Topics

Beached biomass in NZ #flamecap #carboncapture #nz

Trevor Richards

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/agribusiness/121983842/environmental-devastation-at-tolaga-bay-may-take-a-century-to-recover-says-councillor
I'm keen to gather some expert opinion on processing this beach debris using (say) a large 'turtle' design and heavy equipment.
The issues I anticipate,
  • MC: push biomass into large piles above surf zone & wait until end of summer?
  • salt: temperature management for controlling dioxin? Any commercial use for char (other than C-sequestration)?
I circulated a proposal to forestry reps & NGO's not long after the 'event' but it fell on deaf ears... this article has pointed to a few new targets. This is 'bottom of cliff' target as systemic issues with forestry practices also need addressing. I look forward to any comments & suggestions.