From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of bajarobl
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 3:39 AM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: [Biochar] conservation burn pile

I need advice on a conservation burn pile for biochar production.
I have a mix of construction wood scraps and landscape clearing debris, in assorted dimensions and lengths.
Any suggestions on how best to cut, sort and stack for maximum biochar yield and minimum smoke?

Many thanks,
Rob Lerner
San Miguel de Allende, GTO, Mexico

John Webster

This recorded presentation by Deborah Dumroese (Research Soil Scientist -- US Forest Service, Idaho) is fascinating and worth watching. The link provided goes directly to her discussion regarding slash pile creation for biochar.  https://youtu.be/TXEhsonPKdE?t=1179 Do yourself a favor and watch from the beginning.

Here is a link to her paper on forest resilience:
https://zimbra.xmission.com/home/john@.../Public/Biochar_Forest_Resilience_rmrs_2020_dumroese_k001.pdf

- John Webster
GO Biochar

Salt Lake City, Utah. USA

Tom Miles

John,

Good find. The paper was just released in the latest issue of Tree Planters Notes.

Tom

This recorded presentation by Deborah Dumroese (Research Soil Scientist -- US Forest Service, Idaho) is fascinating and worth watching. The link provided goes directly to her discussion regarding slash pile creation for biochar.  https://youtu.be/TXEhsonPKdE?t=1179 Do yourself a favor and watch from the beginning.

Here is a link to her paper on forest resilience:
https://zimbra.xmission.com/home/john@.../Public/Biochar_Forest_Resilience_rmrs_2020_dumroese_k001.pdf

- John Webster
GO Biochar

Salt Lake City, Utah. USA

Geoff Thomas

I think Kelpie Wilson gives much clearer info.