Biochar for preservation and germination

Tom Miles

From: Stephen Joseph <joey.stephen@...>
Date: Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 8:35 AM
Subject: Biochar for preservation and germination
To: biochar <biochar@...>

Dear friends

I did an experiment over th elast year.  I grow a lot of turmeric and found that after a few months it became moldy even when i added it to sand which was the recommendation from some organic farmers.

So I put in  high temperature wood biochar and it is still as fresh as when I put in a year ago but it has now started to sprout (see below).  Now I will try with other seeds.

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 6:48 AM mikethewormguy mikethewormguy@... [biochar] <biochar@...> wrote:

gordon,

some of the attributes that we like from charred hard wood pellets include the physical stability, microbial growth substrate, ease of spreading, and it's shape.

we have used a blend of microbially enriched (ME) charred wood pellets and pelleted chicken compost, as well as, a blend of ME charred wood pellets and pelletized spent mushroom substrate/char powder, as soil additives, for our veggee production which resulted in a statistically significant number of yums from those who ate the harvest......

let us know how we can be of service......

mike

__._,_.___

Posted by: mikethewormguy <mikethewormguy@...>

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic (6)

.

__,_._,___

mikethewormguy

Stephen,

Cool practical experiment.......

I grew turmeric and ginger 2 seasons ago and stored it in vermiculite. I could see biochar working, in a similar manner, as vermiculite.

Now I am curious about trying the biochar with potatoes...

Wood Ash has been used with seed storage. Was the char you used rinsed or still having some ash.

Mike

Stephen Joseph

Hi Mike

Not rinsed.  Why would youwant to get rid of the wonderful ash and organic compounds.
Remember most wood ash has pieces of biochar in it.

Stephen

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 9:30 AM mikethewormguy via groups.io <mikethewormguy=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Stephen,

Cool practical experiment.......

I grew turmeric and ginger 2 seasons ago and stored it in vermiculite. I could see biochar working, in a similar manner, as vermiculite.

Now I am curious about trying the biochar with potatoes...

Wood Ash has been used with seed storage. Was the char you used rinsed or still having some ash.

Just checking...    wood ash and char are a great pair

Laurent Chabanne

So just biochar? With some water I guess, just to provide moisture?