[ADV] Re: [Biochar] Biochar Policy Recommendations to Address Rising Carbon Dioxide Levels

John Miedema

Nando-

I couldn’t agree more. In my many years of doing research and development around biochar production and utilization I early on cam to the realization that the touting of biochar as what I like to call “The Great Black Panacea” will be seen as snake-oil and not be helpful to what we are doing and trying to do.

As Tom points out,  system integration is a pathway that we need to implement. Development of dedicated “skunkworks” type innovation campuses for advancement of sustainable systems,  is the best way I can think of to figure this out. A simple mass balance tells us pyrolysis of biomass needs hydrogen if there is going to be an economically viable liquid fuel derived from the process. Where is that hydrogen going to come from?  Electrolysis of wastewater via solar or wind derived electrons, methane from biodigesters (or natural gas- Cool Planet)? We don’t know because we have not had the opportunity to build the systems. – One of the main reasons we have lacked the opportunity to do this level of investigation and development is many of the loudest voices around biochar (and therefore the ones who have attracted the largest investments) have been selling the idea of biochar as opposed to doing the work of making and understanding biochar – where it works and where it does not.

John

John Miedema

Founder, BioLogical Carbon LLC

Board Vice-president, Dry Farming Institute

https://dryfarming.org/

jmiedema@...

541-619-0007