[CDR] terrestrial C cycle

Paul S Anderson

John,

Thanks for that useful “Plain Language Summary,”   The linked full article says that there is not much benefit of growing more trees (over generalized statement, but if this shoe fits, then wear it.)   So AR (afforestation / reforestation) is not doing much CDR because it lacks STORAGE, which is S.    We need CDRS, emphasizing that storage is also accomplished.

The bright side of the AR as being  only short term (or almost neutral) is that there is a developed and economical / sustainable way to accomplish the storage of 50% of that AR removal.   And that way is called Biochar.   Biochar removes no CO2, but it stores CO2e for looooong periods.

I have a document (and a short video) about this, entitled “Understanding Carbon Dioxide Removal and Storage (CDRS)”    www.woodgas.energy/resources        And here are two graphics from page 12.

Please note that our standard naming of CDR technologies have different “interpretations / understandings” about the various words, often using the same words to define other words:

Capture                to remove CO2 from the atmosphere

Storage                to hold LONG TERM the removed CO2

Removal              BOTH having captured and stored the CO2

AR                          Very weak on storage

CCS                        carbon capture and storage (but is specifically applied to BECCS, not to all CCS)

CCUS                     just add in the word “use” and that somehow makes it different

DAC                       ONLY the capture   (deep geologic storage, etc is NOT included in that designation))

DACCS                  BOTH the capture and storage, although storage issues are major)

Biochar                 ALL about storage;  totally dependent on AR and crop growth for the removal)

CDR                        Usually understood to mean both capture and storage, but CCS name is taken already.

CDRS                     Just adding the “S” to emphasize Storage that some CDR (AR and DAC) do not accomplish.

In other words, our terminology is sloppy.  Its usage and dependent on “general understanding by the experts.”   Which means that the general public could be easily confused.

PLEASE read the document.   PLAEASE use it, or suggest changes and we can change it together.

[Note on a possible change:  I believe that EW and  CCO “carbon concretions in  oceans – including biological” should be separated from the Engineered capture of DAC and CCE.  ]

Inventor of RoCC kilns and author of Biochar white paper :  See  www.woodgas.energy/resources