Topics

Urine/Biochar Fertilizer in Malawi #malawi #urine #seed

Kevin McLean

I'd like to welcome Goodfellow Phiri to this group.  Goodfellow is the president of Environmental Industries in Malawi which sells aged urine as fertilizer.   This article about his "magic liquid" was recently posted.

It has been suggested that biochar could improve his urine fertilizer.  Goodfellow is interested in this idea and would like your thoughts.

If this combination is effective, it could have tremendous potential as all subsistence farmers have urine and almost all have access to charcoal.

mikethewormguy

Kevin,

Wood biochar could help make the application of the aged urine fertilizer more effective.

Biochar can be added to the planting hole and top dressed around the plant.

Have you done any seed priming with the aged urine.....?    This is an effective way to use fertility in a targeted way.  It is also a way to improve Nutrient Use Efficiency by needing less fertilizer to get a crop out.  One additional benefit to pre-germinating seeds is that you will have 100% return on the seeds planted.

Environmental Industries <licusociety@...>

Dear Mike,

Thank  you for the wonderful on possible applications of urine fertilizer. Indeed I have used wood ash in a compost manure as basal dressing for maize and later on I applied urine fertilizer as top dressing. I tell, we have realised a mpumper harvest this season, more so than ever before.

However. I have never used seed priming with the urine fertilizer. It looks a more viable application and many farmers can love it. I will try it this year. I don't know: how long should the seeds should be soaked in the urine?

Thank you for your practical guide on possibilities with urine fertilizer. Let's continue brainstorming. I am impressed.

Your colleague,

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020, 4:12 PM mikethewormguy via groups.io <mikethewormguy=aol.com@groups.io wrote:
Kevin,

Wood biochar could help make the application of the aged urine fertilizer more effective.

Biochar can be added to the planting hole and top dressed around the plant.

Have you done any seed priming with the aged urine.....?    This is an effective way to use fertility in a targeted way.  It is also a way to improve Nutrient Use Efficiency by needing less fertilizer to get a crop out.  One additional benefit to pre-germinating seeds is that you will have 100% return on the seeds planted.

John Hofmeyr

M. Phiri, my email to info@... remains undeliverable after a few days. Please check your spam filter or mailbox full?
Or please send a message to me : lanstar@...

John Hofmeyr

Email addresses seem truncated.
info(at)environmentalindustries.com
lanstar(at) global.co.za

Valentine Nzengung

I thought the addition of urine to biochar to enhance soil fertility was obvious. Therefore, I have applied it without regards for a study.

Valentine A. Nzengung, PhD
College Arts & Science
Professor Environmental Geochemistry, National Academy of Inventors ( NAI) Fellow

Geology Department
Athens, GA 30602-5026

p: 706-202-4296
e: vnzengun@...
w: https://geology.uga.edu/directory/people/valentine-nzengung

University of Georgia
Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn Youtube Snapchat

I'd like to welcome Goodfellow Phiri to this group.  Goodfellow is the president of Environmental Industries in Malawi which sells aged urine as fertilizer.   This article about his "magic liquid" was recently posted.

It has been suggested that biochar could improve his urine fertilizer.  Goodfellow is interested in this idea and would like your thoughts.

If this combination is effective, it could have tremendous potential as all subsistence farmers have urine and almost all have access to charcoal.

Kim Chaffee

Thank you, Kevin, for introducing Goodfellow to our worldwide biochar group.

Welcome, Goodfellow!  This worldwide group of several thousand biochar enthusiasts includes many who have a lot of experience combining urine (from livestock and/or humans), with biochar.  I am sure they would be happy to share their knowledge and practices with you.  Thank you for the wonderful work you are doing to help the farmers of Malawi improve their agricultural soils and thereby grow more healthy crops for Malawi’s people.

Kim Chaffee
Richmond, Virginia USA

On Apr 10, 2020, at 12:50 AM, Kevin McLean <info@...> wrote:

I'd like to welcome Goodfellow Phiri to this group.  Goodfellow is the president of Environmental Industries in Malawi which sells aged urine as fertilizer.   This article about his "magic liquid" was recently posted.

It has been suggested that biochar could improve his urine fertilizer.  Goodfellow is interested in this idea and would like your thoughts.

If this combination is effective, it could have tremendous potential as all subsistence farmers have urine and almost all have access to charcoal.

mikethewormguy

Here is some general guidance on seed priming....

1. Pick a big seed, like corn, to start with.

2. You want to soak the seed for at least 8 hours to get the soaking liquid into the seed matrix.

3. Use 4 volumes of soaking liquid to one volume of seed.

4. Stir the seed solution hourly to keep the solution aerated.

5. Make 3 dilutions ( 100, 500, 1000) of the aged urine to create 3 seed soaking solutions.

6. After the 8 hour soak filter the seed out of the soaking solution.

7. Plan on planting the seed the next day. So air dry the seed in a cool shady place by spreading the seed on a flat surface.

Would your farmers typically direct seed the corn or create transplants ?   I like to create corn transplants because than I can put a strong plant in the grown.

You can contact me directly at mikethewormguy@... if you have further questions on this topic........

Kevin McLean

Goodfellow has men collecting their urine in 20l containers. Will char in those containers keep the urine from smelling?

Kevin Chisholm

Hi Kevin Mc

I personally did such an experiment, using “gasifier biochar”, made from wood pellets. I used about 8 litres of such biochar in an 11 litre container, and flooded it with aged human urine. There was absolutely no smell from the urine when I checked again in about a week. The liquid was perfectly clear, and looked just like fresh water.

Best Wishes,

Kevin C