[ADV] Re: [Biochar] Need Help with Biochar in ag/water management #nutrients #water

John Miedema

Here is our latest data set for research we are doing with ag/water – looking specifically at dissolved phosphorous capture with various engineered biochars made at my facility. We are using Phosloc as our comparison. The water we are using was harvested from canals flowing from agricultural fields in southern Oregon.  

John

John Miedema

Founder, BioLogical Carbon LLC

Board Vice-president, Dry Farming Institute 

https://dryfarming.org/

jmiedema@...

541-619-0007

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charles Hegberg
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 7:46 AM
To: main@biochar.groups.io
Subject: [ADV] Re: [Biochar] Need Help with Biochar in ag/water management

In the Chesapeake Bay some are using Biochar as part of bio reactors and to enhance swales and ditches. Basically linear bio reactors 

Charles H. Hegberg, President

reGENESIS Consulting Services, LLC

Infinite Solutions, L3C

256 Frederick Street

Hanover, PA 17331

410-218-1408 (m)

U.S. Biochar Initiative Board Member

USBI Biochar 2018 Conference (Past Chair)

"Promoting the Sustainable Production and Use of Biochar"

www.biochar-us.org

@USbiochar

Facebook US Biochar Initiative 

On Feb 12, 2021, at 10:34 AM, Harry Groot <harry@...> wrote:

Received an inquiry from a Lake States SWCD interested in the potential role bichar could play in ag drainage management. Specifically, the nutrients moving in those systems. Can anyone point me to published research on the topic, or direct me to anyone working in the ag-water space, specifically on how biochar may be able to mitigate nutrient runoff concerns?

I assume recycling the nutrient rich char back into the soil would be of interest...or should be...so experience or research in that practice would be useful, too.

Thanks,

H

Frank Strie

Good Work in Progress John!
Thanks for sharing.
I am sure before too long we will discuss this in a formal way between Tasmania and Oregon.
In New Zealand is also a drive, desire and need  to capture nutrient runoff and seepage from Dairy Country and Dairy Facilities.
Zero waste and Restorative Agriculture, Restorative Forest Management and Renovative Catchment Management is what is on the agenda.
Best regards from the best summer in 33 years
Frank again

PS: Some valuable consideration from Europe: http://www.biochar-industry.com/why in English

Inline image 1

Schwabenforest Pty. Ltd.
Karin & Frank Strie 
82 Brady’s Lookout Road
Rosevears, TAS, 7277
ph: 6394 4395
m: 61 (0) 417 312 927

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FranksCharTasmania

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Miedema
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2021 6:19 AM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ADV] Re: [Biochar] Need Help with Biochar in ag/water management

Here is our latest data set for research we are doing with ag/water – looking specifically at dissolved phosphorous capture with various engineered biochars made at my facility. We are using Phosloc as our comparison. The water we are using was harvested from canals flowing from agricultural fields in southern Oregon.  

John

John Miedema

jmiedema@...

541-619-0007

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charles Hegberg

In the Chesapeake Bay some are using Biochar as part of bio reactors and to enhance swales and ditches. Basically linear bio reactors 

Infinite Solutions, L3C

256 Frederick Street

Hanover, PA 17331

410-218-1408 (m)

www.biochar-us.org

@USbiochar

Received an inquiry from a Lake States SWCD interested in the potential role bichar could play in ag drainage management. Specifically, the nutrients moving in those systems. Can anyone point me to published research on the topic, or direct me to anyone working in the ag-water space, specifically on how biochar may be able to mitigate nutrient runoff concerns?

I assume recycling the nutrient rich char back into the soil would be of interest...or should be...so experience or research in that practice would be useful, too.

Thanks,

H

Charles Hegberg

John – this is some great data.  We need to catch up some time soon. 

Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 2:19 PM

John

John Miedema

jmiedema@...

541-619-0007

Infinite Solutions, L3C

256 Frederick Street

Hanover, PA 17331

410-218-1408 (m)

www.biochar-us.org

@USbiochar

Thanks,

H

Tomaso Bertoli - CISV

John

Thanks for sharing

Can you elaborate a bit more on the differences of the “various engineered biochars made at my facility”

What is the cost benefit of the different biochar engineering processes ?

Did you run a trial with plain raw biochar ?

Tomaso

Da: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> Per conto di John Miedema
Inviato: venerdì 12 febbraio 2021 20:19
A: main@Biochar.groups.io
Oggetto: Re: [ADV] Re: [Biochar] Need Help with Biochar in ag/water management

John

John Miedema

jmiedema@...

541-619-0007

Infinite Solutions, L3C

256 Frederick Street

Hanover, PA 17331

410-218-1408 (m)

www.biochar-us.org

@USbiochar

Thanks,

H

John Miedema

Tomaso, 

I have done multiple rounds of testing of raw biochar- in column tests and bottle tests both - in my experience the raw char, from all sorts of different biomass, has not been very effective at capturing  nutrients at all (one exception being that manure based biochar shows ok filtration for nutrients) 
There has been observational evidence reported claiming that nutrient based algae blooms have been brought under control via “socks” of raw high carbon biochar hanging in the water column or put into inlet streams- the mechanism here is likely biofilm/bacteria processing and not some form of chemical sorption of the nutrients by Biochar.  

Raw biochar is (in general) a cation exchange material, we need anion exchange if we want anything to happen to these dissolved nutrients. 

Dr. Joseph’s work has been a great inspiration to me for many years... thank you Stephen!!!

-John

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> on behalf of Tomaso Bertoli - CISV <tomaso.bertoli@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2021 2:36 AM

John

Thanks for sharing

Can you elaborate a bit more on the differences of the “various engineered biochars made at my facility”

Tomaso

John

John Miedema

jmiedema@...

541-619-0007

Infinite Solutions, L3C

256 Frederick Street

Hanover, PA 17331

410-218-1408 (m)

www.biochar-us.org

@USbiochar

Thanks,

H

Frank Strie

May I add some further consideration here John,
Have you snuffed or quenched chars and observed the differences?
Quenching the hot and/  or at least  ultra-dry char with various liquids, be they pure rainwater or nutrient rich liquids or iron rich liquid or magnetic designer liquids.
Using snuffed char be that capped or starved of oxygen with sand (very little stones)  will create very different responses by the fresh char compared to the  flood quenched chars as we produce in our KON-TIKI-TAS kilns. In coming month there will be various trials and investigation initiated in Tasmania to address this great important topic of nutrient filtration and stormwater and pond water issues.
Carbonising local Hazelnut shells and also Cherry stones from local orchards and cherry processing. It will be interesting to engage with the various interest groups and companies in the Tamar Valley Catchments, brining together the community, educators, researchers and synergistic business interests to grow the local and regional economy from the ground up.
Even the ~30,000m3 of annual Estuarine Silt in Launceston and the contaminated , even raw sewage sludge from the flooded drainage system are all great things to explore. Building a complex systems network and local, regional, national and international business  consortium tackling the various stages of technology, research and developments via a complex mind mapping exercise using all the available tools and technologies to build business cases that stack up and cascade and will grow with time, from the highest points (the alpine ski slopes) in the catchment all the way to the bottom of the sea. From freshwater streams and creeks to the brackish flocculation zone to the marine environment, flora and fauna.
Interesting time in 2021, that’s for sure!
Never a boring moment and lots of ‘productive fun ‘as I like to call it.
Frank again.

Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 9:22 AM

Tomaso, 

I have done multiple rounds of testing of raw biochar- in column tests and bottle tests both - in my experience the raw char, from all sorts of different biomass, has not been very effective at capturing  nutrients at all (one exception being that manure based biochar shows ok filtration for nutrients) 

There has been observational evidence reported claiming that nutrient based algae blooms have been brought under control via “socks” of raw high carbon biochar hanging in the water column or put into inlet streams- the mechanism here is likely biofilm/bacteria processing and not some form of chemical sorption of the nutrients by Biochar.  

Raw biochar is (in general) a cation exchange material, we need anion exchange if we want anything to happen to these dissolved nutrients. 

Dr. Joseph’s work has been a great inspiration to me for many years... thank you Stephen!!!

-John

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> on behalf of Tomaso Bertoli - CISV <tomaso.bertoli@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2021 2:36 AM

John

Thanks for sharing

Tomaso

John

John Miedema

jmiedema@...

541-619-0007

Infinite Solutions, L3C

256 Frederick Street

Hanover, PA 17331

410-218-1408 (m)

www.biochar-us.org

@USbiochar

Thanks,

H

Robert Lehmert

Phoslock is zeolite and lanthanum. 

Once the filter is saturated, the P cannot be separated and therefore cannot be recycled. I think that's important.

I think we would end up with a filter that slowly release its P back into soils if we used Biochar C... and that gives it a higher economic value.

John, can you comment?