From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io>
Date: Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 1:30 PM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io>
Subject: [Biochar] Deep Tillage #soil #soc #tillage

A renowned organic farmer here in Maryland told me that he does a deep till about every 4 to 5 years to combat weeds. If he is using a sub-soiler, he may be doing more good than he realizes.

A meta-study shows that sub-soiling, by itself, increases SOC by 8.87% on average; perhaps more for arid soils. Other practices, such as alternating deep tillage and no-till, can increase SOC even more. The paper probably does not look at biochar, but it seems that adding biochar in conjunction with sub-soiling could magnify the effect significantly, especially since biochar has a directly beneficial effect on organo-mineral activity when close to plant roots.

The way I read the abstract, deep would mean up to 50 cm.

Robert