From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> on behalf of James Gaspard <james.gaspard@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 9:16:04 AM
To: main@biochar.groups.io <main@biochar.groups.io>
Subject: [ADV] Re: [Biochar] "Fight Against Lake Hopatcong Algae Blooms Continues with 'Biochar' Bags" #algae #biofilter #phosphorous

Trevor:

I am certain this project is not destined to fail.   You need to remember Hugh's adage and published document that "all biochars are not created equal".   Our biochar is being used in this project, as it has been used throughout the US and Canada on many high profile algae control projects.    Our raw wood biochar, without any modifications during or after production, has been proven time and time again in testing with major corporations and independent labs to adsorb over 99% of the P it comes in contact with in nutrient laden water bodies.  We currently supply our biochar to many of the major lake treatment companies for use throughout North America.   The system being implemented at Lake Hopatcong is part of Biochar Now's patented system to treat algae blooms with our biochar.

Are you still based in Malaysia?   I ask because we have signed funding agreements to set up a number of our biochar production sites in Malaysia, Indonesia and Australia to address water quality and other issues in that part of the world.

James

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 8:17 AM Trevor Richards <trevor@...> wrote:
https://www.tapinto.net/towns/roxbury/sections/green/articles/fight-against-lake-hopatcong-algae-blooms-continues-with-biochar-bags
I thought most biochars had a rather poor affinity to P unless modified in production (or post-production?). Is this project destined to fail? Maybe reduction in N will help with algae bloom anyway.

--
James Gaspard
CEO

Biochar Now
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1832, Loveland, CO 80539-1832

James Gaspard

There are over 200 peer reviewed studies in the Science Direct database that speak directly to the pathways concerning P and biochar. Perhaps if the industry, and certain companies within the industry, would stop trying to pass off boiler ash and gasifier ash with poor adsorption qualities as "biochar" the science would not be so confusing. Biochar Now's biochar is also approved by the appropriate government agencies for use in frackwater spill remediation because we can bind both salt and chemicals (ie, anions and cations).

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 12:07 PM John Miedema <jmiedema@...> wrote:
I also find it difficult to understand how a raw (un-modified) Biochar will do much at all for Phosphorus capture. Could you provide 3rd party data (with the lab certifications) for these claims and case studies where it worked?  The chemistry of this claimed reaction does not follow understood mechanisms or my own research  around Phosphorus capture.

Thank you
John Miedema