Biochar Production in China #china #fertilizer

Nadav Ziv

Hi Tom,
On the last biochar conference in Korea one lecture was devoted to this subject of biochar market in China.
The Prof name was Wenfu Chen and he gave a great talk.
I attached 2 pictures and video which has all his slides. Sorry for the background sound... it was chosen by google pictures app...
I think applying this prof' is a good choice.
Good luck,
Nadav.

בתאריך יום א׳, 29 בנוב׳ 2020, 18:44, מאת Tom Miles ‏<tmiles@...>:

Hailong,

Do you know how much biochar and biochar based fertilizer was produced in China in 2019?

Hans-Peter Schmidt is looking for information about biochar production in China for a study he is doing in Europe. We have suggested that you would be a good resource as well as the Biochar Industry Technology Innovation Strategic Alliance of China (BITISAC). In a previous correspondence you said there might be 62 members of BITISAC. Is there someone in that organization we can contact? Can you refer us to any recent review articles about biochar production in China since the 2019 publication about straw returning by Meng et. al. in the Biochar Journal?

Many thanks

International Biochar Initiative

Biochar-international.org

Tom Miles

Nadav

Thanks sorry I had to miss that conference  Dr Chen is a good source. He is the senior editor of the Biochar Journal and a leader in biochar in China. I met him at the Asian Pacific Biochar Conference in 2018.

T R Miles Technical Consultants Inc.
tmiles@...
Sent from mobile.

On Nov 29, 2020, at 12:24 PM, Nadav Ziv <nadavziv37@...> wrote:

[...]

Attachments:

Nadav Ziv

Hi,
I found a way to share all this presentation as an album so you can get all the slides.

Nadav.

בתאריך יום ב׳, 30 בנוב׳ 2020, 01:36, מאת Tom Miles ‏<tmiles@...>:

[...]

Logo160.

Attachments:

Tom Miles

Well done. Thanks. It is clear that developing biochar based fertilizers in China has  many of the same challenges that we all face.

Tom

[...]

Rick Wilson

Hi Could someone please resend me a copy of the China bio based fertilizer report, I lost a bunch of files on my computer.  Thanks!

On Nov 30, 2020, at 11:02 AM, Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

[...]

Hans-Peter Schmidt

Thanks a lot for sharing the slides about the Chinese biochar industry. As Tom said, it seems that they are struggling with the same problems of standardization and (absence of) proof of agronomic efficiency. I am still wondering who buys the reported 500,000 t of biochar based fertilizers (= application on 500,000 ha) and at what prices? If the Chinese government subsidizes the industry to avoid emissions from infield burning of rice straw, and the farmer get the biochar (based fertilizers) for free, there is certainly a business case. If it is otherwise, I am wondering that nobody can show any data on yield effects of the new generation of biochar based fertilizers that are applied on half a million hectares.

Stephen Joseph

Hi Hans Peter

There have been a number of papers published on the yield benefits of  biochar compound fertiliser. e.g.
Zheng, J. et al. Biochar compound fertilizer increases nitrogen productivity and economic benefits but decreases carbon emission of maize production. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 241, 70-78

Genxing Pans group are about to Publish some long term studies on biochar compound fertilisers.  We discussed the economics a little in the white paper on the Value of biochar that is on the ANZBI Web site.
There are also papers published in Chinese.  Hailong Wang may have access to these.