From: NRReppress <nrreppress@...>
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2021 2:02 PM
To: NRReppress <nrreppress@...>
Subject: Westerman Leads Bipartisan Introduction of The Trillion Trees Act

View this article online Westerman Leads Bipartisan Introduction of The Trillion Trees Act

Natural Resources Republicans

Westerman Leads Bipartisan Introduction of The Trillion Trees Act

For Immediate Release: April 19, 2021

Contact: Rebekah Hoshiko (202) 225-2761

Washington - Today, House Committee on Natural Resources Ranking Member Bruce Westerman (R-Ark.) was joined by House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), House Committee on Agriculture Ranking Member Glenn 'GT' Thompson (R-Penn.), House Committee on Appropriations Ranking Member Kay Granger (R-Texas), House Committee on Energy and Commerce Ranking Member Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.) and 67 other members in introducing the Trillion Trees Act of 2021.

"Despite incredible improvements in technology, trees are still the most large-scale, cost-effective and environmentally-friendly carbon sequestration devices we have. Growing more trees to pull carbon from the atmosphere, scientifically managing our forests to mitigate catastrophic wildfires and incentivizing the use of wood products as renewable resources provides a comprehensive, practical solution to the climate issues we're facing today. I'm a licensed forester, and I've spent years studying the best way to utilize forests to improve our air and water quality, wildlife habitats and much more. The Trillion Trees Act accomplishes all of those goals. These are the kinds of free market driven environmental solutions that conservatism is all about, ones that incentivize economic growth without sacrificing a healthy, thriving environment. I'm proud to introduce the Trillion Trees Act again this Congress, and I'm grateful to my colleagues on both sides of the aisle who have joined the effort." - House Committee on Natural Resources Ranking Member Bruce Westerman (R-Ark.)

"The United States has led the world in reducing emissions in the past decade. From technology to investments in infrastructure, American leadership will make it possible to reduce emissions around the world. The same is true for conservation. We can build on our success in reducing emissions by planting trees around the world and better managing our forests here at home. I am proud to cosponsor the Trillion Trees Act because it provides actionable solutions to achieve cleaner air, reduce wildfires, and reverse the effects of deforestation. This legislation gives every American and their communities the chance to be a part of the solution, and sets an example for the rest of the world." - House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.)

"By ramping up active management and tree planting, healthy forests will play an important role in the climate discussion as they become even stronger carbon sinks. While we continue to bring climate solutions to the table, the Forest Service, working together with states, and private landowners, must use every tool available to promote forest health and resiliency. I thank my colleague, Ranking Member Westerman, for his leadership on this creative legislation. I look forward to working with him to advance this proposal and other natural climate solutions within the jurisdiction of the Agriculture Committee put forward this week by our Republican colleagues." - House Committee on Agriculture Ranking Member Glenn ‘GT’ Thompson (R-Penn.)

"We owe it to generations to come to be responsible stewards of our environment—as well as our economy. The Trillion Trees Act is sensible legislation that will lower carbon in our atmosphere by planting and protecting our forests, creating American jobs along the way. Planting a trillion trees would cut roughly two-thirds of all the man-made carbon emissions that have been created since the Industrial Revolution. As a conservation-minded Texan, I’m proud to be part of this incredible bipartisan effort that encourages all Americans to responsibly grow, use, and preserve our nation’s rich natural resources." - House Committee on Appropriations Ranking Member Kay Granger (R-Texas)

"To win the future we must embrace bold ideas and result-driven climate solutions. The goal of planting a trillion trees is an ambitious one that has the ability to change the world by sequestering 205 gigatons of carbon while supporting jobs, healthy forests, and advancements in clean energy. Eastern Washington’s forests are part of the solution for delivering results for the next generation." - House Committee on Energy and Commerce Ranking Member Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.)

Background

The Trillion Trees Act is a bipartisan bill, supported by more than 30 stakeholder groups, that will solidify the United States as a global leader of the One Trillion Trees Initiative to conserve, restore and grow 1 trillion trees worldwide. Studies show that restoring 1 trillion new trees globally would sequester 205 gigatons of carbon, an amount equivalent to two-thirds of all manmade emissions remaining in the atmosphere today.

The Trillion Trees Act uses a three-pronged approach of regeneration, management and utilization to grow more wood and store more carbon globally.

Read a section-by-section breakdown of the legislation, full bill text and more here.

Original cosponsors: U.S. Reps. Mark Amodei (R-Nev.), Kelly Armstrong (R-N.D.), Don Bacon (R-Neb.), Jim Baird (R-Ind.), Andy Barr (R-Ky.), Cliff Bentz (R-Ore.), Sanford Bishop (D-Ga.), Tim Burchett (R-Tenn.), Ken Calvert (R-Calif.), Jerry Carl (R-Ala.), Earl L. "Buddy" Carter (R-Ga.), Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), Tom Cole (R-Okla.), Rick Crawford (R-Ark.), Dan Crenshaw (R-Texas), Henry Cuellar (D-Texas), John Curtis (R-Utah), Rodney Davis (R-Ill.), Michelle Fischbach (R-Minn.), Jeff Fortenberry (R-Neb.), Virginia Foxx (R-N.C.), Russ Fulcher (R-Idaho), Anthony Gonzalez (R-Ohio), Jenniffer González Colón (R-Puerto Rico), Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.), Kay Granger (R-Texas), Garret Graves (R-La.), Yvette Herrell (R-N.M.), Clay Higgins (R-La.), French Hill (R-Ark.), Dusty Johnson (R-S.D.), Dave Joyce (R-Ohio), Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.), Trent Kelly (R-Miss.), Young Kim (R-Calif.), Bob Latta (R-Ohio), Debbie Lesko (R-Ariz.), Frank Lucas (R-Okla.), Nancy Mace (R-S.C.), Nicole Malliotakis (R-N.Y.), Tracey Mann (R-Kansas), Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), Michael McCaul (R-Texas), Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.), Peter Meijer (R-Mich.), Dan Meuser (R-Penn.), Mariannette Miller-Meeks (R-Iowa), Blake Moore (R-Utah), Dan Newhouse (R-Wash.), Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), Jay Obernolte (R-Calif.), Burgess Owens (R-Utah), Amata Coleman Radewagen (R-American Samoa), Mike Rogers (R-Ala.), David Rouzer (R-N.C.), Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.), Austin Scott (R-Ga.), Mike Simpson (R-Idaho), Pete Stauber (R-Minn.), Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.), Chris Stewart (R-Utah), Steve Stivers (R-Ohio), Glenn "GT" Thompson (R-Penn.), Tom Tiffany (R-Wis.), David Valadao (R-Calif.), Randy Weber (R-Texas), Daniel Webster (R-Fla.), Joe Wilson (R-S.C.), Rob Wittman (R-Va.), Steve Womack (R-Ark.) and Don Young (R-Alaska).

###

facebook icon twitter icon  instagram icon  Contact us

Click Here to view this email in your browser
Click Here to be removed from this list

Teel, Wayne

Be still my skeptical heart.  I love the idea of planting a trillion trees.  I have promoted it for years.  But the representatives supporting this initiative also support opening up the Tongass roadless area for logging, eliminating National Monuments, clear cut logging operations, and think Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil is doing a good job.  So, I hope this bill happens, but I also hope they start thinking about conservation, more selective forest extraction, and better environmental policies in general.  I think we should read the fine print on most bills before we celebrate.

Wayne

Following is the Trillion Trees Act which now incorporates biochar for carbon recovery.

Tom

[...]

Tom Miles

We might also be seeing biochar in a bill coming from another committee. I assume that there be some wrangling which hopefully biochar can survive.

Tom