Global crop waste burning - micro-biochar; how a small community development organization learned experientially to address a huge problem one tiny field at a time

Tom Miles

From Michael Shafer, Warm Heart Foundation

This is a must read!

“I am pleased to announce the publication, this past March, of an article in the Springer, online, scientific journal Sustainable Earth of my article describing how very low-cost, low-tech biochar made by the poorest farmers in the world can stop much global crop waste burning, reduce carbon and PM2.5 emissions, sequester large amounts of carbon, improve public health and reduce rural poverty. Entitled "Global crop waste burning – micro-biochar; how a small community development organization learned experientially to address a huge problem one tiny field at a time," the downloadable PDF can be found at https://lnkd.in/eFed3Xa or https://lnkd.in/eTFSArK

And https://sustainableearth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s42055-020-00037-y

briancady413

I like that this uses local earth and a common sheet metal roof panel; it would be better if it used the considerable heat generated usefully.

Brian
-

On Friday, April 23, 2021, 1:35:49 PM EDT, Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

From Michael Shafer, Warm Heart Foundation

This is a must read!

“I am pleased to announce the publication, this past March, of an article in the Springer, online, scientific journal Sustainable Earth of my article describing how very low-cost, low-tech biochar made by the poorest farmers in the world can stop much global crop waste burning, reduce carbon and PM2.5 emissions, sequester large amounts of carbon, improve public health and reduce rural poverty. Entitled "Global crop waste burning – micro-biochar; how a small community development organization learned experientially to address a huge problem one tiny field at a time," the downloadable PDF can be found at https://lnkd.in/eFed3Xa or https://lnkd.in/eTFSArK

And https://sustainableearth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s42055-020-00037-y

Frank Strie

Latest News update:

Here’s how American University in Washington, DC, explains carbon removal:

Carbon removal is the process of removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and locking it away for decades, centuries, or millennia. This could slow, limit, or even reverse climate change — but it is not a substitute for cutting greenhouse gas emissions.

This is because carbon removal is generally slow-acting and may not be able to be deployed at scales commensurate with society’s current greenhouse emissions. Carbon removal is sometimes referred to as carbon dioxide removal or CDR, and technologies for implementing carbon removal are sometimes called Negative Emissions Technologies (NETs). Some prominent ideas for carbon removal include:

planting massive new forests (afforestation/reforestation)

using no-till agriculture and other practices to increase the amount of carbon stored in soils (soil carbon sequestration)

creating charcoal and burying it or plowing it into fields (biochar) "

Source:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2021/apr/23/joe-biden-climate-summit-jobs-covid-us-politics-live-latest?page=with:block-6082f7e78f08505668d993cc

I like that this uses local earth and a common sheet metal roof panel; it would be better if it used the considerable heat generated usefully.

Brian

-

On Friday, April 23, 2021, 1:35:49 PM EDT, Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

From Michael Shafer, Warm Heart Foundation

This is a must read!

“I am pleased to announce the publication, this past March, of an article in the Springer, online, scientific journal Sustainable Earth of my article describing how very low-cost, low-tech biochar made by the poorest farmers in the world can stop much global crop waste burning, reduce carbon and PM2.5 emissions, sequester large amounts of carbon, improve public health and reduce rural poverty. Entitled "Global crop waste burning – micro-biochar; how a small community development organization learned experientially to address a huge problem one tiny field at a time," the downloadable PDF can be found at https://lnkd.in/eFed3Xa or https://lnkd.in/eTFSArK

And https://sustainableearth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s42055-020-00037-y

Stephen Joseph

Dear Michael

Congratulations.  great to see you in print.

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 3:35 AM Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

From Michael Shafer, Warm Heart Foundation

This is a must read!

“I am pleased to announce the publication, this past March, of an article in the Springer, online, scientific journal Sustainable Earth of my article describing how very low-cost, low-tech biochar made by the poorest farmers in the world can stop much global crop waste burning, reduce carbon and PM2.5 emissions, sequester large amounts of carbon, improve public health and reduce rural poverty. Entitled "Global crop waste burning – micro-biochar; how a small community development organization learned experientially to address a huge problem one tiny field at a time," the downloadable PDF can be found at https://lnkd.in/eFed3Xa or https://lnkd.in/eTFSArK

And https://sustainableearth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s42055-020-00037-y

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Tom,

You are too generous.

I think that the main takeaway regarding carbon removal is that the rest of the world holds vast, untapped potential if we are willing to start by thinking about the real world constraints facing those who can help.

Connected to this is our current project: how to create a verification and certification system for small farmers to be able to qualify for incentive $ for making and burying biochar.

As far using heat from trenches, if anyone has ideas, please let me know. The trench is an accommodation to the demands of living on a small farm on bad terrain. It is meant to be something a farmer can do anywhere with no more than a hoe. If there are uses for heat that fit within that picture or provide the farmer superior benefits that justify moving feedstock to a central location, please suggest them. I have chewed on this unsuccessfully for years.

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021, 12:35 AM Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

From Michael Shafer, Warm Heart Foundation

This is a must read!

“I am pleased to announce the publication, this past March, of an article in the Springer, online, scientific journal Sustainable Earth of my article describing how very low-cost, low-tech biochar made by the poorest farmers in the world can stop much global crop waste burning, reduce carbon and PM2.5 emissions, sequester large amounts of carbon, improve public health and reduce rural poverty. Entitled "Global crop waste burning – micro-biochar; how a small community development organization learned experientially to address a huge problem one tiny field at a time," the downloadable PDF can be found at https://lnkd.in/eFed3Xa or https://lnkd.in/eTFSArK

And https://sustainableearth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s42055-020-00037-y

Geoff Thomas

Great work Michael, and an interesting read.
Cheers, Geoff Thomas.

On 25 Apr 2021, at 2:23 pm, d.michael.shafer@... wrote:

[...]

From Michael Shafer, Warm Heart Foundation

This is a must read!

“I am pleased to announce the publication, this past March, of an article in the Springer, online, scientific journal Sustainable Earth of my article describing how very low-cost, low-tech biochar made by the poorest farmers in the world can stop much global crop waste burning, reduce carbon and PM2.5 emissions, sequester large amounts of carbon, improve public health and reduce rural poverty. Entitled "Global crop waste burning – micro-biochar; how a small community development organization learned experientially to address a huge problem one tiny field at a time," the downloadable PDF can be found at https://lnkd.in/eFed3Xa or https://lnkd.in/eTFSArK

And https://sustainableearth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s42055-020-00037-y

Geoff Thomas

Hi again Michael, and I should have mentioned, ignoring the poorest people can be very risky, the Romans increased the tax on poor farmers on second quality land, to such a degree that it was higher than any permutation of crops could ever pay, so all the small farmers either left their land or went to jail (slavery), so they and their family migrated to the big cities, - becoming a problem, - but more importantly, their land was no longer farmed, and all the second class land added up in production, - despite each individual contributing very little, - so regarded as of little account, - to a big slice of the empire’s income.
So of course the emperors of that time taxed the richer farmers on the better land, to make up the shortfall, so the richer farmers started losing their land also, and so the emperor stopped paying the Army, as they had a schedule of sumptuous parties they wanted to attend, so when the Visigoths came to Rome they walked in virtually un-opposed, pissed on the senators and slaughtered them.

Every human being seeks their place in the sun, and usually by contributing something, - however small, so I understand the village farmers' attitudes, based on a very rock hard reality, and also the relatively well off Govt employees, that probably could see no benefit in subsidising the poorest, nor caring about them.

We used to say in Australia, ”many a Mickle makes a muckle”, it simply means many small things add up to a big thing.

Ever since I came across the stovists list discussion, I had the feeling that the poor may be the only ones able to save the earth.
I also thought that a variant of Metal Detectors could measure the carbon content in the garden a farmer may have claimed he buried his Biochar in, - actually I believe that that technology has developed spectacularly,  since then, - whilst focussing on gold etc, they also can detect potential gold bearing sands etc, - it may just be a question of how to set the detector to measure Carbon.

Cheers,
Geoff.

On 25 Apr 2021, at 3:01 pm, Geoff Thomas <wind@...> wrote:

[...]

From Michael Shafer, Warm Heart Foundation

This is a must read!

“I am pleased to announce the publication, this past March, of an article in the Springer, online, scientific journal Sustainable Earth of my article describing how very low-cost, low-tech biochar made by the poorest farmers in the world can stop much global crop waste burning, reduce carbon and PM2.5 emissions, sequester large amounts of carbon, improve public health and reduce rural poverty. Entitled "Global crop waste burning – micro-biochar; how a small community development organization learned experientially to address a huge problem one tiny field at a time," the downloadable PDF can be found at https://lnkd.in/eFed3Xa or https://lnkd.in/eTFSArK

And https://sustainableearth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s42055-020-00037-y

Frank Strie

Yes Michael Schafer,
there is a need and reasons to get into Pyrogenic Carbon planning, action and Biochar use practice.
It is a great education and information process to provide the entrance level mobile and simple techniques to optimise the local situations.
As people and working groups, cooperate and inform each other there will be a transition to ever better methods and larger scale if appropriate.
For us here in Tasmania we have an abundance of ‘still unloved biomass’ from weedy to woody vegetation.
Now a local city council Landscape & Tree Management Team in our Tamar Valley has discovered the success of the “Stockholm Biochar Project”, the use for successful urban tree plantings and stormwater utilisation etc. as practiced and adopted in Dubbo, NSW Australia.

file:///C:/Users/terra/Downloads/Tree%20Seminar%20Stockholm%20Presentation%20(2).pdf
It is great to know and to see how keen the discussion is moving things forward. Now there is a declared demand for locally made, high quality biochar at larger scale than in the past. It enables us to take the next step to design and manufacture ever better, more sophisticated  portable biochar kilns that enable continuous carbonisation of deadwood and tree pruning materials to put to good use in soil medium.
In 2021 things progress ever faster. After near 14 years of intensive work it is satisfying to get the feedback and inquiries from around the island and well over 4,000km away for technical solutions. …
Next week we participate in Agfest 2021 and display our latest series of KON-TIKI-TAS Deep Cone Kiln models the KTT Compact =  300litre, the KTT Standard =1000litre, and the 1,850litre KTT Stretch kiln.
https://www.agfest.com.au/agfest-2021 .
This annual mega event in Tassie is organised by the Rural Youth network who show an ever increasing awareness of the many cascading roles of Pyrogenic Carbon/Biochar. We also have information available on the industrial scale, modern stationary technologies available and operational in other places around the world.
The larger units will afterwards ‘travel to work’ on Regen-Farms and Permaculture Training Centres  and in Byron Bay in NSW and Castlemaine in  VIC. The learning process continues and with it ever more applications in responsible material handling and soil improvement.
Let’s all keep going and developing ever further ideas and considerations.
Thanks for sharing
Frank again

www.terrapretadevelopments.com.au/products

[...]

From Michael Shafer, Warm Heart Foundation

This is a must read!

“I am pleased to announce the publication, this past March, of an article in the Springer, online, scientific journal Sustainable Earth of my article describing how very low-cost, low-tech biochar made by the poorest farmers in the world can stop much global crop waste burning, reduce carbon and PM2.5 emissions, sequester large amounts of carbon, improve public health and reduce rural poverty. Entitled "Global crop waste burning – micro-biochar; how a small community development organization learned experientially to address a huge problem one tiny field at a time," the downloadable PDF can be found at https://lnkd.in/eFed3Xa or https://lnkd.in/eTFSArK

And https://sustainableearth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s42055-020-00037-y

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Dear Geoff,

I know nothing whatsoever about metal detectors for anything, but the story about the Romans is fantastic. It starts with my own version of the "law of large numbers" which (with apologies to statisticians, like this: "Anything times a billion is a large number."

All the food policy sorts winge about rising food insecurity - a huge issue - since no one is putting any effort into the very poor rural farmers, and the very poor farmers are doing exactly as you would expect, they are giving up farming to move to the city. Here they become interesting to the EU policy wonks, who now condition ag aid on its likely capacity to retard migration, but that's no longer the point. The point, as you show, is that all of that crappy land collectively, did produce, collectively, an important, if ignored, surplus of food. Without it, these ex-farmers' countries are forced onto the global market to buy. Increasingly, however, the question is, from whom? And here the question is really, can they compete? We live in a bizarre world where Saudis have huge plantations in Kenya - for themselves - and big Britain lives on the veggie production of the tiny Netherlands. Is the global food net the Roman Empire? I don't see any likely Visigoths, but I am quite sure that all the postwar hoopla about human rights will go out the door and the gloves will come off the minute it is not a handful of Syrians but billions the hungry little people banging on the walls of the the US and EU.

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 4:00 PM Geoff Thomas <wind@...> wrote:
[...]

From Michael Shafer, Warm Heart Foundation

This is a must read!

“I am pleased to announce the publication, this past March, of an article in the Springer, online, scientific journal Sustainable Earth of my article describing how very low-cost, low-tech biochar made by the poorest farmers in the world can stop much global crop waste burning, reduce carbon and PM2.5 emissions, sequester large amounts of carbon, improve public health and reduce rural poverty. Entitled "Global crop waste burning – micro-biochar; how a small community development organization learned experientially to address a huge problem one tiny field at a time," the downloadable PDF can be found at https://lnkd.in/eFed3Xa or https://lnkd.in/eTFSArK

And https://sustainableearth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s42055-020-00037-y

Norm Baker

Gentlemen;

Here is a new article about BECCS. Looks to be good but unfortunately, I do not have access to the full article. I'm hoping one of you can get all of us a full pdf.

Here is the popular version  - https://scitechdaily.com/how-bioenergy-with-carbon-capture-and-storage-could-help-stabilize-the-climate-without-breaking-the-bank/ ; How Bioenergy with Crabon Capture and Storage could help Stabilize the Climate without Breaking the Bank.

Also, Michael, I was very pleased with your publication on crop burning. Very well said. I too am a big proponent of democratized biochar and truly feel it is one of the best options for all people to fight global warming. I also like the fact that you put real numbers to avoided emissions and especially PM2.5. Congrats. Again, well done!

Norm

d.michael.shafer@gmail.com

Thank you, Norm. If you are still having trouble getting the full article, just ask and I will send it.

Have been a bit shy about publicizing too much.