Biochars and Chlorine Capture from Industrial Sites

Tom Miles

Does anyone have experience using biochars for chlorine capture from old industrial sites? We recently received this question:

“I am wondering if there is a way to find out of there are people or groups in your network with experience using biochar to remove Cl from leachate coming from an old industrial site.”

Does anyone have data from an industrial  site?

Thanks

Executive Director

U.S. Biochar Initiative

"Promoting the Sustainable Production and Use of Biochar"

www.biochar-us.org

@USbiochar

Facebook US Biochar Initiative

USBI Logo - Copy (420x176)

Stephen Joseph

Hi Tom

Yes biochar mops up Chlorides in salt encrusted soil but no data frm industrial sites

stephen

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 4:32 AM Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

Does anyone have experience using biochars for chlorine capture from old industrial sites? We recently received this question:

“I am wondering if there is a way to find out of there are people or groups in your network with experience using biochar to remove Cl from leachate coming from an old industrial site.”

Does anyone have data from an industrial  site?

Thanks

Executive Director

U.S. Biochar Initiative

"Promoting the Sustainable Production and Use of Biochar"

www.biochar-us.org

@USbiochar

Facebook US Biochar Initiative

USBI Logo - Copy (420x176)

Rick Wilson

Tom, here is an overview of work that I was involved with removing chlorides from industrial wastewater.  Rick

On Mar 17, 2021, at 10:31 AM, Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

Does anyone have experience using biochars for chlorine capture from old industrial sites? We recently received this question:
“I am wondering if there is a way to find out of there are people or groups in your network with experience using biochar to remove Cl from leachate coming from an old industrial site.”

Does anyone have data from an industrial  site?

Thanks

Executive Director
U.S. Biochar Initiative
"Promoting the Sustainable Production and Use of Biochar"
@USbiochar

Hugh McLaughlin

Stephen,

I would expect chlorides to be the least tightly bound anion and the first to be displaced. Sodium shares the same distinction for cations - hence the salt water in the oceans.

Please share the basis of your statement about "moping up".

Hugh McLaughlin

On Thursday, March 18, 2021, 2:21:13 AM EDT, Stephen Joseph <joey.stephen@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Hugh

This comes from the work we have done on reactive barriers in salt effected lands.  I have posted this before. Remember if you react biochar with minerals and organic matter you produce an organomineral layer on its surface and there are now sites for both anion and cation exchange.

We have publish a number of papers now on how you can improve the anion exchange capacity of biochars so as we all know all biochar are not equal.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 4:15 AM Hugh McLaughlin via groups.io <wastemin1=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Many thanks Rick,

Tom

Tom, here is an overview of work that I was involved with removing chlorides from industrial wastewater.  Rick

On Mar 17, 2021, at 10:31 AM, Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

Does anyone have experience using biochars for chlorine capture from old industrial sites? We recently received this question:

“I am wondering if there is a way to find out of there are people or groups in your network with experience using biochar to remove Cl from leachate coming from an old industrial site.”

Does anyone have data from an industrial  site?

Thanks

Executive Director

U.S. Biochar Initiative

"Promoting the Sustainable Production and Use of Biochar"

@USbiochar

Stephen Joseph

Just to recap.  here is the work we did on reactive barriers to stop salt flooding degraded land.  Similar concept but uses these barriers with high abundance of fungi with trees.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 10:03 AM Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

Many thanks Rick,

Tom

Tom, here is an overview of work that I was involved with removing chlorides from industrial wastewater.  Rick

On Mar 17, 2021, at 10:31 AM, Tom Miles <tmiles@...> wrote:

Does anyone have experience using biochars for chlorine capture from old industrial sites? We recently received this question:

“I am wondering if there is a way to find out of there are people or groups in your network with experience using biochar to remove Cl from leachate coming from an old industrial site.â€

Does anyone have data from an industrial  site?

Thanks

Executive Director

U.S. Biochar Initiative

"Promoting the Sustainable Production and Use of Biochar"

www.biochar-us.org

@USbiochar

Tom Miles

Very helpful, Stephen. Thanks