Topics

[EXTERN] Re: [EXTERN] Re: [Biochar] Creation of Task Forces to advance the implementation of the "4 per 1000" Strategic Plan #4per1000

Claudia Kammann

Thanks, Ron, it is definitely good when more people knowledgeable on biochar are on board!

Von: Ronal Larson <rongretlarson@...>
Gesendet: Samstag, 12. September 2020 21:07
An: main@biochar.groups.io
Cc: Kammann, Prof. Dr. Claudia <Claudia.Kammann@...>; Stephen Joseph <joey.stephen@...>; Trevor Richards <trevor@...>
Betreff: [EXTERN] Re: [EXTERN] Re: [Biochar] Creation of Task Forces to advance the implementation of the "4 per 1000" Strategic Plan #4per1000

Claudia, Stephen, Trevor and list

            Thanks for the alert.  I decided to apply.  Everyone might be limited to two of 24 groups.   Signing up took about 20 minutes.   No guarantee of acceptance.

            I listened last May to a 5-day North-American (more Canadian than US) 4p1000 webinar-type meeting.  Last week the meeting summary was sent out - see; https://www.4p1000.org/sites/default/files/english/report_1st_meeting_4p1000_narm_03_sept_2020_-_english_1.pdf.

            The word ‘biochar” appears 33 times - I think all related to comments - not presentations.

            The last line of that report’s summary of the first day  was by Paul Luu - the director of 4p1000, who said about biochar (p42) “  "It is important to evaluate it quickly. Farmers are very enthusiastic; scientists are more reluctant." P. Luu.

            This surprises me a little - because most scientists I read (especially soil scientists) are “very enthusiastic’.  As Luu moderated over the 5 days, I thought he was surprised about the many biochar comments - and was always very fair in dealing with biochar commenters.

            4p1000 may sound like a small goal.  It is not.  This group could be a big help to promoting biochar.

Ron

On Sep 12, 2020, at 3:47 AM, Claudia Kammann <claudia.kammann@...> wrote:

Hi Joey, Hi all,

in a way, I found my way there, too, because I got nominated the representative of Hochschule Geisenheim University for 4per1000 – our institution joined the 4per1000 initiative early on when it was not well known yet.

Our president is quite dedicated to all measures combatting climate change and is aware of the utter importance of soils in this regard J, but since he has so much on his plate I volunteered.

And as you well know, with me rides the biochar topic... can’t have one without the other. So, here you go ;)

chars to all,

Claudia