Why I distrust the stove and pellet industries

Paul S Anderson

Michael,

Thanks for the link to that article.   But I did not see an promotion of a pellet stove.

Issues like noise pollution etc are lamentable but not unique to pellet factories.   That is anti-industry abuse, but not anti-pellet.

Big issue is that the pellets are being burned to heat plus ash instead of being pyrolyzed to heat plus charcoal/biochar.   MAJOR DIFFERENCE.

Yes, there are excellent pyrolytic cookstoves (TLUD style) that use pellets extremely well.   But projects cannot be based on selling a few hundred stoves.   Minimum suggested is 2000 reasonably close together, and with a pellet supply chain.   I work with such proposals (not yet projects) with carbon sequestration credits for sustainability.   But up-front starting capital is needed.

Inventor of RoCC kilns and author of Biochar white paper :  See  www.woodgas.energy/resources

Does anyone remember the NYT story a year or so ago that touted some new pellet stove as the savior of our climate and champion of our forests and environment?

Dream on.

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com