Walter Jehne, Healthy Soils Australia - declaration on Cow and World Methane Emissions #methane #cow

Tomaso Bertoli - CISV

Hello all

The attached “declaration” by Walter Jehne, Healthy Soils Australia is maybe available online on some website ?

I would like to repost it on our web and social media sites

If it’s not already online does anyone have Walter Jehne, Healthy Soils Australia email address so that I can ask permission to post the script ?

Thanks a lot

Tomaso

Da: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> Per conto di Ron Larson
Inviato: giovedì 14 maggio 2020 00:03
A: main@Biochar.groups.io; Benoit Lambert <benoit.lambert@...>
Cc: Anderson, Paul <psanders@...>; Seth Itzkan <seth.itzkan@...>; Karl Thidemann <karl.thidemann@...>; Thomas Goreau <goreau@...>; Delton Chen <delton.b.chen@...>
Oggetto: Re: [Biochar] [soil-age] Fwd: [4p1000] LINK for tomorrow session - LIEN pour la session de demain

Benoit and list, with 4 new ccs.

Thanks for responding to my comment yesterday re enteric methane. 

I’ve read the 2-pager from Walter Jehne (and brought it - in full -  up from below). 

Could you (or anyone) provide a cite for the specific numbers (100 and 10) in these two sentences copied from Walter:

"The moist air above green pastures can generally photo-oxidise 100 times more methane than what is able to be produced by the soil or animals grazing that area. 

Furthermore as that ecologically grazed pasture can fix and bio-sequester up to 10 tonnes of carbon per hectare per annum from the atmosphere this draw down of carbon must be credited, and paid to that farmer in any fair objective net carbon accounting system." 

I see that Seth will be talking (probably on this subject) tomorrow - so I hope he also can address these two critical numbers.  And maybe my comment on the MSU study’s subject matter;  was I correct in what that study covered?

Ron

On May 12, 2020, at 6:56 PM, Benoit Lambert <benoit.lambert@...> wrote:

Ron, biogeotherapists of all venues,

I missed the firs hour of 4p1000 today, but I followed the last hour. Glad to see biochar being part of the conversation, even if it is wildly underestimated. To me pyrolysis of biomass is like a photosynthesis multiplier. I suspect we see 5% of biochar potential. The article on non-soils use of biochar in materials mag. sure gives that impression.  

Regarding grazing… I am a great fan of Alan Savory and soil4climate. I put holistic grazing management at par with biochar. It is all part of the regenerative carbon farming/biosourced-carbon-negative materials revolution coming that will reverse global warming. In this discussion, I have been very impressed by Dr. Walter Jehne from Australia. I join a comment of Walter that I found on soil4climate, an organisation that does an amazing job promoting holistic grazing, sometimes referring to biochar. 

Best, Benoit

from Walter's 2 pages text: 

In the latter hydroxyl radicals that form naturally when sunlight splits water molecules rapidly oxidize any methane in that air. The moist air above green pastures can generally photo-oxidise 100 times more methane than what is able to be produced by the soil or animals grazing that area. 

Consequently while the Earth has sustained vast quantities of soil micro-organisms, termites, insects and grazing animals for millions of years all of which may emit methane, its level has remained low and stable. That is until some 30 years ago when levels doubled, largely in the northern hemisphere.

This doubling of even low methane levels was of concern as methane can absorb heat re-radiated by the Earth’s surface as part of, and to increase, the greenhouse effect. This concern generated claims that farmers should be prevented from grazing animals as they may produce methane emissions. To try to make this case ‘scientists’ have sought to measure the methane emissions from such animals. These data have then been used in the media and policies to vilify farmers and make them account and be liable for the emissions from their livestock and their greenhouse and climate impacts. 

However valid science must involve the analysis of the total ‘system’, not just a single part process.  When it does it is clear that the soil and photo-oxidative processes in and above green pastures oxidize far more methane from the atmosphere than is produced by the animals grazing and sustaining that pasture. Furthermore as that ecologically grazed pasture can fix and bio-sequester up to 10 tonnes of carbon per hectare per annum from the atmosphere this draw down of carbon must be credited, and paid to that farmer in any fair objective net carbon accounting system. 

Le 12 mai 2020 à 13:51, Ronal Larson <rongretlarson@...> a écrit :

Benoit (important in this - being Canadian) and list:  cc Paul

1.  Re your comment below:  I missed that biochar was on any 4p1000 list.  But am not surprised - as Dr.  Luu again today brought up biochar.  Again asking each of the 4 presenters their views of biochar. No strong negatives against biochar, but also no strong positives.  I think answers could be different if there had been any discussion of societal payments for CDR.

2.   I take it as favorable that Dr.  Luu brought up the subject (I think independently of any inputted questions such as yesterday).  Luu may be facing some sort of decision on including biochar in some way.   (Not saying that it already is.)

3.  There were today apparently a max of 80 participants - a little less than yesterday.   Part of today, especially at the end, was on a poll of 6 questions that I took as being posed to help 4p1000 decide on where to place their future efforts.  One could only pick one of 3-6 choices for each of the 6 questions.  I generally favored more on science for the 4p1000 group. Tomorrow we’ll hear what others thought (not the full 80 - I missed how many got turned in).

4.  In order to subtly bring in biochar, I asked this about half way through:  

For Dr.  Luu:

What is the position of 4p1000 re enteric methane release?

5.   I don’t think Luu responded (I was multi-tasking today), but a bit later the farmer who had presented a rosy picture on raising cattle responded to me with this:

"Paul Slomp       09:44 AM

I just want to be clear that grazing cattle does release more methane than feedlot animals do. Fortunately though, research is starting to show that properly mob-grazed cattle will actually lead to more carbon sequestration (CO2 equivalent) than is released in terms of methane (CO2 equivalent). This means that these practices can be a net carbon sink. see Stanley 2018 (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308521X17310338)"

6.  I have skimmed the article - and think Slomp missed the main feature of this article from Michigan State University - which was that the paper ONLY looked at the finishing stage - not the full life cycle.  

Anyone on this list closely following this enteric methanols issue and able to comment?   I see this as an important issue for both biochar in general and for 4p1000.  It is sure to come up later.  This topic is closely associated with the name “Alan Savory”.

7.  Prof. Keith Paustian (at CSU - many heard at the last USBI conference) is scheduled to speak (on soil modeling, probably not biochar).  Might be part of the reason that Dr. Luu again brought up biochar so aggressively today.

Other thoughts?

Ron

On May 12, 2020, at 6:07 AM, Benoit Lambert, PhD <benoit.lambert7@...> wrote:

Good remark Ron, and biochar was among negative emission technologies presented by Dr. Luu. It was in the list, but with some of the lowest potential. There is still work to do. We shall keep asking questions on biochar. Benoit

Le 12 mai 2020 à 00:32, Ron Larson <rongretlarson@...> a écrit :

List:

I thought today’s 4p1000 meeting was handled very well.  About 90 on Zoom call.  (Maybe 25% in French - with good translation)

Paul Anderson asked the first question (of course on biochar) and the moderator (Dr. Luu- head of 4p1000) took it seriously (not officially being supportive, but he kept the topic alive) and 2 of the 4 presenters responded reasonably favorably (one from California).  No other “4p" approach came close in attention in the two hour program.

4 more 2-hour sessions coming up.

Ron

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: [soil-age] Fwd: [4p1000] LINK for tomorrow session - LIEN pour la session de demain

Date: May 11, 2020 at 6:16:12 AM MDT

To: Soil Age <soil-age@...>, soil4climate-advisoryboard@..., "Sequestering Carbon in Soil: Addressing The Climate Threat" <sequestering-carbon-in-soil-addressing-the-climate-threat@...>, Healthy Soils Coalition <VHSC@...>

Reply-To: soil-age@...

FYI - This is starting today. It is free. I'll be speaking on Thursday, May 14

https://www.weezevent.com/reunion-regionale-4-pour-1000-amerique-du-nord

Regional meeting 4 per 1000 - online

In partnership with Regeneration Canada

Place and dates:

Online (on Zoom)
From May 11 to 15, 2020, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. EST daily

Goals :

Organize the first regional meeting in North America bringing together a maximum of partners and members of the “4 per 1000” initiative in Canada (7) and the United States (58).

Take advantage of five sessions over five days of meeting to develop a regional roadmap of concrete actions on the ground, for carbon storage in soils with the help of agriculture and forestry.

"From pilot project to large-scale development"

o   presentation of concrete results for each category of actors (farmers, scientists, NGOs, companies).

o   presentations of promising results and possibly implemented on a large scale.

o   facilitating / incentive factors and blocking / limiting factors.

Deliverables:

A regional roadmap of concrete actions in the field, for carbon storage in soils with the help of agriculture and forestry.

Participants:

All partners and members of the “4 per 1000” initiative based in North America, all interested friends of the “4 per 1000” initiative in the region, and contacts from our network. 

---------- Forwarded message ---------
info@...>
Date: Sun, May 10, 2020 at 5:47 PM
Subject: [4p1000] LINK for tomorrow session - LIEN pour la session de demain
To: Antonious Petro <
antonious@...>

[En français ci-bas]

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing well!

This is to remind you of tomorrow's session and to share some questions to reflect upon until we meet!

Here is the session recap:

• Session title: General presentation of the regional context vis-a-vis "4 per 1000" Initiative
  • Time: 7:30 to 9:00 PT / 10:30 to 12:00 ET / 16:30 to 18:00 CET

Attached here is the detailed program of the session as well as 6 questions that will be used as polls during the session. We encourage you to look at the questions and to prepare your answers.

*Please download and update your Zoom application before the sessions begin to enjoy all functionalities, including the simultaneous translation tool. You can also complete a tech check here before the session begins. If you are unable to join and receive and error code 3038 - please try to join with the Zoom Meeting ID: 940 5317 0297

Should you have any questions about tomorrow’s flow, please let us know!

Kind regards,

Antonious from Regeneration Canada team

Bonjour tout le monde,

Ceci est pour vous communiquer les détails la session de demain et pour vous partager quelques pistes de réflexion pour optimiser votre expérience.

Récapitulatif de la session:

• Titre: Présentation générale du contexte régional vis-à-vis de l’Initiative "4 pour 1000":
  • Heure: 7:30 to 9:00 PT / 10:30 to 12:00 ET / 16:30 to 18:00 CET

Vous trouverez ci-joint le programme détaillé de la session ainsi que six questions qui vous seront posées en format sondage demain pendant la session. Nous vous encourageons à y réfléchir!

*Veuillez télécharger l'application Zoom et la mettre à jour avant les sessions afin de profiter de toutes les fonctionnalités, incluant la traduction simultanée. Vous pouvez également faire un test technique avec Zoom ici. Si vous avez de la difficulté à vous connecter et que vous recevez le code d'erreur 3038, veuillez essayer de vous connecter avec le numéro d'identification de la rencontre (Meeting ID): 940 5317 0297

N'hésitez surtout pas à nous contacter si vous avez des questions!

Au plaisir,

Antonious de Régénération Canada

-- 

Seth J. Itzkan

Join the global movement of scientists, practitioners, and engaged citizens working to make soil a climate solution
soil4climate.org | soil4climate.org/donate
facebook.com/groups/soil4climate
twitter.com/soil4climate
instagram.com/soil4climate/

-- 
Also on Facebook at 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "soil-age" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to 
soil-age+unsubscribe@....
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/soil-age/CAPcP%2BaJw4QLAR-0Wm22MSCg7B0D11-O_O-%2B_x_1Ngwn7Uw%2BNGg%40mail.gmail.com.

<Session 1 - Introduction & GP.pdf><Session 1_FR_Introduction.pdf>

<FDI methane Jehne.docx>

ROBERT W GILLETT

The photooxidation won't happen at night. Methane (emitted from soil or livestock) is lighter than N2 or O2, so even if daytime photooxidation is rapid enough to remove methane, nighttime emissions will escape into the upper atmosphere away from the humid ground layer. Walter's declaration gives the impression that, in regenerative systems, increased methane emissions are largely transformed into less potent gasses. I think he may be wrong by half.

Robert Gillett 

Geoff Thomas

There are also other situations, such as windy days that whisk air away from a field, but the really crucial point is whether feeding charcoal to cows removes part or all of the methane and as another issue makes that available to the digestive system of the cow as an input leading to weight gain.
This whole concept of feeding cows charcoal that is turned into amazing Biochar and also sequestering that carbon for huge amounts of years is far more than than just taking the heat off farmers, imho.

Cheers,
Geoff Thomas.

On 15 May 2020, at 8:15 pm, Tomaso Bertoli - CISV <tomaso.bertoli@gmail.com> wrote:

<FDI methane Jehne.docx>