Topics

Urine/Biochar Fertilizer in Malawi #malawi #urine #seed

Kevin McLean

I'd like to welcome Goodfellow Phiri to this group.  Goodfellow is the president of Environmental Industries in Malawi which sells aged urine as fertilizer.   This article about his "magic liquid" was recently posted.

It has been suggested that biochar could improve his urine fertilizer.  Goodfellow is interested in this idea and would like your thoughts.

If this combination is effective, it could have tremendous potential as all subsistence farmers have urine and almost all have access to charcoal.

mikethewormguy

Kevin,

Wood biochar could help make the application of the aged urine fertilizer more effective.

Biochar can be added to the planting hole and top dressed around the plant.

Have you done any seed priming with the aged urine.....?    This is an effective way to use fertility in a targeted way.  It is also a way to improve Nutrient Use Efficiency by needing less fertilizer to get a crop out.  One additional benefit to pre-germinating seeds is that you will have 100% return on the seeds planted.

Mike

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Environmental Industries <licusociety@...>

Dear Mike,

Thank  you for the wonderful on possible applications of urine fertilizer. Indeed I have used wood ash in a compost manure as basal dressing for maize and later on I applied urine fertilizer as top dressing. I tell, we have realised a mpumper harvest this season, more so than ever before. 

However. I have never used seed priming with the urine fertilizer. It looks a more viable application and many farmers can love it. I will try it this year. I don't know: how long should the seeds should be soaked in the urine?

Thank you for your practical guide on possibilities with urine fertilizer. Let's continue brainstorming. I am impressed.

Your colleague,

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020, 4:12 PM mikethewormguy via groups.io <mikethewormguy=aol.com@groups.io wrote:
Kevin,

Wood biochar could help make the application of the aged urine fertilizer more effective.

Biochar can be added to the planting hole and top dressed around the plant.

Have you done any seed priming with the aged urine.....?    This is an effective way to use fertility in a targeted way.  It is also a way to improve Nutrient Use Efficiency by needing less fertilizer to get a crop out.  One additional benefit to pre-germinating seeds is that you will have 100% return on the seeds planted.

Mike

John Hofmeyr

M. Phiri, my email to info@... remains undeliverable after a few days. Please check your spam filter or mailbox full?
Or please send a message to me : lanstar@...

John Hofmeyr

Email addresses seem truncated.
info(at)environmentalindustries.com
lanstar(at) global.co.za

Valentine Nzengung

I thought the addition of urine to biochar to enhance soil fertility was obvious. Therefore, I have applied it without regards for a study.

Valentine A. Nzengung, PhD
College Arts & Science
Professor Environmental Geochemistry, National Academy of Inventors ( NAI) Fellow

Geology Department
Athens, GA 30602-5026

p: 706-202-4296
e: vnzengun@...
w: https://geology.uga.edu/directory/people/valentine-nzengung

University of Georgia
Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn Youtube Snapchat

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> on behalf of Kevin McLean via groups.io <info@...>
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 12:50 AM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io>
Subject: [Biochar] Urine/Biochar Fertilizer in Malawi

[EXTERNAL SENDER - PROCEED CAUTIOUSLY]

I'd like to welcome Goodfellow Phiri to this group.  Goodfellow is the president of Environmental Industries in Malawi which sells aged urine as fertilizer.   This article about his "magic liquid" was recently posted.

It has been suggested that biochar could improve his urine fertilizer.  Goodfellow is interested in this idea and would like your thoughts.

If this combination is effective, it could have tremendous potential as all subsistence farmers have urine and almost all have access to charcoal.

Kim Chaffee

Thank you, Kevin, for introducing Goodfellow to our worldwide biochar group.  

Welcome, Goodfellow!  This worldwide group of several thousand biochar enthusiasts includes many who have a lot of experience combining urine (from livestock and/or humans), with biochar.  I am sure they would be happy to share their knowledge and practices with you.  Thank you for the wonderful work you are doing to help the farmers of Malawi improve their agricultural soils and thereby grow more healthy crops for Malawi’s people.

Kim Chaffee
Richmond, Virginia USA 

On Apr 10, 2020, at 12:50 AM, Kevin McLean <info@...> wrote:

mikethewormguy

Here is some general guidance on seed priming....

1. Pick a big seed, like corn, to start with.

2. You want to soak the seed for at least 8 hours to get the soaking liquid into the seed matrix.

3. Use 4 volumes of soaking liquid to one volume of seed.

4. Stir the seed solution hourly to keep the solution aerated.

5. Make 3 dilutions ( 100, 500, 1000) of the aged urine to create 3 seed soaking solutions.

6. After the 8 hour soak filter the seed out of the soaking solution.

7. Plan on planting the seed the next day. So air dry the seed in a cool shady place by spreading the seed on a flat surface.

Would your farmers typically direct seed the corn or create transplants ?   I like to create corn transplants because than I can put a strong plant in the grown.

You can contact me directly at mikethewormguy@... if you have further questions on this topic........

Mike

Kevin McLean

Goodfellow has men collecting their urine in 20l containers. Will char in those containers keep the urine from smelling?

Kevin Chisholm

Hi Kevin Mc

I personally did such an experiment, using “gasifier biochar”, made from wood pellets. I used about 8 litres of such biochar in an 11 litre container, and flooded it with aged human urine. There was absolutely no smell from the urine when I checked again in about a week. The liquid was perfectly clear, and looked just like fresh water.

Best Wishes,

Kevin C

From: main@Biochar.groups.io [mailto:main@Biochar.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin McLean
Sent: April 11, 2020 10:48 AM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] Urine/Biochar Fertilizer in Malawi #malawi #urine #seed

Goodfellow has men collecting their urine in 20l containers. Will char in those containers keep the urine from smelling?

Kevin McLean

Thanks, Kevin C.

It seems that this would make urine collection less objectionable while making the fertilizer better.

Tom Miles

From a recent US study:

Consumers’ Acceptance of Agricultural Fertilizers Derived from Diverted and Recycled Human Urine

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.0c00576

Nitrogen and phosphorus are essential ingredients in fertilizers used to produce food. Novel methods are emerging for more efficiently sourcing these nutrients, one of which is to recover them from recycled human urine; once recovered, N and P can be redirected to fertilizer production. While the technology for creating human urine-derived fertilizer (HUDF) exists, implementing it at scale will depend on public acceptance. Thus, this study examined U.S. consumers’ acceptance of HUDF across a range of applications and, in comparison, to other fertilizer types. Data were collected from a representative national sample, and analyses of variance with post-hoc comparisons were conducted to compare across fertilizer applications and types. A hierarchical regression was conducted to assess if demographics, psychological variables, and value orientations predict HUDF acceptance. Results suggest that HUDF and biosolid-based fertilizers are equally preferred and more strongly preferred than synthetic fertilizers. HUDF is not preferred as strongly as organic fertilizers. HUDF was deemed most acceptable when used on nonedible plants and least acceptable when used on crops for human consumption. Regression analysis revealed that judgments about risks and benefits were the strongest predictors of acceptance of UDF use. These results are promising for sanitation practitioners and regulators among others.

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin McLean
Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2020 7:40 AM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Biochar] Urine/Biochar Fertilizer in Malawi #malawi #urine #seed

Thanks, Kevin C.

It seems that this would make urine collection less objectionable while making the fertilizer better.

Dear all,

The urine collected is quarantined in airtight containers for at least 7 days. During that time, the urine under goes chemical changes from being acidic to being alkaline in state. That way the bad smell is eliminated. So the urine doesn't require Biochar to have its bad smell eliminated.

However, I wondering whether or not the blending of urine and biochar would make biochar a more fertile fertilizer. I am yet to try it out.

Regards,

Goodfellow Phiri.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020, 3:47 PM Kevin McLean <info@... wrote:

Kevin McLean

Dear Goodfellow,

How are your customers instructed to apply your fertilizer?

Kevin

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 2:10 PM Environmental Industries <licusociety@...> wrote:
Dear all,

The urine collected is quarantined in airtight containers for at least 7 days. During that time, the urine under goes chemical changes from being acidic to being alkaline in state. That way the bad smell is eliminated. So the urine doesn't require Biochar to have its bad smell eliminated.

However, I wondering whether or not the blending of urine and biochar would make biochar a more fertile fertilizer. I am yet to try it out.

Regards,

Goodfellow Phiri.

Dear Kevin,

When farmers buy my Bionitrate fertilizer (trade for my urine fertilizer), we support them with either a user manual or practical training on the application. That way, they are able to follow the right instructions.

Thank you.

Goodfellow Phiri.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020, 8:38 PM Kevin McLean <info@... wrote:
Dear Goodfellow,

How are your customers instructed to apply your fertilizer?

Kevin

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 2:10 PM Environmental Industries <licusociety@...> wrote:
Dear all,

Regards,

Goodfellow Phiri.

Kevin McLean

Thank you for all of the ideas.  Please keep them coming.

I'm still unsure how to incorporate biochar.  I hope we can develop a model quickly.  

In the meantime, my colleague/farmer in Uganda is going to apply urine (only) to a test section of his farm with emerged maize.  He will apply in the simple way demonstrated in this video.  He will section an area like in the video at 2:45.

Hussein, do you have access to a farm that you can also test in?

Norm, do you know what urine chemicals are absorbed by the biochar and what remains in the liquid?  The primary fertilizing chemicals in urine are nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium (NPK).  Does the liquid retain any NPK?  Can the activated biochar be allowed to dry to ease application?  Mixing the biochar into the soil is best but is simple top dressing (sowing) still effective?

mikethewormguy

Kevin,

Assuming a target application of 133kg N / ha and that my math is correct......

1/2 cup of 10% urine liquid would need to be applied to each corn plant per each application event. ..

This application volume would provide the plant with. ...

100mg of N
8mg of P
24 mg of K

4 application events would be needed during the grow cycle.

I am also assuming that each corn plant resides within a square foot area. 

I would like to hear how the above calculations sych with Goodfellow's practical experience and expertise.

my 2 cents.....

Mike

mikethewormguy

Goodfellow,

Do you think that there is less animal activity around the corn plants due to human urine smell acting as a repellent........?

Mike

mikethewormguy

Kevin,

Another way to look at the 1/2 cup of 10% urine recommendation per plant from a fertilizer perspective is you are applying 1/2 cup of liquid with a NPK concentration of around 800ppm of N, 60ppm of P, and 200ppm of K.

Looking at the diluted urine from this perspective than one could experiment with corn seed priming using a 5% and 10% diluted urine solution, as the priming liquid.

my 2 cents,

Mike

Dear Mike,
Your calculated rate of application augers well with mine. We do dilute urine with water at 1:10. Then we drill holes around the plant and apply 300 milliliters per planting station. Indeed we apply 2-3 times per crop lifespan. This for corn. The rates vary according to crop.

However, if you apply compost manure as basal dressing, applying urine fertilizer once or twice is enough. Apply at 14 days interval. 

Re: Goodfellow Phiri.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020, 8:52 PM mikethewormguy via groups.io <mikethewormguy=aol.com@groups.io wrote:
Kevin,

Assuming a target application of 133kg N / ha and that my math is correct......

1/2 cup of 10% urine liquid would need to be applied to each corn plant per each application event. ..

This application volume would provide the plant with. ...

100mg of N
8mg of P
24 mg of K

4 application events would be needed during the grow cycle.

I am also assuming that each corn plant resides within a square foot area. 

I would like to hear how the above calculations sych with Goodfellow's practical experience and expertise.

my 2 cents.....

Mike