Topics

[EXT]Re: [Biochar] Biochar pest control #pest

Robert Masson

Thank you Mike for reaching out.

I will include your whitefly mix in the lecture. What’s your last name?

Also on the biochar minimum risk pesticide! Great tips, thank you!

Yes, you probably did the bremia work with Dr. Bindu Poudel, or her predecessor Dr. Mike Matheron, who has recently passed.

I’m working with several parties to bring biochar to Yuma, if you’re interested in joining up with biochar folks here let me know; trying to continue the biochar movement.

Have a great weekend,

Robert Masson

Assistant Agricultural Agent

Yuma County Cooperative Extension

919-889-0855

From: main@Biochar.groups.io <main@Biochar.groups.io> On Behalf Of mikethewormguy via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2020 6:54 PM
To: main@Biochar.groups.io
Subject: [EXT]Re: [Biochar] Biochar pest control

External Email

Robert,

We have experience with the use of wood biochar powder in a garlic extract solution to mitigate the effect of female fruit flies on organic blue berries.

Biomass char can be included into a USEPA 25b Minimum Risk Pesticide application for organic certified crops.....

BTW.....Did an interesting spinach downy mildew trial in Yuma with extension folks, a few years ago as part of the International Spinach Conference.  Yes..you can find folks to attend a conference about only spinach.... ....

Contact me directly via email or phone.....

Mike
414-719-1656 CST
mikethewormguy@...
Green Quest LLC www.onagreenquest.net
BioSpecific LLC www.biospecific.farm 

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 08:07 AM, Robert Masson wrote:

Good morning,

I am an agricultural extension agent in Yuma County Arizona.

I am looking for reference material on how biochar can help with commercial agriculture pest control.

I am presenting at an IPM workshop and they only give PCA training credit hours if the topic is pest control themed.

I want to promote use of biochar using this platform, so I need some reference material.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Robert Masson

Assistant Agricultural Agent

Yuma County Cooperative Extension

919-889-0855

mikethewormguy

Robert,

We worked with Dr. Mike. Sorry to hear of his passing. I enjoyed working with him on the spinach downy mildew trials.

On the garlic spray, the grower applied the liquid via a mist blower at a rate of 100 gallons of diluted solution an acre. The grower decided when to apply the spray. It was used as a preventive rather than as a treatment.

In the garlic spray, biomass char is used as an ingredient and not as a stand alone input. The char works as an adjuvant.

In addition, garlic applied at 6% (v/v) can trigger bud break. I suspect some wood biochar powder could be used in this application to provide some residual pest mitigation. Garlic provides sulfur which triggers bud break, as well as, is a biostimulant at that concentration. It also serves as it's own sticker tracker due to the saponins content. 

We apply garlic at 6% as a general purpose preventive foliar spray. Garlic is a 25b MRP active ....

Also, if you are defining pest to include both bad microbes and bad insects than using wood biomass char, as a microbial carrier, in another way to use biochar in pest control.

We also use other types of biomass chars, like wheat straw, along with rock minerals to help improve plant health and resilience.

A healthy and resilient plant is by far the best pest control.

We would be happy to connect with the Yuma biochar folks.  The more CHARmin folks the better to get the word out. Innovation is after all a contact sport.

my 2 cents,

Mike Flynn, farmer, scientist, wormguy.....
Green Quest LLC www.onagreenquest.net)
BioSpecific LLC (www.biospecific.farm)

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

mikethewormguy

Robert,

BTW.....It would be great to hear about your baby leaf hemp trials....  

Mike Flynn

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone