7, 2020, at 8:45 AM, Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

Free access until May 20, 2020:

Australia: Biochar increases soil organic carbon, avocado yields and economic return over 4 years of cultivation

The results of wood biochar effects on avocado growth, fruit production and economic benefit are presented.

Biochar significantly improved growth of avocado plants, fruit yield, and soil carbon relative to the control over the seasons.

The net benefit per hectare would amount to US$8,581, or US$105 per metric tonne of biochar applied.

Tom Miles
International Biochar Initiative
<image001.jpg>

Tom Miles

All courtesy of the authors. : - )

Tom

Thanks for sending this through, great piece of work!

On Apr 7, 2020, at 8:45 AM, Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

Free access until May 20, 2020:

Australia: Biochar increases soil organic carbon, avocado yields and economic return over 4 years of cultivation

The results of wood biochar effects on avocado growth, fruit production and economic benefit are presented.

Biochar significantly improved growth of avocado plants, fruit yield, and soil carbon relative to the control over the seasons.

The net benefit per hectare would amount to US$8,581, or US$105 per metric tonne of biochar applied.

Tom Miles

International Biochar Initiative

<image001.jpg>

Eli Fishpaw

I scanned the report.  Very impressive with their method.  Often people quote the percentage of biochar volume in the soil and forget to say at what depth.  On page two, this reports sites a machine intensive excavation to 600mm.  WOW! Almost 24 inches.  The volume of char based on 500 mm depth (almost 20").  It seems to me like the digging itself would be very disruptive to soil ecosystem.  Achieving the 20% char at that depth is a huge volume required.  Maybe this was because these were trees with deep tap roots.  However, my understanding is the most of trees nutrient uptake comes from lateral roots near the surface.  Adopting a no til approach to my gardening, I look for ways the micro and macro organisms the deliver penetration of char such as a earthworm with char in it's gut following cover crop root deep into the soil.  Dung beetles have been mentioned on list for doing this.  I am wondering if their cost analysis included the energy intensive method of excavating to 20" depth.  Under "Economic Analysis" on page four, "Expenses included in the analysis were biochar purchase, biochar transport and biochar application."

Eli

Australia: Biochar increases soil organic carbon, avocado yields and economic return over 4 years of cultivation

The results of wood biochar effects on avocado growth, fruit production and economic benefit are presented.

Biochar significantly improved growth of avocado plants, fruit yield, and soil carbon relative to the control over the seasons.

The net benefit per hectare would amount to US$8,581, or US$105 per metric tonne of biochar applied.

https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1aq%7EOB8ccoCBr

Tom Miles

International Biochar Initiative

Biochar-international.org

Stephen Joseph

Yes it included the cost of excavating.
I am including Doug in his email as he is the one to answer your question in detail.
He has been feeding biochar to cows and introducing doung beetles onto the same property (where the avocado trees are grown).
You can read the results of the early work  at