4 per 1000 - North American regional meeting #CDR #conference #carbonsink #carbonsequestration #sequestration

Trevor Richards

I've not found reference to biochar on the 4per1000 website but I do note that Debbie Reed (past IBI leader) is listed as a speaker.

Here is a link to the regional meeting website, scheduled for 11th to 15th May (zoom - free signup).
Maybe they need to hear from biochar proponents.

Jessica Lunsford

4 per 1000 does not reference biochar but here in NZ a paper was written around carbon sequestration which also mentioned biochar. I'm fairly certain you are aware of that one Trevor, first author is David Whitehead.

On Fri, 24 Apr 2020, 19:10 Trevor Richards, <trevor@...> wrote:
I've not found reference to biochar on the 4per1000 website but I do note that Debbie Reed (past IBI leader) is listed as a speaker.

Here is a link to the regional meeting website, scheduled for 11th to 15th May (zoom - free signup).
Maybe they need to hear from biochar proponents.

Ron Larson

Trevor and list:

Thanks for this alert.

The series has a strong emphasis on Canada (bi-lingual).  But also labeled as North American.  The moderator is the head of 4p1000:  Dr.  Paul Luu (French).  Supposed to be plenty of chances for dialog after talks in the 5 sessions of 1.5 hours each.

Biochar fits beautifully into the 4p1000 program - but they apparently don’t know that.

Ron

On Apr 24, 2020, at 1:10 AM, Trevor Richards <trevor@...> wrote:

I've not found reference to biochar on the 4per1000 website but I do note that Debbie Reed (past IBI leader) is listed as a speaker.

Here is a link to the regional meeting website, scheduled for 11th to 15th May (zoom - free signup).
Maybe they need to hear from biochar proponents.

Benoit Lambert

Dear Ron, list,

As I describe in my blog 20 on November 1 2018, there is vested interests in carbon offsets and credits. The European Union has partly used CDM and JI credits to obtains its 30% reduction within the Kyoto protocol framework. In most countries, offsets are a small part of reaching targets — every offset bought is money a country sends abroad... In most countries it might have been 5% of their reductions, up to 50% in very small countries.

Among bio-sourced climate solutions, France is interested in agriculture, including animal husbandry. Finland by forestry and trees. This explains why it took long to get an agreement for nature-based carbon sinks. 27 countries, with 27 views. NGOs feared it would reduce pressure for an energy transition, etc.

I mentioned biochar to Dr Paul Luu at the FAO and to minister Stéphane Le Föll at Regenerative Canada meeting in Montreal in 2017. They heard about biochar, at least from me. Hans-Peter Schmidt, Claudia Kammann, Bruno Glaser and others make a good job at promoting biochar in Europe. It should be part of 4per1000 toolbox sooner than later, especially now that it is in two of three IPCC special reports, the 1.5°C and the one on land restoration.

Best,

Benoit

Le 24 avr. 2020 à 09:09, Ron Larson via groups.io <rongretlarson@...> a écrit :

Trevor and list:

Thanks for this alert.

The series has a strong emphasis on Canada (bi-lingual).  But also labeled as North American.  The moderator is the head of 4p1000:  Dr.  Paul Luu (French).  Supposed to be plenty of chances for dialog after talks in the 5 sessions of 1.5 hours each.

Biochar fits beautifully into the 4p1000 program - but they apparently don’t know that.

Ron

On Apr 24, 2020, at 1:10 AM, Trevor Richards <trevor@...> wrote:

I've not found reference to biochar on the 4per1000 website but I do note that Debbie Reed (past IBI leader) is listed as a speaker.

Here is a link to the regional meeting website, scheduled for 11th to 15th May (zoom - free signup).
Maybe they need to hear from biochar proponents.

Tom Miles

IBI has been an active member and supporter of 4 per 1000 initiative since it was launched in 2015/2016. IBI is represented at 4 per 1000 by Guy Reinaud, president of Pronatura International in Paris and Dr. Johannes Lehmann at Cornell Univesity. IBI actively supported 4 per 1000 events at COP 24 (2018, Poland) and COP 25 (2019, Spain).

Debbie Reed was executive director of IBI from its inception in 2008 until 2015 when she left to direct the Coalition on Agricultural Greenhouse Gases (C-Agg). C-Agg ended in March 2020. Debbie is now directs the newly created Ecosystem Services Market Consortium (ESMC). The concept of ESMC was introduced in a webinar last year in which models were presented. At the time it was stated that there were pilot ecosystem services contracts in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. The effort was initiated by an industry group that advocates anaerobic digestion of diary manure as an ecosystem service. How the “service” would be contracted and who would pay for the conversion was not clear at the time.

“The goal of the Ecosystem Services Market Consortium (ESMC) is to launch a fully functioning national scale ecosystem services market conceived and designed to sell both carbon and water quality and quantity credits for the agriculture sector by 2022." https://ecosystemservicesmarket.org/

Biochar fits the definition of “ecosystem services” adopted by my state of Oregon in 2010: Ecosystem services market is “a system in which providers of ecosystem services can access financing to protect, restore and maintain ecological values, including the full spectrum of regulatory, quasi-regulatory, and voluntary markets.”  As with biochar the challenge is to fund methods to improve the economic viability, environmental impact, and overall effectiveness of removing and repurposing wastes and residues.  Policy initiatives like 4 per 1000, C-Agg and ESMC are pathways to that end.

Tom