Deep Tillage #soil #tillage #soc

ROBERT W GILLETT

A renowned organic farmer here in Maryland told me that he does a deep till about every 4 to 5 years to combat weeds. If he is using a sub-soiler, he may be doing more good than he realizes.

A meta-study shows that sub-soiling, by itself, increases SOC by 8.87% on average; perhaps more for arid soils. Other practices, such as alternating deep tillage and no-till, can increase SOC even more. The paper probably does not look at biochar, but it seems that adding biochar in conjunction with sub-soiling could magnify the effect significantly, especially since biochar has a directly beneficial effect on organo-mineral activity when close to plant roots.

The way I read the abstract, deep would mean up to 50 cm. 

Robert 

Charles Hegberg

The meta-study is behind a pay wall but subsoiling is an fantastic approach.  This has been done in Australia for years and a few are placing biochar while subsoiling.  Look up Yoeman plow.  In MD they are basically doing the same thing but with poultry litter.  I know an organic farmer in Gap, PA who has a 5 tine subsoiler for his pastures and is now doing it for other farmers.  No-till is great at cutting sediment and nutrient loads but the equipment if very heavy and it is time sensitive for planting so sometimes farmers get in the field too early compacting the soil more.  Subsoiling every 4-5 year is necessary and beneficial. 

Chuck

Date: Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 1:30 PM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io>
Subject: [Biochar] Deep Tillage #soil #soc #tillage

A renowned organic farmer here in Maryland told me that he does a deep till about every 4 to 5 years to combat weeds. If he is using a sub-soiler, he may be doing more good than he realizes.

A meta-study shows that sub-soiling, by itself, increases SOC by 8.87% on average; perhaps more for arid soils. Other practices, such as alternating deep tillage and no-till, can increase SOC even more. The paper probably does not look at biochar, but it seems that adding biochar in conjunction with sub-soiling could magnify the effect significantly, especially since biochar has a directly beneficial effect on organo-mineral activity when close to plant roots.

The way I read the abstract, deep would mean up to 50 cm. 

Robert